3DS Hits North America on March 27 for $249.99

Posted by Jon Wahlgren

Games, prices, details - all inside!

Nintendo of America just confirmed its new 3DS console will launch on March 27 for $249.99, available in Cosmo Black or Aqua Blue.

Nintendo claims 30 games will accompany the console on or near (before the end of June) launch. The list of titles confirmed as in development for 3DS includes:

Nintendo:

• Animal Crossing (Nintendo)
  • Kid Icarus Uprising (Nintendo)
  • Mario Kart 3DS (Nintendo)
  • nintendogs + cats (Nintendo)
  • PaperMario (Nintendo)
  • PilotWings Resort (Nintendo)
  • StarFox 64 3D (Nintendo)
  • Steel Diver (Nintendo)
  • Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (Nintendo)

Third Party Games:

• Super Street Fighter® IV 3D Edition (Capcom)
  • Resident Evil®: The Mercenaries 3D (Capcom)
  • Madden NFL Football (EA)
  • The Sims™ 3 (EA)
  • Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D (Konami)
  • LEGO® Star Wars® III: The Clone Wars™ (LucasArts)
  • Ridge Racer® 3D (Namco)
  • Dual Pen Sports™ (Namco)
  • Super Monkey Ball™ 3D (SEGA)
  • Thor™: God of Thunder (SEGA)
  • CRUSH™ 3D (SEGA)
  • BUST-A-MOVE™ UNIVERSE (Square Enix)
  • Samurai Warriors® Chronicles (Tecmo)
  • Dead or Alive® Dimensions (Tecmo)
  • Asphalt™ 3D (Ubisoft)
  • Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon® Shadow Wars (Ubisoft)
  • Combat of Giants™: Dinosaurs 3D (Ubisoft)
  • Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell® 3D (Ubisoft)
  • Rayman® 3D (Ubisoft)
  • Rabbids® Travel in Time (Ubisoft)
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked (Atlus)

Here's what your dollars will get you inside the box:

• Nintendo 3DS system
  • Nintendo 3DS charging cradle
  • Nintendo 3DS AC adapter
  • Nintendo 3DS stylus
  • SD Memory Card (2GB)
  • 6 AR Card(s) (view the cards using the outer cameras to play supported AR games)
  • Quick-Start Guide
  • Operations Manual (including warranty)

Our man Jonathan Wahlgren is at the New York 3DS event and will have more updates for you later on today. Keep your eyes on our 3DS live text for new updates as and when they happen.

NintenDude97

NintenDude97 said:

Yeah, I sure am exited about the price! If it was $300 I wouldn't be able to buy it at the launch.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

Only 3 launch games in US? I thought this was supposed to have a huge launch line-up.
Judging by the live text (unless I've misread it), Europe gets 8 launch titles. But they're hardly an inspiring collection.

Xkhaoz

Xkhaoz said:

Kinda disappointed with the launch games, but the price is most certainly right. And the date is good as well.

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

While the three-games-at-launch is a disappointment, I'm happy about the price.

Hardy83

Hardy83 said:

Should note that it's 3 launch titles during the systems launch DAY.
Within the week he said there would be 7 or something, and by the next E3 they'll be over 30 gamesish.

Also $250 is too much for me. Dunno about other people.

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

If those are all the launch titles, I definitely won't be rushing out for this.

I'll get it eventually, but I'll at least wait until it has a game I want to play.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

Burning_Spear

Burning_Spear said:

"I don't think it's JUST 3 games. Note that it mentions Konami and EA and there are no games that Nintendolife has listed. I know The Sims 3, Super Monkey Ball and a few others will be available at launch."

Apparently Reggie said he couldn't confirm all of the launch titles; just the three listed above.

zezhyrule

zezhyrule said:

those are some sad launch titles (imo) but I'm waiting for the lite anyway so I could care less :3

/me comes back in two years realizing that there was never a lite and buys a normal one only to have a lite announced the next day

motang

motang said:

I was willing to go up to $250 (just as with the Wii back in 2006), so I am still game.

Ecto-1

Ecto-1 said:

There will be more than three titles at launch. Notice that they listed Nintendogs + Cats as a launch title. That game is published by Nintendo, not one of the three publishers mentioned (Capcom, EA, and Konami). Therefore, there will be at least FOUR launch titles. Crisis averted.

Rensch

Rensch said:

Will that be the same price in euros? They didn't say anything about the price at the presentation here in the Netherlands.

Link79

Link79 said:

Wasn't the Wii about $250 when it launched? I thought the 3DS would be a little cheaper but that's not a bad price. Not sure yet If I want one on the first day. I bought my Wii on the first day and it had to be repaired three times since then. Early models always seem to have problems.

Burn

Burn said:

Not surprised, I'm still on board though. I'm eyeing that black 3DS now...

HolyMackerel

HolyMackerel said:

Three launch titles is no biggie. The post-release months should have at least 25 new releases for the 3DS.

@Rensch It definitely won't be the converted US price in Euros or GBP. It will likely be more expensive in the EU.

madgear

madgear said:

I wonder if it'll be a straight translation from $250 to £250 in the UK. If so then it's way too much - but if translated fairly it's probably not a bad price.

I'm still going to hold off on getting one, though. The region lock has put me off - I don't see the point of buying a console for travelling if I can't buy games when on the move.

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

lets see: short supply of systems, high launch price, very few games available, limited color options, not knowing what to really expect of the new system....

yeah I've been down that road with the gamecube, GBA, DS, and Wii. I think I'll wait for once thanks.

HappyHappy

HappyHappy said:

I'll be getting this sometime during the summer, hopefully there will be a lot more games availiable by then.

Dragon_Warrior

Dragon_Warrior said:

I wonder what they will release for Virtual Handheld on the launch day? Anyways, with the pathetic list of launch titles maybe getting one on day one won't be all that hard in NA.

irken004

irken004 said:

There's a launch window of "30+ titles," So those are just a few of the games that should be available around launch.

jsdman1234

jsdman1234 said:

I saw this posting and the price and I JIZZED, IN MY PANTS!
Seriously, I thought that it was gonna be through the fricken' roof! I was hearing 500, 350, 375, I was like, D:! Now I is happys!

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

Seems like a fair price to me! And since it's coming up soon, I suppose it's time to pre-order and start saving! :D

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

NintenDogs+Cats?! That's the only wholesome reaping-with-Nintendo-goodness title I can get on launch day? Also, for $250 dollars, I would expect it to come bundled with something. That's $100 more than the $150 DS Phat launch back in November 2004, which actually came bundled with a game, albeit just a demo of Prime Hunters. Come on, Nintendo... Oh well. My fiance will undoubtedly enjoy playing NintenDogs+Cats until they release something better. I was planning on getting it for her anyway ;)

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

Meh, I'll buy a few and mark them up on eBay. With only 3 games at launch I'll wait before getting one of my own. The price is still a little high, but $50 less than I feared.

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

awww boo theres no red one oh well cosmo black it is i'll just get the red one later lol :P

WarioFan63

WarioFan63 said:

@StarDust well it DOES come bundled with some pre-installed games and SIX AR games. Their not on a cartridge but their still games and should keep you more satisfied then a Metroid Prime Hunters demo.

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

I'll betcha Animal Crossing will be the first non-launch first party game to release. Seems like the perfect game to take advantage of Streetpass, Pedometer coins and persistent online.

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

■Animal Crossing
■Kid Icarus Uprising
■Mario Kart 3DS
■PaperMario
■Resident Evil®: The Mercenaries 3D
■Super Monkey Ball™ 3D
■Ridge Racer® 3D
■Asphalt™ 3D

all day one buys WOOOOOOOT :P

kevohki

kevohki said:

Glad it's only $250 but that battery life is still a deal breaker for me. Plus it never hurts to wait for a better selection of colors.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

Cool, I had a feeling about March 27th being the launch day. I was thinking that it would be priced at $299 so I am pretty satisfied with the price. My only disappointment is not being able to get a red one at launch. I need to go and pre-order mine TODAY!!!:D

Late

Late said:

I hope Europe price will be around that too. I must pay that much for Nintendo DSi XL here in Finland so I think it will be more than that but I can always hope that price won't raise.
Next thing I wanna know is how much games will cost.

Pegasus

Pegasus said:

Just put my preorder in at Amazon, now that they're finally taking them. It'll be interesting to see when mine will be shipping out. I don't expect to get it around launch, but a few months down the road is fine either way. Standing in line for anything video-game related just seems silly to me.

Crunc

Crunc said:

Paper Mario proper sequel (I hope?) is a system seller for me. But... $250 is a lot of money. Not sure I'm going to get it at launch.

Natie31

Natie31 said:

Hope i can trade in my DSI XL for this one at gamestop for less money, can we?

LunarJade

LunarJade said:

I still want one... I'll probably put a preorder through now and think it over for the next few days.
I'm going to Japan over the summer and I wanted to have one to take with me to see what happens with the streetpass while over there.

SuperMarioFan96

SuperMarioFan96 said:

Don't know where the "only 3 launch titles" is coming from (keep in mind I just got here) but if all THAT will be available during the first 3 months than it sounds pretty good to me!

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@morphballer: This is a Nintendo system...of course we don't! We'll be lucky if we find out more than a week in advance.:P

@triforceofcourage: Of course not! Like I've been saying, we need to get the fourth DS title in the series before we get the 3DS one.

I was fully expecting and willing to pay $300, so I'm thrilled for this news! I really like the color selection, too...when's the last time they had a blue this pretty? But now I have to choose...then go to GameStop and finalize the selection on my existing reservation.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I got the price right! I had a feeling it would come on the last sunday, but I didn't want to say for sure. $250 might be expensive for a handheld, but it could've been a lot worse. I'm actually fine with no reasonable launch titles because it could make it easier for me to get a 3DS at just the price. A pre-order from me might be likely. I'm torn between Aqua Blue and Cosmos Black.

Jumpman

Jumpman said:

Interesting, very interesting. Just Kidding :) I CANNOT BELIEVE IT! AAAAAGGGHHH

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@JesusSaves: I agree with WolfRamHeart. Also, I think your definition of "reasonable" pricing needs some work. For the tech that's going into the 3DS, under $100 is a hilarious pipe dream, and will be until there's a new, better system to replace it.

Symphony1125

Symphony1125 said:

Um... I thought that Ninja Gaiden was confirmed as in development... how come that's not on the list?

astarisborn94

astarisborn94 said:

The list within the first three months looks fantastic. If not for me getting a PS3 early this month, I would be saving up right now. Should try to get it for the holidays. Also, for a technology marvel like this, $250 isn't a bad deal, although I might wait for a price drop.

Panthon13

Panthon13 said:

Preordered through Amazon now. Gotta wait for some game announcements now.... like... game release dates for my picks. I wonder why Kid Icarus isn't starring as the lead release game, like he was supposed to?

Moco_Loco

Moco_Loco said:

Part of the appeal of the DS was getting a great system at a great price. I don't think many casual gamers are willing to part with $250 for what they will see as just a 3D version of the DS.

It seems like everything Nintendo used to do right (keeping costs down by using older tech and getting long battery life out of handhelds) they are doing wrong with the 3DS. They're getting as cocky as Sony was when they launched the PSP.

Who knows? They might be right to be cocky. I wish them well, but the 3DS has more tech than I really need and costs more than I am willing to pay at this point.

SteveW

SteveW said:

At $250 I'll just buy the games I want and hang on to them until the 3D XL is announced. I just can't deal with the smaller screens at that price.

JDO

JDO said:

I agree with the last two comments. No way I'm paying $250 to go back to a DS with a tiny screen after using the DSi XL version. especially since I'll have to repurchase all of my favorite games at a higher price just so I can play them in 3D. No 3DS XL, no purchase!

Zeldaterasu

Zeldaterasu said:

Price isn't terrible, but it's still more than I want to shell out. No matter, since I'm waiting for the inevitable remodel when they work out all the kinks, including that unacceptable battery life. Plus, the only must-buy on that list is Kid Icarus. Give it time for the really great titles to release.

rjejr

rjejr said:

While the $250 is a bit much for me (not an early adopter anyway, though I did get the Wii a month after launch) and others here, I don't see it as too much for the system. I bet if Nintendo could they would go back and reprice the Wii at $299 and still be sold out the first 3 years it was out. Why offer a cheaper price just to be completley sold out for 3 years when you can charge more and be completely sold out for only 1 or 2 years and THEN lower the price. DS lite is $129 and DSi $149 and DSiXL $179 so Nintendo should get what they can now and lower the price when and if sales slow. Smart business.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Figured this price. Won't stop me at all. Day 1 purchase, and yes, I love tax time too. I'll be putting money ASAP. Launch titles don't bother me, I'm waiting for Mario Kart and Kid Icarus personally, and I'll be busy playing with the new features in the meantime.