3DS Details Unleashed at Japanese Press Event

Posted by Corbie Dillard

Nintendo releases 3DS information

For those of you who don't already know, Nintendo is holding a special news conference to release details on their plans for the upcoming 3DS system. We'll be posting tidbits of information in this article as they announce them.

• 3DS will be released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and will retail for 25,000 yen ($297.00 USD)
  • Japanese launch will include Aqua Blue and Cosmos Black colors
  • 3DS system will come packaged with a 2GB SD Card included
  • 3DS will launch in North America and Europe in March 2011
  • 3DS to feature a Virtual Console service where titles from the Game Boy catalogue will be released, as well as "classic" games in 3D
  • The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening and Super Mario Land among first games to likely hit 3DS Virtual Console store
  • All 3DS games will be able to communicate even while the system is in sleep mode
  • Street Fighter IV 3DS will be able to receive fight requests via the unit's Wi-Fi function
  • 3DS trailers shown: Professor Layton, Ridge Racer, Starfox 64, Animal Crossing, Paper Mario, and Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • Can use the 3DS camera to take a photo of yourself that the system can use to help you create your Mii. Your Mii can then be saved to the SD card
  • A light on the 3DS will let you know when you're in range of another 3DS system and when data has been exchanged
  • DSiWare games will be transferable from DSi and DSi XL systems to a 3DS system, although some restrictions will apply.

As you can see, not a lot of information was revealed for regions outside of Japan, but that was pretty much expected. The nearly $300 price tag for Japan is probably a bit higher than most predicted, but given how impressive the unit is in person, it's not terribly surprising. The highlight would probably have to be the announcement of classic Game Boy and Game Boy Advance titles being released on a Virtual Console-type service. Now not only will gamers get to enjoy these games, but they'll also get to enjoy certain classic games in 3D. It's also nice to see such a strong showing of support by so many third party publishers.

We'll keep you posted on any new information on Nintendo's highly-anticipated new portable game system as it becomes available. Stay tuned.

Aviator

Aviator said:

Yay? Still not hyped.

The two colors at launch in Japan are Aqua Blue and Cosmos Black.

Deviant_Mugen

Deviant_Mugen said:

Awesome news. I want the Cosmos Black one...

Also, come on Metroid II: The Return of Samus on 3DS VC!

Kimiko

Kimiko said:

I want SNES and PS1 games on virtual console. Surely this handheld has the CPU/graphics power to play them?

Kaeobais

Kaeobais said:

Too .... much ... awe ... some ... can't ... comp ... re ... hend ....... GAHHHHHH! I LOVE NINTENDO!

FunderThucker

FunderThucker said:

This looks super cool, but oouuucchhh $297. I guess I was too optimistic to hope for $200. I think I'm just going to get a Ps3 till the price drops...if it ever drops.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

Wow, you guys sure posted this news fast! I am most excited about the Game Boy/Game Boy Advance Virtual Console!

Kokstra

Kokstra said:

I literally said "WHAT!" when I read the price and again when I read about the Virtual Console 3D!

mjc0961

mjc0961 said:

Comes with a 2GB SD card in the box and I can transfer over my current DSiWare titles? Nice.

citizenerased

citizenerased said:

People complaining/surprised about the price: The Wii launched for 25000 Yen too. The Dollar just sucks right now, so if you're gonna convert it it's gonna be almost $300. That doesn't mean it's gonna launch for $300 in the US, because the Wii launched for $250.

tvshowking

tvshowking said:

I remember the Wii being around 25000 yen at its launch in Japan, so I'm predicting a $250/£180 price.

JamieOStaff

JamieO said:

To put it simply, for me the GB/GBA Virtual Console service is the best bit of news to come out of the entire Japanese Nintendo news conference. We have waited for this for ages, I can not even remember how many times I have said, " I might get chance to play GBA Ninja Five-0, now!"

Excellent news, Corbie.

FunderThucker

FunderThucker said:

Oh good. $250 isn't bad, I can get behind that. I'm going to need to get some way to make some cash though till then.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I'd expect the launch price to be $249.99 in the US. I can't see them pricing it much above that.

Peznaze

Peznaze said:

They really made it sound like a portable Wii that's always got WiiConnect24 on and 3D graphics.

I still have to wait on more particulars before I commit that much money, but it's looking good so far... just not in those colors. heh

Yamishi

Yamishi said:

Gameboy Advance games?
Transferrable DSiWare?

I'm in. Price point be damned.

Terra

Terra said:

It's all looking pretty good right now. Hopefully there'll be no region locks for the console

HolyMackerel

HolyMackerel said:

Wow, everything about it sounds perfect. :) Also, for the massive amounts of features you're getting, I think the price is fairly reasonable. (Also the free 2GB SD card is a very smart move!)

Let's hope the online service is just as excellent!

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

If they can deliver all they've talked about, I'll gladly toss out the $250-ish bucks.

mizumaru

mizumaru said:

If Virtual Handheld functions better than Virtual Console....I will be broke.

Fuzzy

Fuzzy said:

It'll probably be about $300-350 over here. If it comes with a game or something with it, I won't mind. :)

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

This is all wonderful news. Now I won't have to worry about downloading DSiware and a Virtual Handheld is a reality! And I didn't expect to get all this news this morning! Go 3DS!

Now I need some Kid Icarus Uprising news!

Kevin

Kevin said:

The 3DS is gonna be amazing! I don't care if it ends up being $300 now. Everything coming out for it is gonna be worth the money.

Natie31

Natie31 said:

So happy just want to cry. Cant wait March is my b-day, great gift for me.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

I dig the Aqua Blue, personally. And the Camera-Mii feature and AR cards are very neat, just the thing that you can show to anyone, gamer or not, and make them say, "whoa, cool!" This system will be a word-of-mouth wildfire.

Alphack3r

Alphack3r said:

No one's gunna believe us when we talk about it...oh well, I guess that just means we don't have to worry about them stealing our pre-orders!
I wonder how the DSiware transfer is gunna work, because I might end up using my dear dear DSi to subsidize the $250-300 price tag...heck, if worse comes to worse I'll just save all my Christmas money & ask my parents 2 pay the rest for my birthday!
Yay!
I've gotten a Nintendo system for every birthday since my DS lite in 2007 (Lite, Wii, DSi, SNES...3DS!!!!!)
Totally stoked. :D

Objection

Objection said:

Oh boy another VC service for everyone to complain about. :P

But seriously, I think the time and price is good, though it'll likely be $250 or $280 in NA.

Nintenzo

Nintenzo said:

300 dollars? Even with all of the awesome features included, that seems like a lot...

Robo-goose

Robo-goose said:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESS!! Transferable dsiware is perfect! I was not expecting Nintendo to do something like that, considering they didn't do it with the dsiXL!

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

@Objection
You sir, just won the thread. Very funny!

At least you can sell the DSi to subsidize the super high price now that there's a transfer solution.

I'd rather they not include an SD card (isn't there supposed to be a couple gigs of internal memory?). I have a 4GB already, so I'd be set for a while without the one built in and could use the lower price (even if it's not much lower). If I needed to upgrade, I'd want something bigger than 2 GB.

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

obviously the best part of the news is the Virtual Handheld... any ideas on whether there will be other consoles involved, too, though? Game Gear? Wonder Swan?

LuWiiGi

LuWiiGi said:

Transferrable DSiWare means I can sell my DSi! And VH? Fantastic! Also, the Mii thing sounds great. Can someone please convert the price to British pounds please? I would be very grateful.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

After all the Youtube CD-I parody vids I've seen, This is 1 thing that King Harkinian doesn't own,..yet.

Anyway, I wanna get 1 when they release here in NA, but I have a feeling that Nintendo will release an upgraded version of it w/i a year, & the price is a bit steep for something I currently know only so much about. Thought, & prayer are going into this decision, since my money is tight! Albeit it I'm still making do anyway.

Iggy

Iggy said:

Sweet thats good to hear it has a vc thats good news but that 300 dollar price tag is pretty steep. Dont get me wrong im sure they put alot of work into it but thats the price of home consoles not portables. Does that mean the next wii is going to be around 500-600 bucks? And come on nintendo only 2 color choices. The only reason why they do that is because they release new colors later to have ppl buy a completely new system or for ones that havent bought one to get one. They should really think about the loyal customers that buy it right away only to figure out there favorite color got release a year later.I know its just a color but they really should release more options maybe thats just me? But anyways its relaeased around my birthday so ill propally buy it reguardless...

fishman100

fishman100 said:

Man, I can hardly believe it. The next gen of video gaming is just around the corner.

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

Yeah, I'm sure we'll go through the whole process of adding 3rd party handheld systems to the 3DS VC like the GameGear, and hopefully by adding 3D technology that means we'll see the Virtual Boy games released! :p

Still no Left-Handed support here Nintendo, what am I supposed to do, turn into a Right-Hander!?!?!? WTF that's impossible and its bs! They could easily just put another analogue thumb stick on the right side of the system. I think I'll wait for the "remodel" like the GBA SP was and the DS Lite was, and for the price to come down in a year or two (possibly already in time for christmas next year) and for more colors to come out.

Nintendoftw

Nintendoftw said:

THis thing should have one price drop- in maybe 2 or 3 years into it's lifetime to maybe 250$.

koops330

koops330 said:

The price needs to be lowered I can't afford that $300. I couldn't even afford to buy my Wii.

I may have to wait 2 or 3 years after it is lunched before I can finally afford to get it

ToadFan

ToadFan said:

Yes finally! :D I don't mind paying around $250 for the 3DS. But $329.99 is my limit.

Iggy

Iggy said:

@59
I understand it would suck being a lefty for reason like this but to put another analog stick on the other side would be pointless. And the precent of ppl that are left handed im sure is small and for video gamers propally even smaller and to have aother analog stick would make the 3DS look really werid. People wouldnt want another analog stick on there portable that they would never use so i dont know how u can think its bs. Sorry if I sound rude but just hope it comes in models for lefties or they some how make it so lefties can play with the same experience as right handers.

KiroX777

KiroX777 said:

a 1.5GB internal memory PLUS a 2GB sdcard?? that is what im talkin about! so developers have no excuse to make puny ass 1MB dsiware/3DSware anymore =D