EU VC Releases: Earthworm Jim and Shining Force II

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

A Sega duo hits the Wii Shop today. And it's not just any duo, as both of the games are extremely well-liked cult classics, which many Sega fans have been longing for.

In Earthworm Jim you take control of Jim, an earthworm who was lucky enough to have a power suit fall on top of him, thus giving him a body and special abilties normal earthworms wouldn't have. The game itself is a very competent platformer/action hybrid, featuring some of the most spectacular Mega Drive graphics and a great soundtrack as well.

Shining Force II is, of course, the sequel to the already available Shining Force. The second game improves on the first in a lot of ways while keeping the same basic gameplay, meaning that it's basically the same, except better. Not just a bit better though - A lot better. This installment is generally regarded as the best in the franchise, so it is a very welcome addition to the VC. If you're a strategy game fan and haven't played Shining Force II now is the time to do so!

Sadly, while we did get two great games, it's all there is this week. Next week is most likely WiiWare week again, so you can look forward to more retro goodness in 2 weeks!

Related Games

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

Lucky! Earthworm Jim is a good game. The US will get it soon and yet another good edition to the VC library.

Cally

Cally said:

AWESOME!

Except, why the Megadrive version of EJ? I've never played either, but is there a reason for why one would want that and not the SNES version?

Mendez

Mendez said:

Yes! I've been waiting for Earthworm Jim for ages, I'll be downloading ASAP :)

mamac

mamac said:

first post yay! these two are good games. still waiting for others though!!!

DrakeStaff

Drake said:

@ Cally: Because the Mega Drive version came out first and has an extra level.

Bendover83

Bendover83 said:

@Cally: because its the best, IMO. I'm pretty sure we'll see this coming Monday or next. We might get the two TG16 games first.

7th_lutz

7th_lutz said:

Shining Force 2 is a great game. I recommand this game to people that enjoy playing Rrpg/strategy games.

Cocoa_Man5

Cocoa_Man5 said:

nice releases. i really hope we will see earthworm jim next week, iv'e been waiting for that one for a while now. how challenging is it anyway?

timp29

timp29 said:

These games look alright. Not what I wanted, but decent games none-the-less.

Juampi

Juampi said:

Shining Force II rocks. I've been waiting for this game for a long time now. Hope it comes to America soon.

classicmike

classicmike said:

Cool, congrats to the gamers in Eurpoe/Australia. Hopefully we will get these two classics before the year ends.

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

2 games over the course of 2 weeks is lame for you guys, but at least both games are really quite good. I really loved Earthworm Jim, so hopefully it'll come here soon as well.

AlphaNerd01

AlphaNerd01 said:

PLEASE let the US get Shining Force II on Monday. I'm actually going to hold off on buying Super Turrican 2 in hopes of SF2 coming out here.

worrybomb

worrybomb said:

Europe getting the DSi first and now Earthworm Jim AND Shining Force II?? I hate Europeans. =P

In all seriousness, it's a great update. Two great Mega Drive/Genesis games hitting the VC. Here's to hoping Shining Force II comes out this Monday for NA.

Sharecrow

Sharecrow said:

awesome!!! I have never played Shining Force II, but I have loved the first one for years. I hope the US gets it soon.

Kevin

Kevin said:

Can't wait to try out Earthworm Jim. Unfortunately I never got to play it years ago.

Will

Will said:

Un-flippin-believeable!!! What a fantastic update! Two very very quality titles from my childhood back for me to enjoy all over again, DL ASAP!!!! Or as the man would say himself: "Groovy!"

Ark

Ark said:

A four star game and a five star game. Yay! :) I hope US gets these soon.

Chipmunk777

Chipmunk777 said:

Earthworm Jim and SFII?! Awesome week guys! I hope we get these on monday, SFII was one of my favorite games way back when!

Serpent

Serpent said:

I read EARTH and I was like…”bound???” but as usual, it wasn’t
At least finally Someone gets Earthworm Jim.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Cool releases. I personally hated Earthworm Jim, but most people enjoyed it. I've heard Shining Force II was better than the original, and considering the original was really good this one must be amazing! Have fun! :)

deadly_by_design

deadly_by_design said:

I'd prefer the SNES Jim over Genesis version, with its trademark tinny sound, but eh. Guess we'll see if we get it here on Monday.

megacody

megacody said:

lol @ Serpent.

I'm glad you Europeans got Earthworm Jim. I've never played EJ, but it looks relativity fun.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Shining Force II is one of the all-time great strategy titles and Earthworm Jim is a solid platformer as well. This is a great update for the European Virtual Console.

said:

I'm not crazy about either of these games. But since they come in high demand, it is a good sign for future releases. I know Earthworm Jim is supposed to come to America before year's end, so we'll probably get it soon. Glad for people who wanted it though.

Rexy

Rexy said:

Earthworm Jim? :D

Shining Force 2?!? :D

I dub thee "One Hell of a VC Week™". This has given me something to look forward to when I come home from work, indeed!

RadioShadow

RadioShadow said:

@Cally: Because it was originally made for the Mega Drive. The SNES is more of a port (a not as good on besides the graphics have been updated, the music quality isn't as good, it lost a level and IMO is easier).

It's a sign the US will get it soon, I hope.

WoRMaSTeR

WoRMaSTeR said:

Oh my god, this came out of nowhere. Incredible week 2 brilliant releases, I could not be happier! Now to mow some space in the tiny Wii internal memory... :)

Djungelurban

Djungelurban said:

Meh, should have gone with the SNES version, it's better... But I guess you can't get everything, I'll probably get both games down the line.

slangman

slangman said:

2 good quality games this week. But it's only 2 games though. Spread that out between 2 weeks and it's the equivalent of 1 game a week.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

But with WiiWare games, its still five games in the space of two weeks which is about normal.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

Nobody has noticed this and I only just figured it out. First Friday of the Month...

Does this mean SEGA week is back?

Spread that out between 2 weeks and it's the equivalent of 1 game a week.
They're still good games though (Shining Force 2 should take a week at least to beat) in a way 2 bad games and 1 good game is better since that is 2 less bad games...

slangman

slangman said:

I am happy with the quality of this weeks releases anyway regardless. I guess the fact we got 3 WiiWare releases for the past month kinda makes up for although i am more of a VC fan. :)

WoRMaSTeR

WoRMaSTeR said:

Quality over quantaty. These good games will be downloaded at least 5 times the amount of a bad game so these releases are actually equivalent of 10 bad games.

Kultist

Kultist said:

Excellent releases for you guys! Hope US gets Earthworm Jim soon too (though I'd also prefer to get the SNES version).

Jashin

Jashin said:

Wohooooooo!

Shining Force II !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yoshisegg

yoshisegg said:

does the story from shining force 1 carry onto shining force 2 cos i didnt download number 1 therefor dont wnna download it and not have a clue whats going on?

Rootbeer

Rootbeer said:

What an awesome couple of releases for Europe. Kinda stinks that after getting nothing last week yall get only two this week, though. At least both releases are awesome.

Betagam7

Betagam7 said:

I'd probably have bought Jim if it'd been the Snes version. Yes I realise that the Mega Drive is slightly superior...except that this is made redundant by Segas refusal to do anything about the cruddy PAL conversions. As such the MD boycott continues for me.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

A SNES verison would lack borders but still still be crudvile for speed so its not much better :( Have you contacted SEGA about the PAL conversions...it could be fruitless but interesting nonetheless (I contacted them about the lack of Japanese voice acting in Puyo Pop fever inspite it being menitoned in the manual, turns out it was cut at the last minute after manuals were printed :( )

Rexy

Rexy said:

@Rootbeer, comment #50: You call Mega Man 9 "nothing"? :P
There were three Wiiware games, and I'm sure a fair chunk of us VC playing personnel were still all over last week's selection. I don't see this as a draught at all - from what we've seen from this week and the previous Wiiware week, we're in for a good gaming Autumn :D

MrPoo6321

MrPoo6321 said:

I have had Earthworm Jim 2 on the SNES since I was a little kid and it's one of my favorite shooter/platformers. The animation is awesome. It's been forever since I played the first one, but I always the Sega versions looking and sounding better so I think thats cool that they're putting the Megadrive version up. Can't wait for it hit to hit US.

Jockolantern

Jockolantern said:

Woohoo! With the European release of Shining Force II, I certainly hope that means it's hitting U.S. VC shores soon! Definitely my favorite game of the series and one I've been greatly anticipating seeing on the Virtual Console for a long time now. As for Gradius II hitting our VC on Monday, I cannot wait to get my hands on it.

Aloth

Aloth said:

WOW!!! It´s been a long year since the release of the first one. I´m going to kill everybody in the game, again and again.

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

Dang! I wish I lived in Europe. These games would've made for an awesome birthday update (yep, today is officially my B-day.)! Both are a hell of a lot better than ST2. XI

I'd also like to say that I'm glad Nintendo is finally pushing these rated games out the door. They've been announced and rated for far too long.

Cocoa_Man5

Cocoa_Man5 said:

Happy B-Day mista Cheeze!! :). and yeah i really want to watch some Earthworm jim cartoons right now.:P

classicmike

classicmike said:

@ Mr. Cheez: Even though I said once already, i'll say it again, Happy Birthday!
@ Rexy: I agree with you. End of August and September have been great weeks to be a VC and Wii Ware gamer. Now since October is starting off good, we might be set for great gaming for the rest of the year.

classicmike

classicmike said:

@ Drake: How do you already know what US gamers are getting on Friday? I never figured out how you guys get that information so quickly.

MrDanger88

MrDanger88 said:

Europe gets Earthworm Jim and North America will probably get shovelware. NoA is just that bad.

Betagam7

Betagam7 said:

"Dang! I wish I lived in Europe"

Okay I'll swap you we'll take full screen full speed 60hz games and you can have the 17% slower bordered garbage SEGA throws at the VC over here. Not really worth getting it slightly earlier when you consider the difference is it?

Rexy

Rexy said:

It's only a PAL conversion. Most of us Europeans have grown used to it anyways, and I seriously doubt the speed would do much wrong regarding how we play it.

Besides, if there's anything I want to swap from the Americans, it would be the weather :p

Outrunner

Outrunner said:

The only game that really suffers imo is Sonic 1 on the Megadrive. The other games I don't really notice the change in speed. Even Sonic 2 isnt bad.
Does anyone know if it's possible Sega will release Sonic CD on the VC? Sorry to go off topic...

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

@Betagam7. Yeesh! Calm your beef man. I wasn't actually serious. I was just saying that I would've liked to have gotten these 2 games on my birthday week much more than ST2. I can wait; With those problems you mentioned plus your erratic release scedules, I'd much prefer a Wii from my own continent. ;)

@Cocoaman. Thanks!

@Classicmike. Thanks (again)!
And guess what? You're Brawl code finally registered in my roster! It only took 3 weeks!

Rexy

Rexy said:

@Outrunner, comment #77: Assuming that the size limit for a Sega CD game is 500MB (almost as big as the Wii itself), these types of games on the VC seem to be unlikely as of now. It might be a consideration for the next Nintendo console though.

Mixer152

Mixer152 said:

The slow releases and slow PAL games has made me resort to emulation, I couldnt wait any longer

classicmike

classicmike said:

@ Mr. Cheez: Wow! Nintendo is sure fast a registering friends on Brawl! Much better than Xbox Live!
(If u didn't figure it out, I was being sarcastic.)

classicmike

classicmike said:

Yeah, I guess i kind of went overboard. But I just thought it was ridiculous how it took 3 weeks for you to be registered as a friend on Brawl.
Also, do you know that blatant means to state the obvious in a vulgar manner?
(I looked up the word so I could find out what it means.)

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

TurboGrafx CD games have similar issues and they manage is all I can say about the size argument. But maybe the audio compression works far better and there isn't as much game data...

That aside SEGA cannot emulate the Mega CD. Presumebly they tried for Sonic Mega collection (Sonic CD was meant to be on there, the manual is all that remains) but it didn't work out and when it came to Sonic Gems collection they ported the PC version*.

Thing is outside of ports of Megadrive games there are about 10 (I'm just saying the number I have not thought of any individual games) Mega CD games I would like to actually see.

*-Sonic R is also a PC port...hence the 4 palyer...

GamerWho

GamerWho said:

Speaking of Mega CD games Here's a few I recommend or would like to see re-released somehow.

Recommend:-

Fatal Fury Special
Rise of the Dragon
Dracula Unleashed
Popful Mail

classicmike

classicmike said:

@ GamerWho: Don't forget to tell the people at Webster's Dictionary that a few now means more than 10+ items instead of 3-9 items.
Good list though.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Fatal Fury Special

we're likely to get the NeoGeo version so we don't really need the Mega CD version.

Objection

Objection said:

Above average update for you guys! Have to say, as the picky person I am, I probably won't be picking up any of the titles listed for this update or Monday's. Seriously picky. I only have 4 VC.

Clayfrd

Clayfrd said:

I hope the US gets a slice of this awesome. Does anyone know when Proto Man is going to be available (or any of the MM9 DLC)?

timp29

timp29 said:

Bah... 2 hours :/

Edit: Nope I was off by 20 minutes. Doh! Should have stayed up!

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

@ gamerwho
Once Street Fighter SCE comes out, I think it would be time for old-school Mortal Kombat for the VC

lockelocke

lockelocke said:

Nice, that means we're one step closer to getting Earthworm Jim 2. Bring it on, Ninty.

Betagam7

Betagam7 said:

"It's only a PAL conversion. Most of us Europeans have grown used to it anyways"

Sadly, its defeatism like this that ensures Nobody will ever bother to fix the problem.

"The slow releases and slow PAL games has made me resort to emulation"

If more people took that attitude perhaps the companies would stand up and pay attention

"The only game that really suffers imo is Sonic 1 on the Megadrive"

Wrong! Play PAL Waverace 64 and you'll soon notice a pretty big difference. Even more disgraceful that despite finding time to change the graphics of this game to promote the Wii and DS Nintendo chose to do NOTHING about fixing a game ruining problem!

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

I actually gave this a shot. They siad they knew nothing about the virtual console and to contact Nintendo...I think Nintendo have blacklisted me these days since codestorm (he UK Nintendo customer services) never, ever reply to anything I send and Nintendo Germany tell me to contact Codestorm :(

My current attempt is basically 'why is it the back of the box tells me if it supports 50/60Hz etc yet the VC doesn't?'. I'll probably get nowhere even if I do get replies since customer services don't talk to other departments and hence have no influence.

I got close with Germany once but then they started blurting out in English about contacting codestorm and siad they passed the message on (I later asked codestorm if they ever recieved it and nope they had not :P )

Well I suppose there is still France, Spain and Italy to try :P

I remember this very site used to list the converisons issues but they took it down because it alienated the PAL gamers or somethnig stupid like that...

zombiekillr

zombiekillr said:

i.. have... been waiting for this day... SHINING FORCE 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!