We've been told, by some, that the term 'fan service' can have a negative meaning. Well, we beg to differ, and the Majora's Mask Pack in Hyrule Warriors is unrepentant, in-your-face fan service - and we love it.
Out today in Europe and Japan - it'll be in next week's Download Update for North America - is that very pack, along with an update to version 1.0.5 for the game itself. To start with the important behind-the-scenes stuff, below is the content of the update that'll help extend the life of the game and accommodate the extra gameplay.
- Maximum level increased
- New mixing materials
- New medals
- New weapon skills
- Updated Junk Store – "Skills Cancellation," "Skills Advice," and "Weapons Sale" added
- Updated Adventure Mode information screen – "Damage Taken" and "Retry from the Beginning" added
That's all very nice, but below is what we can get in the Majora's Mask pack:
- New character: Young Link – A boy able to use the power of the demon's mask. He fights nimbly and heroically with his sword. When wearing the demon's mask, he takes its shape and his attacks are strengthened. This power is beyond human understanding, and he will not stop attacking until all of his enemies are destroyed.
- New character: Tingle – A 35 year-old bachelor and the reincarnation of a fairy. He uses a balloon to freely jump around the battlefield and blow away enemies. His ability to do things like dodge and attack at the same time make him hard to predict and a force to be reckoned with.
- New Adventure Mode map: Termina Map – In a world where the moon falls moment by moment, you can make free use of mysterious item cards that hold new powers while advancing through your adventure. As a new reward, you can earn some new rank weapons, as well as costumes.
- New costumes: "Memories of Time" – Three costumes: "Skull Kid Style" for Lana, and "Ocarina of Time Style" costumes for Impa and Shiek.
While the previous packs have been fun, the imminent arrival of The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D and the uniqueness of that series entry makes this a stand-out set of DLC, at least in this humble writer's opinion.
You can see the typically flashy Koei Tecmo launch trailer below; as for you Europeans diving into this content, let us know what you think.