Video: This Japanese Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS Commercial Takes Things Literally

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Smashing

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS arrives in Japan on 13th September, which means that we're rapidly running out of time for Nintendo to formally finalise the roster and other features. Another perspective is that advertising and hype around the title is currently moving into full gear, and TV adverts will be a part of that.

The most recent TV commercial released by Nintendo is particularly entertaining, as it very literally — and we use the word correctly — applies the rules of Smash Bros. to real world players; you can check it out below.

We rather like this approach and certainly wouldn't object to similar adverts in the West; it also highlights the role of local multiplayer in the Japanese market, though the gamer in the train station is either in single player or has perhaps jumped onto some free wi-fi...

As a little bonus, below is the latest Cat Mario Show which shows off some nice footage of Smash Bros., an impressive speedrun in Super Mario 3D World and uses an adorable Link puppet to promote Mario Kart 8 DLC. Oddly, after the series kicked off in Europe it doesn't appear to have progressed beyond the first episode.

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

Rest in kill dose Japanese people, killed 2 death, 2014-10,000 BC

_______________________________

But on topic good commercials!

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

That's what I want do; get blasted into the sky! It looks like fun, provided there's no pain involved.

MrMario02

MrMario02 said:

@Tsurii897 R U talkin bout Gaur Plains or Wily Castle? In either case, Both have been confirmed for SSB3DS. And besides, there weren't that many wii u stages confirmed for 3DS.

MJKOP

MJKOP said:

Aw, me and my children have been waiting for a new Cat Mario Show episode, hope we get one soon

WalupeachyTime

WalupeachyTime said:

I didn't know the 3DS had technology to launch players of Smash Bros high in the sky. I guess they turned that feature off on the demo I played.

Monkeh

Monkeh said:

@OP: Dunno how it is in your country, but here (Holland) every train-station actually does have free Wi-Fi. Mostly posting this because of the three dots you placed behind it.

But he's not using Wi-Fi, as the other players have CPU above their heads, meaning it's singleplayer.

DiscoGentleman

DiscoGentleman said:

"though the gamer in the train station is either in single player or has perhaps jumped onto some free wi-fi..."

Surely single player, were it real life. Japan hardly has any free wi-fi spots like the west does.Very few train stations offer it. Though,some savvy people just tether.

Nicolai

Nicolai said:

I just realized, at the end of the Mario puppet thing... "Sayo-nyanya!" means "sayonara," but with Nya at the end, cuz cats go "nya!" Thwt's adorable!

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

Amusing trailer, even if it makes smash look really dangerous as game XD

I miss the cat-Mario episodes however, I know it must be hard for Nintendo to translate them in every language, but the damage is done, they gave us an episode, we loved it, now show the others!!!

rjejr

rjejr said:

Has cat Mario been confirmed for SSB? If they are giving each character 8 outfits that would need to be 1 of them, right? Or at least cat Peach?

I liked the SSB ad - thats still the current 3DS LL correct? - but you can't touch cat puppets.

bouncer0304

bouncer0304 said:

@Mega719 um, is this a good time to say my Mario Kart 8 footage was used to promote the game on E4 in May? Still have that special cup on my mantleshelf :-)

On topic, very nice. That new ad is great fun. I think the cat Mario show has been canned because so many people ridiculed Nintendo for doing a poor job of it. Plus Peach was downright creepy :O What they should do instead is just add subtitles and cut any bits not relevant to us. I do like that show but the British voices made it immature even for young kids. Smash though is sooo close. Eeeeee!

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

I love it, especially the TV commercial it's so cheesy for me for some reason.But still i love it and Nintendo better release all these commercials on every channel to get attention for smash bros.

Mr_Rawky

Mr_Rawky said:

I watched it on mute in work. I wasn't planning on getting the 3DS version, but now I'm really tempted. The only problem is I hope it doesn't effect my interest in the Wii U version.

polivar4

polivar4 said:

@LUIGITORNADO I wish we had gotten more kong family back up like Dixie Funky Diddy or Cranky Kong. To make up for all the damn koopa brats. And no Bowser Jr. in Mario Kart 8? WTF!

kobashi100

kobashi100 said:

wish nintendo UK would just use english voice overs.

the adverts that they put together are garbage.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

It beats commercials with different videos of families smiling on a couch having a good time.

MysticX

MysticX said:

What i would like to know is: What happens when you play "Super Smash bros." indoors?

allav866

allav866 said:

That Cat Mario Show had a familiar song at the end... It sounded like the music from Special 8 from Super Mario 3D Land.