Video: This is a Video Game

Posted by Tim Latshaw

And yet so much more

There's been a lot of back and forth lately over the definitions of certain words in the realm of gaming culture; of what it is supposed to mean to be a certain thing and what else you might be if you don't fit someone's particular interpretation of the vernacular.

In the midst of all the line-drawing and wall-building, YouTube user KiteTales has released a video that turns this exclusionary mindset on its head. Her definition of a video game sets the medium as a seed through which all manner of memories and experiences are formed and a touchstone by which those same memories can always be recalled. You can view it's oh-so-relatable simplicity below:

For anyone who has grown up with video games, it's hard not to find a spot of this video that resonates. Which games have touched a special place in your life?

[via youtube.com]

Mikeopferman

Mikeopferman said:

Absolutely beautiful! Love the Ocarina of Time reference, and all the love for Nintendo. Sometimes it is hard to put into words what some games mean, this video does it perfectly. Thanks

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

sniff
That piece was very well written.
If you are planning to type out some long argument to this, you need to seriously reconsider your life.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

This is also a video game that costs way too much.... It is the only rare hard to get N64 game that I don't have but... I just can't justify paying $80-$100+ for it depending on condition. Of course I am talking about Smash Bros.

But this video... it did hit the sweet spot :)

ikki5

ikki5 said:

@GeminiSaint
The VC is just not the same as the hard copy of the game and playing on your old systems :) I still play my NES, N64 and SNES (actually the SNES is my girl friend's as mine broke) today. In fact, I have all those systems hook up to my TV right now.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

@link3710
yeah, four years ago and at a yard sale. These types of things usually become harder to find and more expensive over time especially if their franchise turned into a massive hit. How many of these do you think you'll find at a yard sale. Really, only if your lucky. But try looking on line. Ebay auctions usually go for about $60, Kijiji anywhere from $40-$90 but you need to be in their location and speciality game stores they are like $50-$60 at least if not more.

DragonbornRito

DragonbornRito said:

@ikki5 Whoa, I sold a copy recently for $25ish, and I've seen copies at the local flea market for $35-40. Did I miss a massive spike?

EDIT: WOW, I missed a massive spike. I mean, I sold this copy about a year ago for half of what I could've gotten now... I did find a few $50 listings (shipped) though.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

@DragonbornRito
yeah, you can find them for less shipped but it is very hard to win those auction as you usually have many people bidding on it so you just need to keep trying. The buy it now is usually more pricey but it ensures you winning the auction for just a few dollars more usually.

DragonbornRito

DragonbornRito said:

Man, now I need to head down to Play and Talk and see if they've jacked up their prices yet. I may be able to cut a profit... ;)

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

Seriously, the magic that video games bring to people is greatly overlooked. It's what brought me and my girlfriend together, it's what keeps me in touch with friends that have moved far away, and it's what inspires me to keep moving forward no matter how bleak the future may seem.

Bassman_Q

Bassman_Q said:

Them feels though.

Very spot-on description of what games are and how they occupy many great memories.

DiscoGentleman

DiscoGentleman said:

Exactly how I feel. Well articulated.
Also, that girl's voice is so soothing. It rivals the voice-over in Child Of Light.

DiscoGentleman

DiscoGentleman said:

Also, excellent video game choices in that video. Every one of them featured has a special place in my heart. They're dearer to me than some family and friends, even. :D

SmashMaster

SmashMaster said:

It's so..... beautiful... And all of those games are really good... Ah, what am I kidding. Almost all video games are good. Almost all...

QuickSilver88

QuickSilver88 said:

@ikki5 My N64 cart collection rocks....SSB and Conker as well as all the other 'rare' carts......many of which I bought ar release....Smas Bros I didn't have and remember hating paying $30 for it used....looks like a good deal now.

Revolution909

Revolution909 said:

I liked the reference about parents working overtime to afford a game for their kids....thanks Mom and Dad.

GrumpyGoomba

GrumpyGoomba said:

So many memories that only video games could make possible. One of my favorites are of me and my older sister staying up late on weekend nights playing Mario party on 50 rounds. That was the only game she would ever play though lol. Or my mom being addicted to ghouls n' ghost and not turning of the super Nintendo for days because she had to beat it before it got turned off.

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

Awesome video, shared it forward to various people yesterday and today.

PAppleyard

PAppleyard said:

Good video, I gave it a like. She choose some class games as well. As much as I don't much like Playstation consoles I have to admit she chose some classics for it.

RainbowGazelle

RainbowGazelle said:

Cool video. Just out of interest: Am I the only person in the world who has always referred to them as computer games, rather than video games?

Donutman

Donutman said:

Oot was first game that I was emotionally invested in. It brought a tear to my eye after 3 months of playing the day I beat it. Just an amazing game from by far the best gen of console gaming.

TheWeird

TheWeird said:

All of these came out far too late for me to have any kind of childhood nostalgia - Atari 2600 or Sinclair ZX Spectrum are more my era!

However, a borrowed copy of Legend of Zelda, Link's Awakening on the original GB got me through a very dark time in my life when I was unemployed and virtually homeless, and I still consider it one the best games I ever played.

Link506

Link506 said:

I never got to play these games hard copy so I might be missing out on a bit of the emotion, but I still feel the memories... well, atleast mine.

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

I still remember that Christmas morning, all the way back in 1997, when my brother and I found a shiny new Nintendo 64 under the tree. It not only jump-started my love of gaming, but also caused me to bond with quite possibly my favourite Marioverse character(s), Yoshi. :)

PAppleyard

PAppleyard said:

I still have and play my Atari 2600. That's more the generation that brings back good memories for me. That and the Master System and NES.

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

@RainbowGazelle I'm in your camp there . Maybe its a regional thing. I'm in England.
It just makes more sense to me to call them computer games as it's a computer not a vcr as was standard when I started gaming!

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

Aaaaawww, the joy of getting a new game as a kid. There was nothing like it, you didn't have internet back then and magazine reviews usually came out a month after the game was released at best. So most of the time you went in blind and hoped you didn't get a stinker but nothing could replace that feeling when you knew you had found a keeper or a diamond in the rough. I'm looking at you Blaster Master!

SethNintendo

SethNintendo said:

The future generations will look at their phones and tablets and cry over the crappy games they were exposed to due to the lack of buttons.

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

@SethNintendo Future generations will also cry because the "digital" game they bought can no longer be downloaded. There's something to be said about a physical disc or cartridge.

Squashy

Squashy said:

@RainbowGazelle @ULTRA-64 I say computer games too and I'm English also. Maybe the name video games comes from America because I don't think I've ever heard an American say computer games. It would be an interesting piece of trivia to know! I loooooove trivia, there's nothing like a bit of useless information to make life more interesting I say.

SIM_CTC

SIM_CTC said:

Joy and tears... Gaming is part of my experience of life and many experiences we can't have in our real life. Excellent video apart from they should replace FFVII with FFVI...