Video: This New Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS Trailer is Battle Hardened

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

In Japanese, so just enjoy the footage

It'll potentially give you a sense of seething injustice and jealousy, but Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS arrives in Japan on 13th September, a few weeks ahead of its Western release. That does mean all the more marketing as Nintendo builds hype for that arrival, which does no harm at all.

Nintendo's official YouTube account in Japan has just recently published a new trailer that includes over five minutes of 3DS footage. It's very careful to only show modes and details already revealed by Masahiro Sakurai, so some elements of the overall offering remain a mystery; nevertheless it's an attractive batch of footage as it covers basic rules, modes, customisation and more.

Check it out below and let us know whether you're excited about the upcoming 3DS version.

IxC

IxC said:

I really wish the Nintendogs obscuring the screen were gone. They're just annoying.

Some of the 3DS stages look amazing. I really hope the Wii U gets some better stages than shown so far. Pac-Mans 3DS stage is infinitely better than the Wii U version.

I want it now! 3rd of October is so far away.

GloverMist

GloverMist said:

As I read somewhere else, if you look at Pikachu at the 'character collage' bit about 1 minute in, you can just about see Ganondorf off-screened for a second! You have to look closely, but he's there!

Also, yes, I need this game. Instantly!

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Ugh, it's going to be difficult waiting once the Japanese version releases. TwT

IxC

IxC said:

@Xiao_Pai

I didn't realise the japanese release was in just a couple of weeks.

I thought 3rd of October was the worldwide release date.

This will make the wait harder!

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Also, was kinda hoping Giratina would do something awesome...or, something, better than what he did there. xD

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

Have we seen the cinematic at 1.30 before? It looks like something from a story mode rather than a character reveal. (I'm sure I'm wrong)

Xilef

Xilef said:

I don't think they have confirmed Corneria returnig in SSB3D before, haven't they? It also looks like they showed the N's Castle stage very briefly.

ShanaUnite

ShanaUnite said:

I somewhat expected them to casually show off ganondorf in one of the parts of the video.

ShanaUnite

ShanaUnite said:

@GloverMist Interesting. Although the stance is similar it is kind of hard to tell with 100% confidence. Not that i have many doubts about his inclusion or anything.

Caryslan

Caryslan said:

Nice trailer! I can't wait for this to arrive on the 3DS. Looks like Ike kept his Final Smash from Brawl, which is fine with me...

GloverMist

GloverMist said:

@ShanaUnite The website I saw (I can't remember which one) zoomed in really close, and you can actually tell it's him! A back view, though, so it's kinda debatable.

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

One thing I kinda wish they would do is change Sheik's final smash.. But I can deal with it, because it's still pretty powerful.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

The best part of this trailer was the original Starfox stage confirmation. I was worried the 3DS version wouldn't have it. It was my favorite srage from the original Smash Bros!

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

"but Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS arrives in Japan on 13th September, a few weeks ahead of its Western release. That does mean all the more marketing as Nintendo builds hype for that arrival, which does no harm at all."

It does do harm it means they lied in the Super Smash Bros direct when they said Summer. (September can still count as summer).

Lying and promising something and not delivering on that are some of the worst things that can be done by a person (Or company).

Smooty

Smooty said:

@RosaQKeller woah you are from pakistan thats nice, but stop advertesing no one cares how much money your mom makes on the internet

GloverMist

GloverMist said:

3:32 That is one jazzin' new remix! I eonder if there will be tons of remixes of the main theme, like in Brawl?

drewb0203

drewb0203 said:

I decided not to wait until midnight. I was going to, but since theres a new 3ds coming out, I would have to restart the game UNLESS they fixed the whole transfer data thing. I had to restart ALBW when I got my new XL almost a year ago...But maybe I wouldn't mind restarting SSB. Especially on that new 3ds. Please tell me if I should download SSb 3ds or get the physical copy

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

This is a good trailer, even though it was careless to leak Ganondorf. Some of those retro stages also support the Stage Select leak (Yoshi's Island and Distant Planet from Brawl, and Corneria from Melee).

Trikeboy

Trikeboy said:

I've always hated the great fox stage. It is so tiny. The landmaster is so big compared to it.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

@unrandomsam Good God, man. They didn't lie. Why would you even think that? They had to push it back to thoroughly test everything. Quit whining and be grateful for the immense effort involved in giving you a quality Smash Bros game.

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

Yeah, Ganondorf is in a little off-screen bubble next to pikachu in the collage. Nice to see him officially, not that anyone is really surprised. I still remember when they totally messed it up with Lucario, Ness and Jigglypuff on Brawl.

Williaint

Williaint said:

@drewb0203 According to NintendoLife, you'll be able to transfer your old stuff to the mini SD.

I'm really excited. I thought it was coming in late October, but it's only a few weeks away (Well, okay, about 5...). From what I played at the demo, earlier this year, the 3DS game really piqued my interest. I was thinking "Oh, I'll just get the Wii U version",but I've since changed my mind... Now, As long as I can change the control schemes, I'll be happy!

Hero-of-WiiU

Hero-of-WiiU said:

I can't believe it was only a couple weeks left for there to be surprises left in the roster.

Anyways, GameStop has a Hyrule Warriors demo. I'm not sure if that is well known.

Emblem

Emblem said:

@unrandomsam Welcome to the video game industry, the percentage of games released on time is dwarfed by those that miss release dates for whatever reason.

Companies don't (usually) lie about release dates, it doesn't benefit them at all, in fact it normally harms them. This is why most companies don't like to give exact release dates.

The only time they blatantly lie is near console launches, a good recent example is the build up before and after the X1 & PS4 releases. Alot of game dev's gave or implied release dates within launch period knowing that was not even possible.

Weedy

Weedy said:

Amazing Video, day one for me, I just wish I could look forward to playing this on a New 3DS this year.

Xtremetdifan

Xtremetdifan said:

Really, Japan gets smash in two weeks? This feels like pokebank all over again... ITS NOT FAIR Nintendo!

twadezelda3dsxl

twadezelda3dsxl said:

I thought that after Pokemon X and Y we would be getting worldwide releases of the big 3DS games (i.e. Smash Bros, Pokemon, Mario), but it sems to have been a one time thing as we have a 2 week wait for Smash Bros and a 1 week wait for Pokemon ASOR. Thanks Nintendo for ruining my hopes but also thanks for announcing the New 3DS as it looks amazing and I can't wait for it's release next year (hopefully it's before May as it would make the best 18th birthday present).

drewb0203

drewb0203 said:

@Williaint Do you mean I won't have to restart SSB on my "new" 3ds? Because I really don't understand all that Mini-SD card and a bunch of other words used in terms of transferring data.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@unrandomsam

Really gonna split hairs over 12 days? Cause that's how much "past summer" it is. Complaining about something because it adversely affects you is one thing, but trying to call them on a 12 day technicality, at least to me, comes off like your'e looking for a reason to complain.

Not to mention, when they say "we're planning on a summer release" and the game ends up not coming out until 12 days past summer, that doesn't mean they broke a promise. It means they were planning to get the game out in summer, and they tried, and they did in Japan, but the soonest they could get the game to us in our hands is a week and a half later.

Delays and setbacks happen all the time in the industry. When they give us a release date, it's subject to change. In this case, we didn't even have a release date. All we had was a general time frame that they were hoping to release the game. Obviously they came pretty close to their target release. But the way you make it sound, it's like they promised they'd see a movie with you Friday night and bailed to hang out with other friends. There was no promise made, there was no commitment to be upheld. All developers give a timeframe they plan to release. Sometimes they hit the mark, other times they don't. But there was no wrongdoing here.

Assassin's Creed Unity, delayed. Batman Arkham Knight, delayed. Witcher 3, delayed. Battlefield Hardline, delayed. Dragon Age Inquisition, delayed. And all of these games had actual set release dates too, not just a general release window or season. And they weren't delayed for just 12 days- some of them got pushed back 2 months, 6 months, some even longer than that.

It's the nature of the business. You estimate when the game is going to be ready. Nobody has a crystal ball. Nintendo didn't hire Miss Cleo. When they say the game should release in summer, they're giving us their best estimate of when it's going to hit store shelves. And judging by the rest of the industry and games that miss their target releases by entire YEARS, I'd say hitting a release target within 12 days is a commendable feat. You can't get mad or angry or upset when a game doesn't release when they hoped it would, because it's all just a best guess in the first place.

Hyperstar96

Hyperstar96 said:

Is anyone else concerned that there are so many stages that were already in both Melee AND Brawl? I don't want to play Jungle Japes for the third time...

Porky

Porky said:

@Hyperstar96 Would you rather have them take further development time in creating stages than slightly modifying past stages?

Hyperstar96

Hyperstar96 said:

@Porky No, nor did I say that. No one likes a strawman, so stop being one.

I'm saying I'd much rather them not use the same stages for three games in a row. They could use other Melee stages that weren't in Brawl like Peach's Castle or Fountain of Dreams, or they could bring back some more Brawl stages instead, or even N64.

Porky

Porky said:

@Hyperstar96 It may be easier for them to port and modify the stages from the previous game including a port of a port, who knows. Be appreciative of the game that they will be providing, rather than questioning and hating on the minor nitpicks; there is already so much done. Atleast start being concerned when you have the game and know all the stages. Don't forget about possible DLC.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

I wish I knew japanese. Is there a sub or something? What does that "kogekishte" (or whatever that is) that's repeated three times at the beginning (with Mario versus Bowser)?

I'd avoid these useless questions is the game was out already! Quoting Egoraptor: NNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGHHHHFFFFFFFFF!!!