The Letter Version 1.1 Update Has a New Trailer

Posted by Karen Halloran

Reaching for more stars?

Notorious indie title The Letter has had a storied history at Nintendo Life, being something of a poster child for quality control on the Wii U eShop and the recipient of a rare if not prestigious single star rating, with the major complaint being that there wasn't much to do, and what content there was ultimately didn't add up to anything.

In the recently released trailer for The Letter version 1.1, TreeFall Studios appears to be addressing the criticisms levelled at the title by adding new items, creatures, and environment updates. Whether or not these improvements will finally make the game the story-driven horror experience promised in the first release is anyone's guess right now. According to TreeFall Studios' Facebook page The Letter 1.1 game update has already been submitted to Nintendo for approval and is therefore not yet available for download, but the new content certainly looks promising:

Are you hoping this update adds an enhanced sense of gameplay to the somewhat embattled title? Is this the push you'd need to give it a chance, or have you decided to completely ignore this one? Get debating down below!

Thanks to Ryan Millar for the tip!

[via youtube.com]

mystman12

mystman12 said:

New creatures? The game didn't have any in the first place... but still, if there's something that stocks the player, that alone would make this game a little better.

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

He said this was going to happen beore the release. It's not a reaction to anything.

If you don't like the game fine but get your facts straight.

9th_Sage

9th_Sage said:

I know whenever I write a letter, I hide it behind a plant and write "HIDDEN LETTER I" at the top.

9th_Sage

9th_Sage said:

OK, I think for $0.50 or so, I'm going to buy this. Not because of this coming update, not because I think it'll be good, but because this game seems like such a trainwreck that I have to see what it's about.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

"by adding new items, creatures, and environment updates."

Well, it says new items, not new creatures.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

How many Club Nintendo points does this game give you? It might be worth a download just for that (especially if it's still on sale for 0.50 cents).

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

This still looks like a tech demo to me. Maybe in three or four more updates there will be a fleshed out game.

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

Maybe by version 1.9 this will be a game worth playing? Give props to the guy for working on it though. He could have easily left it as is. Maybe he will have something worth playing in the future.

Off topic....anyone else getting the advertisements for Super Mario Flash on this site? Just doesn't seem right.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

The Letter is still hanging on to the Wii U Top 20 download charts, while gems like Guacamelee have already dropped off. That's pretty disheartening.

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

I end up biting at the $0.49 price. I'll hold off on playing it till they (he?) release the next update(s), I want it at its best.
I have to give him credit for the level of commitment to the game and the interaction with the gamers on Miiverse. Here's hoping it get better from here and don't get left as is.

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

@ricklongo - If Guacamelee was $4.49 it would be in the top 20. The only reason this is in the top 20 is because at 49 cents everyone is buying it just to see how bad it is. It's like the almost out of date sales at the grocery store. Sure I don't really need a gallon of sour cream that I have 1 day to use before it spoils but for 95 cents I can't pass it up mentality.

Action51

Action51 said:

@9th_Sage - Exactly! It's like "The Room" "Troll 2" or "Manos" of indie games. So much hype over how bad it is, you must see it for yourself.

gage_wolf

gage_wolf said:

Seriously, I could probably make a game like this on Unity in a couple days. Stop giving this game so much press! It doesn't deserve the attention.

ekreig

ekreig said:

The game sounds pretty bad, but I applaud the developer for being willing to work on it when it's already the laughingstock of the internet.

eaglebob345

eaglebob345 said:

@ricklongo Not many people who buy indie gaes want to spend $10+ on them. As bad as The Letter may be, 50ยข trumps $15 for a lot of people.

Mega719

Mega719 said:

So are they going just going to keep updating the game until it becomes a decent title? I don't really notice the difference they expanded levels but they didn't show us the creatures so this still doesn't count as a horror experience

luke88

luke88 said:

Knapnok games released a new trailer for 'affordable space adventure' that deserved this write-up more than 'the letter.'

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

Really Nintendolife?! Again?! That's the second time I've turned on my Wii U and booted up the e-shop to download a game mentioned on Nlife, only to find that the UK website, for some bizzare reason failed to mention that it was a US exclusive... and you can imagine my dissapointment when Shovel Knight was my first example of this!! Seriously annoyed right now.

TheItalianBaptist

TheItalianBaptist said:

Saw the video...I don't get it. What new creatures? Are we talking like a slender sorta thing where there's an actual challenge? And what's with the battery meter on the top right hand screen? Looks like off-tv play I hope but could be a limit for the flashlight

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@ricklongo Guacamelee with it releasing at full price when Playstation got a dirt cheap upgrade. Xbox got it free. Steam was at 85% off that week. It is a total middle finger to Nintendo users.

ZenTurtle

ZenTurtle said:

I bought this game when it was on sale, I like how it is good for short playthroughs and some of the puzzles are actually mysterious, fun and challenging! It's great the devs are taking care to make it even better!

GreatPlayer

GreatPlayer said:

I just bought this game to see how bad it can be. I am now already getting stuck in the first room, not knowing what to do.

Stu13

Stu13 said:

I can't wait to someday see the look of awe on my grandchildern's faces when I tell them them that I got to play the original, raw version of this game.
What was it like, grandpa?
"Short and pointless."
Ooooooooh.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

@unrandomsam It was only "free" on Xbox as part of their premium account system, which makes it very much not free at all. The Steam and PS3 versions, on the other hand, are still the original game, without the pretty massive chunk of additional content found on Super Turbo Championship Edition.

I paid $15 for it on the Wii U and it was worth every penny. Amazing game.

Assassinated

Assassinated said:

All these improvements could drastically improve its review score. It might even double, from 1/10 to 2/10!

FLUX_CAPACITOR

FLUX_CAPACITOR said:

@Gerbwmu Yes, I noticed the Super Mario flash ads as well. I know this site needs ad revenue to keep going, just like any other site, but it does seem wrong on some level to sell ad space to a site that's making money off of illegally emulating Nintendo's games.

Hero-of-WiiU

Hero-of-WiiU said:

I will play the bonus levels for fun. The game is not worth crying about for half a dollar, it's worthy of that price tag. If you don't like it on the eShop, ignore it and move on.

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

The question I think on all our minds.....which nlife staff member gets to review version 1.1? I suppose a fight to the death is in order.....it's really the only way to decide who gets the pleasure of added content, creatures, items, and environments for the GREATEST GAME EVER!

reali-tglitch

reali-tglitch said:

I bought it when it came out, mostly for laughs, but also to support the dev. I am glad to see that he is working at it.

Thecoolmana777

Thecoolmana777 said:

shame it's not on the EU eshop, I'd like to play it just to see; a) how bad it is, and b) how much they will eventually improve it

BoobooMama

BoobooMama said:

I only downloaded this game for the lolz. It really isn't even worth 50 cents to be honest :/

GreatPlayer

GreatPlayer said:

Given the popularity of the game and its low development cost, I am thinking that they probably make profits even charging 50 cents per copy. lol...

brooks83

brooks83 said:

Not gonna lie, I'm looking forward to playing the update.

On his Youtube, he says inverted controls and off TV play will be in update 1.2.

DinoandAllen

DinoandAllen said:

I bought this game. For 50 cents, it's worth the laugh you'll get. Check out Flash Trash to see people play stuff like this.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

Just remember that every time somebody downloads this garbage because 'it's only 50c', Treefall Studios pocket some more money and are laughing all the way to the bank. It is really sad that they've made a decent amount of money from this, very undeserved....basically rewarding them for nothing whilst many much better games aren't getting anywhere near the success they deserve. Watch the complete 5 minute playthroughs on Youtube and don't support this developer.

It is indicative of why mobile games in general have exploded in popularity though, people will buy any old crap if it's less than a buck or two :/