RCMADIAX Reveals SPIKEY WALLS for Wii U, a Block Capitals Flappy Bird Clone

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Has a revolutionary “HIGHSCORE” tracker

It's an age of clones in gaming, and one of the most peculiar, humorous and troubling instances of game cloning in the market was when Flappy Bird inexplicably went viral on smart devices. Clones followed, some tacky — oh, who are we kidding, all of them were — that attempted to repeat the success that made the publicity-shy developer of the original rather uncomfortable. The fact Flappy Bird blatantly ripped green pipes from the Super Mario series was merely a side-story.

It was a simple affair in which you tapped the screen to fly; that was it. RCMADIAX, the Wii U eShop developer rapidly turning around simple, sometimes fun experiences on the platform, has announced that its next game will be the first clone of Flappy Bird on the home console. SPIKEY WALLS, continuing the developer's habit of spelling all game titles in block capitals, switches out a tap with pressing the A button. To be fair to the developer, this does seem to be a self-referential parody, albeit one that'll sell for $0.99.

The new title is called SPIKEY WALLS, and many of you will recognize it as a popular spin-off of the famous “Flappy Bird” games that are dominating the mobile app stores these days. SPIKEY WALLS uses the state-of-the-art precision of the Wii U GamePad’s physical buttons versus the lag of a mobile devices touch screen. You will enjoy hours of fun trying to score the highest and brag on Miiverse when you’re finished each session. To make it easier to keep track of your highest attempt, RCMADIAX developed an in-house, state-of-the-art, “HIGHSCORE” tracker you can see right on the title screen. “WOW”!

It's another quickfire experience via the Nintendo Web Framework, and may arrive in North America in September or October; Europe will need to wait, as has become normal for RCMADIAX games due to the costs of localisation and ratings in the region.

Are you amused and tempted by SPIKEY WALLS, or does its very presence fill you with existential angst? Let us know!

IxC

IxC said:

I'm impressed at how quickly he can pump out games via the Nintendo Web Framework. Even if the games are hit and miss.

I'm mostly looking forward to the extra levels for Block Drop U. Hope they're still coming. And Super Robo Mouse.

Not interested in this one.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

The term "Flappy Bird Clone" a bit harsh on the countless endless runners that existed before flappy bird.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

For so much state-of-the-art tech used, these guys are the epiphany of uncreativity.

Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs said:

See, a release like this might not be total crapola if there was some really appealing artwork to look at. This looks absolutely dire.

shashwat

shashwat said:

I don't even understand why Nintendo approves of these titles. These are not even worth putting into shovelware category.

RCMADIAX

RCMADIAX said:

@IxC I actually have a second member of the team now, so he helped out with titles such as POKER DICE SOLITAIRE FUTURE and SHUT THE BOX.

The new levels are coming along nicely but there is still much work that has to be done translating the game into 5 languages.

This game is not for everyone that's for sure, more of an experiment than anything.

MAB

MAB said:

Atleast someone is developing 3rd party support for Nintendo... Every other company has fully bailed out even on the 3DS ;)

Porky

Porky said:

Sales will speak louder than your cries, people. I'm sure this will be a success.

9th_Sage

9th_Sage said:

I enjoyed Block Drop U, but I kind of wish he'd slow down and make maybe two more polished games instead of three or four less polished ones.

Chrono_Cross

Chrono_Cross said:

@RCMADIAX

I thoroughly enjoyed Blok Drop U (give me more pls), and I'll enjoy this one, too. Your games are easy to pick up and play, and I love that considering I don't own a smart phone (and don't need one).

Your contributions are welcomed! :)

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@RCMADIAX But why give youself the stigma of making "another flappy bird clone" ?
The concept of these endless whatever games is so basic, why not freshen it up a little ? Why use the same "fly through holes in pillars" approach ?

Seeing the use of dice rolls in your other games, why not something like:
Every pillar has several numbered openings, while flying, roll dice and the corresponding holes open up.
The catch: rolling a dice will take a second or two, closing every gap in the meantime. So either go with what you opened or try a last second roll to open up a bigger gap.

Same principle with a new, more strategic catch.
Just making one of countless flappy bird clones is just bad for your overall portfolio, as you can probably see from peoples reactions on here.

smikey

smikey said:

@Einherjar

I like these thoughts, won't happen but it would be nice to see extras added to the many clones of the world (other than this looks a bit diffrent)

Well done for at least presenting alternatives

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

Gonna pass on this one but Super Robo Mouse will probably get me. Shut The Box and PDSF are great TV games.....in that during commercials or between pitches in baseball I play them on the gamepad. Great for what they are.

mike_intv

mike_intv said:

I think people are missing the fact that this is satire — and for 99 cents I will buy satire.

SylveonLover

SylveonLover said:

@mike_intv That doesn't change what it is, a Flappy Bird clone.

The only time I would be excited for a Flappy Bird "game" is if the original was released as a Wii U eShop exclusive. Imagine how many kids would buy a Wii U just for that "game"! Nintendo could even strike a deal with the developer and make a Flappy Bird themed Wii U bundle.

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

@Einherjar - I look at it like this......if this in anyway helps him to fund the making of other games then I don't care. It's just not for me, but if he can use this to help him make bigger and better games then rock on.

I see it very much the same as a developer doing a movie game.....you know it probably won't be something you want but it's some more money in the pockets that will lead to games you do want.

Of course I can't speak for RCMADIAX and this is just a guess.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@Gerbwmu Totally understandable.
But im more concerned about his / their image.
Such a thing can be quite a stain on your overall portfolio.

Omarsonic9

Omarsonic9 said:

Best game of 2014. Game Of The Year. Best game in every genre. cries

Nintendo, improve your poopy eShop line up.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@mike_intv that just contributes to the problem though. Everyone thinks it's so funny to buy terrible games, while ignoring real creativity and hard work. Then all we get is an endless stream of terrible games, see the cell phone markets. These kinds of games are what I would build in less than a week as a minigame for an online rpg, not a full release of a game. Even in the atari and nes days you generally had to put in a bit more effort than one week to make a game.

ryanator008

ryanator008 said:

Flappy Bird was a game for idiots. Idiots don't like the Wii U. This game won't sell worth crap.

iAlias

iAlias said:

Please, RCMADIAX, scrap this terrible project and spend more time and effort creating high-quality (and original) games that people will ACTUALLY want to play.

ryanator008

ryanator008 said:

If they make the controls less stupid (as in being able to hold down the button to continuously go higher), and add some interesting game modes, this could be good.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

More Miiverse bait, eh? I may bite. ;) I hope the collision is better than the actual Flappy Bird. Honestly though, I see a bunch of young Miiverse goers (the kind that ask for friends and followers all the time) buying this in droves.

gage_wolf

gage_wolf said:

A clone of a crappy game that blantantly ripped Nintendo assets (those green pipes), is now being developed for a Nintendo console. It feels like the 1980s again. Crappy games ripping off other crappy games with very loose if any quality control. This is a slippery slope, some people see this as "hey cheap games, whats the problem?", but supporting this garbage sends a message to small devs that they can make quick cash off half-baked games, and before we know it the eShop is like a shovelware graveyard.

MoonKnight7

MoonKnight7 said:

The "top secret" thing didn't help matters.

If it's an experiment, that's fine. Take the lessons learned and use it for something more original please.

As for this, thanks, but no thanks.

argh4430

argh4430 said:

Would I get this game? Probably not, but if this is all a big joke on Miiverse, i'll at least see how that goes.

JustinH

JustinH said:

This whole cheap and cheery 99 cent eShop thing has completely jumped the shark.

Zodiak13

Zodiak13 said:

I dig his games and I agree with @Gerbwmu I play them in between things I am doing and have got every ounce of value from my purchases of RCMADIAX games. I will get this one too.