Two Tribes Announces New 2D Shooter, RIVE

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Keen to bring it to Wii U

Two Tribes is a download developer best known for its Toki Tori releases, but has also published and ported a wide range of titles to Nintendo hardware, with notable recent examples being the Two Tribes Classics range on the Wii U. After financial problems the company had to reboot and shut down its development business, restarting again with a far smaller team and an emphasis on manageable projects — company founders Collin van Ginkel and Martijn Reuvers explained the details to us in an interview at the start of the year.

It's taken some time, but the company is now back in the development groove, having unveiled its reveal trailer for a previously teased shooter — it's called RIVE and is targeting early 2015. In updates earlier this year it was explained that the studio — now a team of three — is utilising the same engine that was used for Toki Tori 2, which is evident in the screenshots above and below. The studio also previously stated that it would like to bring its new project to the Wii U eShop, though the reveal simply confirms PC and consoles, without specifics; Two Tribes co-founder Collin van Ginkel has told us that the studio is nevertheless "gunning for it", in terms of a Wii U version.

An announcement on the studio's official website describes the game as follows:

We call it RIVE and we describe it as ‘the metal wrecking, robot hacking shooter’. It’s a 2D shooter / platformer with old school gaming values in a decidedly new school execution. During the game’s intense 360 degree shooting and platforming action, players learn to alter the behavior of their robotic enemies by collecting and uploading hacks.

You can see the launch trailer and more screenshots below, so check it out and let us know what you think.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Might as well remove this story from this Nintendo site after their Two Tribes last tweet -

"To clarify on the coming to 'consoles' part. We're hoping to release it on all three platforms, but can't 100% commit yet."

We know which 1 is in jeopardy, and it's not PS4 or XBoner...

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@XCWarrior Did you even read the article? I've got a direct quote from Two Tribes in there, and the Wii U is an active target right now.

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

That 'portal of energy' thingy is a little bit of a copy of Steam World Dig's item acquisition system. Just sayin'.

AlexOlneyStaff

AlexOlney said:

That game just looks fantastic, I don't know if anything else needs to be said.

SageWaterDragon

SageWaterDragon said:

Just as a note to @XCWarrior, they have confirmed that the game is releasing on the Wii U. However, they don't know if they have the budget for a release across the PS4, Xbox One, AND Wii U. Those consoles cost a ton more to develop for.
Also, in a general regard to the story: a twin-stick 2D shooter from Two Tribes that focuses on in-level exploration? Count me in!

Josaku

Josaku said:

looks sweet, this will definitly join all the other games I have on my Wii U ^^

shashwat

shashwat said:

I seriously hope Wii U owners pick this up. Even though Toki Tori 2+ was a great game, the lack of sales got the studio in shambles and it was a console exclusive for the Wii U.

The game looks awesome and I hope it does really well on Wii U. Else the interest will eventually fade down from indies.

ekreig

ekreig said:

Looking good! I hope it helps Two Tribes get back on its feet, they seem like talented people.

Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs said:

Welcome back, Two Tribes. It's really good to see this content emerge after the news of their troubles that is still fresh in my mind. As usual, a Two Tribes game captures my attention.

Collo

Collo said:

Thanks for the kind words guys! Let's make this a success shall we? ;)

Liquid_ice

Liquid_ice said:

This game looks cool. I hope it's coming to Wii U, just like various other games from Two Tribes!

phunnbaba

phunnbaba said:

@Collo
I have no way to confirm if you are actually from Two Tribes but please, please, please, please, please.

accc

accc said:

Looks really cool. Hopefully it supports the Wii Remote. Playing 360° shooter with a joystick is an exercise in frustration.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Awesome, I think I guessed it was a 2D Shooter when Two Tribes posted that single screenshot teaser on Miiverse months ago. Glad to see it looks really awesome. Of course I'll buy it day 1 when it's available on the Australian eShop as I have all the Two Tribes Wii U games. Good luck guys! Still looking forward to Swords & Soldiers 2 as well. :D

markybbop

markybbop said:

Looks better than there other games as its more suited for my taste but a small company like this wont be able to release this on all 3 consoles and no doubt it will be the wiiu which will suffer

Steamboat_Willie

Steamboat_Willie said:

Just saw the announcement trailer and it looks pretty good. After playing Toki Tori, I'm confident these guys will make it a good game.

RogueBologna

RogueBologna said:

@Collo Will this game have levels or a single world to explore like Metroid or Shadow Complex? Either way, I will buy it. I generally am not a fan of games that many find frustrating but Toki Tori 2 was super good. I hope this game is a success!

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

@SageWaterDragon Had someone on Twitter also point this out. I hope that is the case. I'm so used to the WiiU being the one left out. And I thought Sony and MS lifted some Indy fees like Nintendo did to get more publishers on their systems?

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

@ThomasBW84 Read too quickly. I saw the tweet first, and when I tweeted at them they didn't respond. So felt like the right assumption. Glad to hear I was wrong.

SageWaterDragon

SageWaterDragon said:

@XCWarrior Yeah, Microsoft and Sony lifted some of the restrictions. However, they would also be obliged to take advantage of the far more powerful hardware, which would put a huge dent in their budget.

KryptoKrunch

KryptoKrunch said:

Really neat looking game. Don't really understand why people assume the Wii U version will "suffer" TT seems dedicated to the Wii U releasing all of their recent games on the platform while Rive would be the first TT game to be on Xbox One and Ps4...

Iggly

Iggly said:

This looks quite interesting, I'll be sure to keep my eye on this one during 2015. I just hope my wallet isn't empty when it releases.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

Get this on Wii U and I'll download it day one as well. Two Tribes are a quality developer, I've enjoyed all their games so far :)