Steel Empire Blasting A Path To The North American 3DS eShop Next Week

Posted by Damien McFerran

Teyon handling the localisation, no European release planned for now

We went a bit potty over Steel Empire when it was remastered for the Japanese 3DS eShop at the start of the year. A classic Sega Mega Drive / Genesis shooter from the early '90s, the game was given a makeover for Nintendo's handheld which included new visuals and an improved soundtrack.

Publisher Teyon has now confirmed that it will be bringing the game to the North American 3DS eShop next Thursday for the rather high price tag of $29.99 and has released a rather neat trailer to accompany the news.

We naturally pressed Teyon regarding a European release date, but have been told that at the present moment in time the game is only being released in North America.

Our import expert Kerry was rather taken with the game when she previewed it earlier this year. "The developers have lovingly crafted a tribute to a fondly remembered Mega Drive title as well as a game that can stand as an enjoyable modern shoot ‘em up in its own right," is what she said, in fact. Make sure you read that preview and also check out our comparison footage of all three versions of the title.

Are you happy to hear this news? Will you be picking up Steel Empire next week, or has that price put you off? Are you based in Europe and feel a bit left out? Share your feelings in the comments section.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I had no problem paying $30 for Yumi, but I am not paying that much for this.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

SEGA fan to the heart, for better or worse.
If a game is ported that was Genesis, instabuy.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

It does look quite nice but as everyone saying no way I'm paying 30$ I don't even think a half off sale would get me to budge. I'm thinking more 10$ or less. What are they thinking?

MAB

MAB said:

Everyone just has to deal with the fact that this is a quality Mega Drive title so of course it's gonna be expensive... @ogo79 would be proud ;)

Wolfgabe

Wolfgabe said:

I would be willing to pay 30 dollars for Oddworld New n Tasty but for a remastered Genesis game I think not

MrKenta

MrKenta said:

$30? That's twice the highest amount I'd be willing to pay for this game.

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

I was looking forward to this game...
Still am, but definitely not at $30. Didn't pay that price for Yumi, and I certainly won't for this.
$10 is probably the most I'm willing to pay for this.

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

$30? Unless you are mad at your wallets, $10; maybe $15 at best. I already have this on my GBA, imported from EU.

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

This title better be packed with content for that price Teyon otherwise I'm waiting for a sale.

I could budge with Yumi but.....

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

30$ really is quite a stretch. I won't get this game, either way, but Teyon really should reconsider the starting price tag. It's quite difficult to sell a download-only remake for more than 20$ - unless it's REALLY good.

vonseux

vonseux said:

We all agree not buying a shooter remake for 30 bucks... lets wait for the price cut. Ill buy it. At 10 or 15 maximum

bofis

bofis said:

SO EXPENSIVE for a remake of a Genesis game...especially compared with the M2 Sega 3D titles (of which I'm still waiting for OutRun to exist in the US). I'm tempted by this game, but I'll wait for a price drop or sale. Perhaps I'll use this time to try out Yumi since everyone seems to love that and now it's slightly cheaper at least

Drac_Mazoku

Drac_Mazoku said:

@Knuckles I think we understand each other perfectly. Even if it was a 100$ price tag, once you sold your soul to Sega, there's no turning back. I'll be the stupid one who'll be buying this when its released for 30$ only because the word SEGA was mentionned. Curse you Teyon!!!

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

I'm not one to complain about prices, but this is really asking too much.

I'll just have to wait for a sale.

cfgk24

cfgk24 said:

In the preview, by Kerry, she states it is a premium quality game, a full retail release, Therefore fairly priced. :'(

Spectator

Spectator said:

I'm sorry...$30?
DId Teyon not see what happened to kokuga at 15 dollars?
This type of game will not make back its money at this price.

seng2kx

seng2kx said:

So many companies overlook how much pricing can effect their product. Are they this stupid? Look at how many products failed because they "overcharged" the buyers. When insanely great games like Guacamelee, Shovel Knight and many more costs half of what this company is asking its just ridiculous. For $30 you can buy actual cart(or DL) copies of Mario Kart 7, Donkey Kong Country Returns etc. Seriously ppl. Stop being stupid and ruin ur product with outrageous prices that have no justification.

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

@Spectator
And Kokuga was even a full price retail release in Japan, I believe, so getting it for $15 was a good deal. The asking price for Steel Empire here is utterly insane. Even $15 would be pushing it, for me.

WebOfHair

WebOfHair said:

I will be buying it. I love shooters, they don't make enough of them. I played the Japanese Demo and loved it. Never played the Genesis original. Also I would have paid full retail for Kokuga if released on cart as well, I originally bought a Japanese system to play it, then 2 days after I got it, the US one was announced...

Za23

Za23 said:

I wonder if any thought went into the price, since it seems like Teyon took the Japanese price (2,940 yen) and converted it to $29.99.

tanookisuit

tanookisuit said:

Greedy! $30 for a digital rental is sick. I want to say I hope it fails, but it's such a good game.

I just bagged the GBA version like new all complete in the box for $40 just a few days ago, should be here tomorrow. There's no way I'd pay almost as much as a physical copy for digital vapor. I know the GBA game usually is a $60 so I'm happy I got the deal but still $30 is criminal.

ecco: $30 would be easy enough for a loose copy of it. It goes under the name Kotetsu Teikoku.

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

What's the issue? SHMUPs commonly were sold for full price alongside all the other games back in the day, alongside pinball games (sometimes with ONE table too) and nobody ever complained, but the same genres released at full price today seems to be 'too expensive' for some reason. What makes pinball and SHMUPs less worthy than say, FPS or adventure games? Is it because of their arcade "get the best score" nature? It never made any sense to me. Fans of the genre would think it's a steal, honestly.

Yes, it's an update of an old game, but I don't see how that means anything price wise. Old games doesn't automatically mean low prices.

Too bad I'm rather poor at the moment. This game looks great to me.

Wolfgabe

Wolfgabe said:

The price tag is a poor move. If you are gonna charge that much for a download only title. You better make sure the price tag is justified. Take Oddworld New n Tasty for example. They didn't just give it an HD coat of paint and call it a day they pretty much overhauled everything and rebuilt the game from the ground up including the levels, the gameplay, the mechanics, the controls etc. When you look at it its obvious that the amount of effort they put in far exceeds the effort we see in most HD remakes/remasters so the 30 dollars kinda makes sense. For a remake of a Genesis game on the other hand, that is just tantamount to robbery

gojiguy

gojiguy said:

I can pick up a Genesis cart for 1/3rd the price.

So I'll either do that or just wait until a sale shows up. $30 for a port of a retro shmup is a bit too much for me. I was hoping for a price in line with the SEGA 3D Classics line...

BooJoh

BooJoh said:

This game looks awesome. I love the steampunk aesthetic, and I love shmups that don't fall into the bullet hell category. But I just can't see myself wanting to part with more than $15-$20 tops for it. In a day when AAA indie titles go for $15 on average, this just seems overpriced.

xj0462

xj0462 said:

your kidding right i can buy both the genesis version of this AND shovel knight AND 3 old sports games for 30 bucks! what is wrong with them to charge that much!?

iphys

iphys said:

@Za23 I think they basically did just convert the Japanese price to dollars, and the Japanese price was probably high because the original cartridges seem to go for a fortune in Japan, unlike the NA cartridges. Maybe the $30 price won't work in NA, and they'll be forced to put it on sale or permanently drop it, judging by all the hate the price tag is getting. Now I'm not sure whether to bite the bullet and drop the $30 like I was planning to or wait for the sale like everyone else seems to be holding out for.

Jahir

Jahir said:

I want this game... but 30 dollars is a little too much for me right now. What about $15 Teyon?

TurboTEF

TurboTEF said:

Owned the original Genesis version way back in 1993 and I'm never going to pay $30 for this. $10 is the sweet spot for me and I'll hold out for that. I wouldn't even pay $30 for an enhance Monster World 3 or 4.

Radbot42

Radbot42 said:

Looks fun, but for a game with only 7 levels.... there is no way I am buying it at that price.

Tsusasi

Tsusasi said:

I was really excited for this… then they got greedy. I was expecting $15, possibly $20 at the outside. $30 is ridiculous. I can tell you right now… I didn't pay that much for the original back when it came out (caught a sale). I'll just pop my original cartridge into my Nomad and get my handheld fix until they come to their senses.