E3 2014: Nintendo Reveals Amiibo NFC Concept, Confirmed For Mario Kart 8

Posted by Damien McFerran

Toys 'r' Us

As expected, Nintendo has confirmed its NFC figurine platform for the Wii U, and has even given it a funky new name: Amiibo.

During Nintendo's E3 Digital Event, Amiibo was shown in the Wii U version of Super Smash Bros., where a Mario figure was deployed to assist in battle. Other confirmed figures for the game are Kirby, Yoshi, Pikachi, Peach, Donkey Kong, The Villager, Link, Wii Fit Trainer and Samus.

However, it has been confirmed that the tech will be rolled out to other games, as well as one we're already playing: Mario Kart 8. Future titles to support the figurines include Mario Party 10, Yoshi's Woolly World and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker.

IxnayontheCK

IxnayontheCK said:

This has always confused me, does the figure have to stay on the gamepad? If so, how are you supposed to use it to play??

Raptor78

Raptor78 said:

If its like pokemon rumble you just have to hold it for a few seconds before it jumps in the game. Then you can remove it. I assume it will be the same in Smash Bros.

Raptor78

Raptor78 said:

Will Rumble figures be compatible with Amiibo figures? I have a nice collection and would love to use them in other games.

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

Need details. Does this mean more characters added to MK8 over time?

HappyHappyist

HappyHappyist said:

I hope this doesn't ruin Smash. I've never played before, and I've been looking forward to this one. If this is some kind of paywall for content in the game, I'm not getting either 3DS or WiiU copies.

noctowl

noctowl said:

So happy this was announced! The knee jerk reactions from the "hardcore" will be so entertaining.

@HappyHappyist well I'm getting both and the figurines. Nintendo will be fine without your 100 bucks

Paintfrog

Paintfrog said:

Honestly I am happy with this announcement. I never was interested in Skylanders, but having Nintendo figures has gotten me excited. :) I hope they make quite a few Animal Crossing figures!

dkxcalibur

dkxcalibur said:

We'll see. I'm concerned about how much content each figure will bring to each game. Playing against my "figure" doesn't sound all that fun to me.

Heiki

Heiki said:

I have really mixed feelings about this. I wonder if online matches on SSB will be unfair because your opponent is using one of these?

That said, I wouldn't mind picking up one or two figurines, as long as they are something extra, not essential to gameplay.

Sparx

Sparx said:

They have custom moves and they also previously said custom moves are not for online so we wouldn't see these online

sounds more like treating them as pokemon, you have your figure that you battle against others and then it gets stronger

if what it has is a better ai than the ai without the figure then I'm sold, sometimes you want something harder than level 9s for a one on one

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

I'm really interested to see how it will work for Mario Kart. Do we really have to wait until Christmas though?

Rafie

Rafie said:

Nintendo really did wow me today! Nothing but positive things to say! I love it. I will buy every single Amiibo even if I won't ever use it. I'm OCD like that!

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Yes, this is exactly what I wished Nintendo would do. Now pretty much all the major Nintendo games will use these figurines Smash Bros., Mario Party 10, Mario Kart 8? Nintendo, you will surely reap the profits. I think a spark already shot out of my wallet.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Nintendo has so many iconic characters and games that I was really looking forward to these.

But -

amoeba? That's the best name they can come up with? And people gave them grief over Wii U.
No main game. I don't know the cost, but these seem so UNNECESSARY for any game, why buy them? My kids were SO EXCITED for Pokemon Rumble U adn it's Pokemon toys. We got 1 free w/ the game and never got another. We have over 2 dozen similarly sized Pokemon toys, but those were lame.
Why are they on hockey pucks? With all the color Ninteod puts in their games like Zelda U and MK8 these colorful figures get ugly boring black bases? They look so cheap.

We'll probably get some, but these are the equivalent of those junk mall Super Ranger toys that rip off Power Rangers. They barely seem to be trying.

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

My biggest gripe with this:
It will probably only be available in the US for america.
People will be spamming amiibos online (if they are allowed, but I hope they arent)
More $$$ to throw around.

Nico07

Nico07 said:

@ShadJV Same questions here. Will you race as these characters or simply against them? Will new stages or battle arenas be part of this potential for add on content? Can't wait but want more details.

absuplendous

absuplendous said:

My reactions are mixed. Since I've wanted physical Smash trophies since Melee (with that simulated trophy room), I'm ultimately happy. I'm also glad the the core gameplay doesn't rely on them; and yet, the point about customization seems since you can't actually control them. Whether or not I embrace them really depends on how they're generally implemented. The create-your-own-version-of-the-character aspect of Smash more or less works, but "buy Funky Kong Amiibo to unlock him in MK8!" is not going to fly with me.

FernandoMachado

FernandoMachado said:

Mixed feelings as I'm all digital when it comes to Wii U games and I can already see exclusive figurines being bundled with deluxe physical copies meaning you'll be even more ripped for going digital.

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

I like this and those figures look awesome whats the price for each figure cause i want them now.

HappyHappyist

HappyHappyist said:

@noctowl Way I see it, half the content of the game is locked behind the paywall of dozens of expensive dolls. I'm not paying more than $60 dollars for a game, anything above that is just insane. And a fighting game, of all things, is what I'd be paying $100+ for?! Out of the question. completely. I don't care if nintendo doesn't care about my money, because that deal is ludicrous.

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

So you are saying that I can FINALLY race an adorable Pikachu around Royal Raceway?

Please check to see that my heart hasn't stopped.

mike_intv

mike_intv said:

Love to know how much these will cost and how they will be sold.
I just know that they will cost me. A LOT.

RickyNGmr

RickyNGmr said:

It seems like the amiibo will be controlled by itself, depending on the capabilities we as owners have gained. Its like you store on the amiibo all kind of strategy you develop during battles... then put them into battle to show off against others!?