Steampunk Shooter Steel Empire Is Flying To North American 3DS Consoles This Summer

Posted by Damien McFerran

Taking to the skies

Steel Empire has just launched in Japan, and you'll be pleased to know that our resident import expert Kerry is already dodging shrapnel in order to bring you a hands-on preview very soon. In the meantime we have more good news — publisher Starfish SD has confirmed that it is coming to North America later this year.

Based on the Mega Drive / Genesis shooter of the same name, Steel Empire is a horizontally-scrolling blaster set in a steampunk universe not entirely dissimilar to that seen in the legendary anime movie Laputa: Castle in the Sky. Its engaging gameplay and distinctive visual style have helped it carve out quite a niche — this isn't the first remake we've seen, as the Game Boy Advance got a port a few years back.

We'll bring you some hands-on impressions very soon — as well as exclusive gameplay footage — but while you're waiting, be sure to let us know if you plan on buying this when it hits the North American eShop this summer. We've no word on a European release, but we'll let you know the moment we hear something.

[via gonintendo.com]

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

I loved the originals style but as a shooter it wasn't really up to much,hopefully this will be better.I think it will need to cost less than the $30 it released in Japan for though if it hopes to get decent sales.

3dcaleb

3dcaleb said:

cool finally some gameplay footage. this looks like it will be pretty good actually. if its under $10 i'll get it for sure. if its more ill have to think about it, or wait for reviews.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

Yeah, its way expensive. I would have gotten it if it was lower.

Just checking, this is not under the 3d Classics banner right? Its just a regular e-shop game? The one or two guys who edit the virtual console Wikipedia page are pretty intent on having this game on that page, they're so territorial. I really don't understand internet culture.

Nomad

Nomad said:

Man, I used to love shmups back in the MegaDrive days. Then they just faded into obscurity when the Playstation hit and everyone wanted games in 3D. Thanks for that sony.

Zemus-DJ

Zemus-DJ said:

My only problems with this is it wasn't done by M2 and it's price I doubt is justified. Unless there's a ton of new never before seen content, not just remastered in 3D depth.

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

One of the nicer Megadrive shooters but it looks better than it actually plays.

Jollykarp

Jollykarp said:

Is it just me or is this game fairly zoomed in? I thought the player got hit a few times by unavoidable attacks in that trailer. Otherwise, the graphical style is amazing :o

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Revere There is loads of good ones on the Playstation and Saturn. (Not always better on the Saturn either most of the Arcade ports are). Zanac X Zanac / G-Darius / Raiden DX / Thunderforce V / Strikers 1945 II.

KingMike

KingMike said:

I got the original.
The only Japanese game Flying Edge (the Sega LJN) published!

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@XCWarrior It is harder than ever - for DS games you could just order from Play Asia. (Like I did for a few.). Megadrive and SNES worked with a simple adapter.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I actually like the idea of a steam punk side scrollling shooter even though I don't like very many games in the genre. I'll at the very least be keeping my eyes on this game until its release. Could be interesting.