Nintendo of America Releases Snaps of Young Celebrities Plugging Yoshi's New Island

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Egging them on

When new games are on the horizon Nintendo occasionally reels out some celebrities to pose with the product in question, to give them an extra cool factor. We imagine that's the intention anyway, some of us older gamers have to consult Wikipedia to find out who these stars are, but we suspect that's not the case for the target audience.

These snaps are from California on 9th March, when Nintendo hosted three young celebrities to pose with Yoshi 3DS XL systems and throw green paint at an enormous egg — there's no photographic evidence of them actually throwing paint balloons, however, so there's some suspicion of foul play.

All images via Nintendo of America.

deKay

deKay said:

Literally no idea who any of those people are. And surely the kid from About a Boy should be in his 20s now? How come he looks 10?

Alshain01

Alshain01 said:

Not a clue who these people are, but the last little girl needs to put some clothes on.

MamaLuigi

MamaLuigi said:

I still want this game! It might not stack up to the original in reviews in the end, but as long as it doesn't have that pesky screen gap like Yoshi's DS interfering with gameplay that already makes it better. XD

@Alshain01 You never can tell who many TV actors are... >_>

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Like always bad product uses this type of advertising. (If it isn't then better to not use it due to it implying the product is rubbish so we have to resort to these sort of tactics)

mystman12

mystman12 said:

About a Boy - Never heard of it.
Teen Beach Movie - Hate it
Shake it Up - Hate it even more
They should have had at least one Good Luck Charlie actor in there, that was Disney's last really good sitcom. The only ones left that I ever watch are Jessie and Austin and Ally, and those shows aren't even good enough to keep up with, I pretty much only ever watch them if I come downstairs and it just so happens that's what's on the TV. I can't stand any of the other new sitcoms on there right now. Gravity Falls is Disney channels only hope at the moment.

turnmebackwards

turnmebackwards said:

The last picture is the only thing worth anything in this article not that I know who any of them are. I've never played Yoshi's Island on the SNES let alone going to get this on the 3DS. I'd rather play the SNES one first it's on my hit list but £30 for a cart on eBay UK :|

Artie

Artie said:

Nintendo of America are fools. This is why I don't respect them or any other American company for that matter. What happened? I used to live in a better world where product quality stood on its own or it failed because it wasn't up to snuff. Unfortunately, the future generations of our world actually respond to this crap.

Ruffigan

Ruffigan said:

@Artie The world where Mike Tyson helped sell Punch-Out; or where a feature length movie was made to plug Super Mario Bros. 3; or where inane cartoons, trading cards, and collectibles spurred the initial sales of a certain monster fighting RPG? The use of pathos (or ethos and logos) is not an indicator of quality, it's a megaphone to reach the less informed (albeit, in this case, somewhat contrived). If you're going to rip on the quality of the game, you need a better argument.

Artie

Artie said:

@Ruffigan You have a few points there. I will give you those. The thing you erroneously posted is that I somewhere bashed the products quality. I never said anything about the quality of Yoshi's New Island. How could I? I have not played it yet, nor I am assuming have you. It's not available to us yet.

Ruffigan

Ruffigan said:

@Artie That was why I made the argument, you seemed to be implying it, but that is now obviously not the case. Sorry about that.

AcesHigh

AcesHigh said:

@mystman12 I agree! Good Luck Charlie was genuinely funny. I was always surprised that never was made into a primetime show. In comparison to all the other bubble gum garbage on Disney and Nick, that show stood on its own.

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

I am within driving distance of this event (and E3 for that matter) and I could've covered for you NL if I had a job as a correspondent. :-P

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

I've only heard of Bella Thorne from Shake It Up on Disney channel. Good tv show. :) The other two never heard of at all...

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

Romeo

Romeo said:

is it just me or does her head look extremely big?

not that i care though.. obviously no idea who any of them are

lamco

lamco said:

I think i know the last girl... I haven't watched disney channel in ages though. I see NoA is trying to reach out with children/younger teenagers with this.

GamecubeComplex

GamecubeComplex said:

@mystman12
In my opinion Disney Channel is dead in the water. The majority of their programming is currently garbage, but Good Luck Charlie was one of the better ones, I guess.

faint

faint said:

you guys have to remember ninty isn't trying to sell this to us. we have already made up are minds. this marketing attempt is aiming for the deep blue ocean. they watch this kind of crap.

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

@mystman12 Good Luck Charlie is the best family sitcom for 20 years, but that's because due to the death of the genre they were able to hire some of the best. Not only do I watch it with my wife & kids, I also enjoy it with some of my mates - PJ has to be the funniest stupid character, even better than Joey from Friends.
Shake it Up I can watch in small doses (an episode here and there), and Austin & Ally occasionally has made me chuckle or be slightly entertained a few times. Jessie is probably the most watchable of the remaining stuff now.
Shake It Up is probably the most watched by it's target audience and this actress is probably the most popular Disney teen girl (as the one from Good Luck Charlie is 20 by now I think)

Manaphy2007

Manaphy2007 said:

i only know about the chick as my 15 yr old sis watches the show (now reruns) and they should do more of this with other celebs, young and old.

HappyMaskedGuy

HappyMaskedGuy said:

I've never heard of or seen these people, but then I'm not a kid watching kid's TV. Has to be said though, that Bella Thorne is a good looking girl. I'm neither for nor against this particular marketing campaign.
Seems a weird idea to begin with, and perhaps a competition for younger Nintendo fans to meet and have some fun with said 'celebrities' would have been a better move.

Pod

Pod said:

I guess we're not exactly the target audience for this kind of thing.

The people who will react to these images probably don't go to Nintendolife to read news and watch trailers either though.

ToastyYogurt

ToastyYogurt said:

....Nintendo needs better taste in celebrities. And a new marketing committee. Turns me off how much they've been using boy bands and Disney Channel "Stars" to promote their products. Also, their other commercials suck nowadays. What happened to the people that came up with "Wii would like to play?"

jpfan1989

jpfan1989 said:

Either im old or live under a rock because I have no clue who any of these people are also when did they start using the word "plug" in place of "advertise"?