Masahiro Sakurai Teases A Potential Final Smash For Luigi in Latest Super Smash Bros. Screenshot

Posted by Conor McMahon

More ready than ever to clean up on the battlefield

Kicking off a new week's worth of daily pics, Masahiro Sakurai today revealed a shot of Luigi in a Miiverse post sure to scare off any ghost.

The younger Mario brother has been continually tweaked as the Smash Bros series goes on, with altered mechanics and moves to make him stand out from his mustachioed counterpart. Now, a familiar piece of equipment might help make him even more memorable.

Luigi might be thinking, "Who would've thought I'd get to show off the Poltergust in Super Smash Bros.?!" Wondering if it's going to suck something in? Yeah, it probably will.

Representing last year's quite brilliant Lugi's Mansion: Dark Moon on 3DS, Sakurai's comment confirms that the Poltergust 5000 will be added to the green wonder's arsenal this time around.

If that familiar glowing aura is anything to go by, it would seem as though E-Gadd's device will be used as a new Final Smash for Luigi, replacing the 'negative zone' first seen in Brawl. It's worth referencing back to a previous Miiverse post here which mentions how an introduction of every Final Smash would take over a month's worth of posts. Does this credit the sizeable roster or hint at multiple Final Smashes per-character? Wild speculation ahoy!

In any case, let us know if you're excited for the change, and for the chance to suck up a similarly confused-looking Donkey Kong.

[via miiverse.nintendo.net]

Related Games

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

Heh, who said that the poltergust 3000 is actually a final smash move? It could be Sakurai trolling us again. ;)

GalacticMario28

GalacticMario28 said:

I liked Negative Zone, but I think I like this better. I hadn't considered multiple final smashes per character; that could be a neat twist.

nomeacuerdo

nomeacuerdo said:

Looks sweet!

I was thinking that adding king boo to the roster would be something funny, with mechanics like "he can't attack if everybody's facing him". Or maybe just an assist, but it would be pretty amusing.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

That's what his final smash should have been to begin with. Negative zone doesn't even make sense...

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

I hope this is a new Final Smash move for Luigi. His Brawl Final Smash move was rather lame. Actually Luigi overall was rather lame, lol. ;-) (don't lynch me)

ACK

ACK said:

Please, Sakurai, don't waste time or resources on multiple Final Smashes per character or across platforms. I admit that I generally turn them off (along with Heart Containers and Mega Hammers), but the effort necessary to create multiple flashy moves only activated through a smash ball/orb would be borderline impractical and certainly a balancing nightmare... (I'd much rather see that energy put into more Character Trophies, by contrast.)

Thankfully, that Luigi is clearly engaged in a Final Smash using his Poltergust 5000 (most recently seen in Dark Moon for 3DS) captured from the Wii U blunts some of this speculation. (At least as far as varied moves among platforms go.)

EDIT: As a result I think it's clear the overall prevalence of Final Smashes is related to the size of the roster (likely to be in excess of 30 characters), more than any other possibility.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

Good job Sakurai replacing Negative zone which sucked nice to see some Luigi's Mansion love in SSB4.

Dark-Luigi

Dark-Luigi said:

I'm gonna miss Negative Zone. I really loved it. But this is SOOOOOOOOOO FREAKING AWESOME! I love you Sakurai! :D

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

It's worth referencing back to a previous Miiverse post which mentions how an introduction of every Final Smash would take over a month's worth of posts. Does this credit the sizeable roster or hint at multiple Final Smashes per-character?
Nope. Brawl had 30 characters already (or even 35? Not sure), so of course it would take at least 35 posts to showcase them all, new characters included. It's math, and also effective advertisement, even if not intentional.

ValiantPixel

ValiantPixel said:

This is such a hype-generating picture! This is the first piece of significant Luigi's Mansion content we have seen thus far. I'd really like to see one or more of the Portrait Ghosts from the original game become Assist Trophies and Trophies, namely Chauncey, Biff Atlas, the Clockwork Soldiers and Vincent Van Gogh. The latter would be interesting because he could spawn multiple ghosts and they could serve as obstacles.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I wish he would tease a release date. Tomorrow is April 1, 2014, saying 2014 was ok at E3 2013 but they need to start narrowing it down a bit more. Maybe some box art.

Well at least SSB is getting coverage, Bayonetta 2 is eerily quiet.

BieberBlows

BieberBlows said:

I'm not sure how this will work. My guess is Luigi releases some ghosts and they knock people off the stage.

DreamyViridi

DreamyViridi said:

@Dark-Luigi - Don't lie, you're gonna miss the Negative Zone for the dance, right? :D

I liked that Final Smash btw. Yeah, it didn't make sense but it was an effective Final Smash that pretty much disabled opponents defensively, leaving them wide open. With that said, I welcome this Poltergust Final Smash and absolutely can't wait to see how it works! I hope it's good! I wonder how many other veterans will have their Final Smashes change in this game...

Silent

Silent said:

@Maelstrom Wrong, When a player acquires the smash ball, the screen darkens. For all that we know, that could be one of his special moves or a taunt.

Cevan

Cevan said:

@Giygas_95 Agreed. Glad to see Sakurai made the right choice and gave Luigi the good ol' Poltergust instead of the Negative Zone.

Weedy

Weedy said:

As was pointed out in the last article; Sakurai only posts on weekdays so that's only a maximum of 23 posts in a month. And as @Kaze_Memaryu pointed out we've already seen rosters bigger than that.

SuperDan64

SuperDan64 said:

I would rather have the Poltergust 5000 to be a special move like Mario's Fludd device, so you could walk around with it.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

Potential? It IS a new final smash. The stage is darkened and Luigi is glowing, both sure signs that this is a final smash. It's as simple as that.

The Poltergust is a hundred times better than the Negative Zone. I didn't realize that people like the Negative Zone all that much. It always seemed too bizarre to me.

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

Darn, I was looking forward to Luigi's new Smash: The Nintendo Zone, an eerily strange blue orb filled with connection issues, and has Luigi shooting streetpasses at the enemies. D:

ModernMARVEL

ModernMARVEL said:

I can't wait to see all of the final smashes! This is definitely an interesting one. Gonna miss that dance though.

torotoid64

torotoid64 said:

@Maelstrom NOT NECESSARILY that happens once you get the smash ball not when you activate it so this could still be a move/Taunt now the discussion has ended

torotoid64

torotoid64 said:

And just because he said it would take a month to reveal all the final smashs so far does not mean a thing they're 24 characters so far revealed and probably he was just talking about how it take a month to reveal all the current rosters FS in detail gosh darn niblets

Znerd

Znerd said:

So people who hated the negative zone are you saying that when it was used on you or cause it doesn't make sense? I Liked it cause it was very effective

2Sang

2Sang said:

No doubt this will be my favorite pic this week unless a new character is revealed. The better question is, why wasn't the poltergust in Brawl?

Henmii

Henmii said:

Yeah, that would be cool! Sucking everyone in, while frantic music plays! Sounds like a cool final smash!!

lucario1818

lucario1818 said:

this is great, and if they wanted the nagative zone still they could make eveyone in side become a ghost.

BSFsontails1012

BSFsontails1012 said:

His final is much better than the brawl one, by my opinion. This makes me wonder about Mega Lucario for a final smash and if Fox will use another thing instead of the Landmaster, maybe the Arwing!

KeatonTS

KeatonTS said:

@Maelstrom True. It does get dark, But that is only when you OBTAIN it. Upon breaking the ball, the arena gets dark, but that doesn't necessarily mean you used it yet. This could very well be Luigi's version of Mario's Down+B Fludd Technique.

KeatonTS

KeatonTS said:

I hope he keeps negative space. I've been utilizing that move with luigi's Up+B screechy flaming punch thing, I can't still catch people without it, but it's fun when they've been caught and a KO is imminent. . . Better yet. I hope you can Assign different smash attacks (i.e: Pressing certain buttons whilst holding B to perform another smash attack)

JayceJa

JayceJa said:

as a luigi player primarily; negative zone is increbily fun, but it didnt really make sense to be fair, i wouldn't be adverse to a new final smash using poltergust if it was just as fun

its a better alternative to them replacing his down+B like they did to mario

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

I gotta admit, when I saw this pic. this morning, I was kind of a bit turned off of the idea that this would be Luigi's NEW Final Smash. I mean, what the heck else could it mean seeing as how he's glowing in the image. But on a side note, it is good to see Luigi sporting the Poltergust 5000 this time. Now, Negative Zone may not have been my fav. Final Smash in Brawl , but is sure was quite interesting if you pulled it off right in a 3 or 4 player FREE-FOR-ALL. In closing, I will agree with what @DreamyViridi said about how many other veteran characters Final Smashes have changed. As for TOTAL characters in the game, I predict about 40 - 45 at least.

StaticWind

StaticWind said:

It looks like it'd be a pretty neat Final Smash! I like the Negative Zone, but I'd rather take this any day. If anything, I hope the Poltergust is a part of Luigi's moveset. I just want characters to be as represented as possible. I really wouldn't mind if they changed some of Luigi's moves to make use of the Poltergust. It's one way of saying why I don't mind Mario having FLUDD. :D

somari

somari said:

I wonder why everyone hate's the negative zone. That smash might makes sense for Luigi as he is always a Negative character. Poltergust smash looks great to so i would be happy for any one of them.

luckybreak

luckybreak said:

The "Negative" Zone is such a mild reference to drugs. He is all loopy and they play weird music and hallucinate. I mean they eat mushrooms to gain power ups right?

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

@Jahir Well it just seemed rather random to me...like it didn't really fit the character. I mean I was dumbfounded when I realized his final smash in Brawl wasn't the Poltergust.

@Moshugan Don't worry, I think he'll show us his moves eventually.

Manaphy2007

Manaphy2007 said:

luigi was kinda lame and made it worse with his final smash so im hoping this new one will make him less lame and i dont think sakurai would troll us....or would he?