Wii U System Update 4.0.2 Goes Live

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Spot the differences

It's system update time once again on the Wii U, though before you get out the party hats you should know that 4.0.2 U (North America) and 4.0.2 E (Europe) are only small files focused on "minor adjustments".

As expected, the Nintendo changelog says the following.

Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience

You can seek out the update, yet it is mandatory; the system won't connect to the Wii U eShop without completing it. We did encounter a hiccup on our UK machine in that our hardware then crashed when loading the eShop; other applications such as Miiverse, the web browser, the Friend List and games loaded as normal. After a few hard resets and patience the issue seemed to resolve itself; at the time of writing this has only happened on one of our machines.

Have you downloaded this update, and is all running as normal? Let us know below.

BenAV

BenAV said:

Guess I should get it over with now so that it doesn't try to do it when I next go to play a game, but at the same time, I can't be bothered...

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

It downloaded for like a minute and I've got (as usual with my Wii U) no problems at all. I don't know if it's just me being a bit distracted (made some breakfast while the gamepad sat on its cradle right next to the kitchen), but I felt like it booted slightly faster after the update.

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

my Wii U is set to update automaticaly anyway so I think it's already updated (I was at work all day yesterday so I'm not sure)

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Yeah it forced me to update when I tried to go to the eShop so I just followed the prompts & it only took a minute or two, really quick. I was wondering what the update did & now I know. It does nothing :p

withoutdk

withoutdk said:

werent they supposed to bring a huge update a while ago ? i have not seen any improvements so far.. :/

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

I'd imagine mine has downloaded it stealthily in the night for me like it did with Karaoke without me asking!

I was hoping the eshop maintenance would mean we'd get a proper VC this week :(

Judgedean

Judgedean said:

As soon as I turned the console on, it said there was an update to install which was done in a minute. Haven't fully tested the console out though - just went into settings to move a game to the external USB HDD.

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

Downloaded it last night. It took a couple attempts to completely download it, but ever since it's installed all has been fine.

Shadowflash

Shadowflash said:

@WiiLovePeace Just because you don't see any changes doesn't mean that there weren't any. There's still coding behind all the pretty stuff that can be improved.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Thanks for the heads up. Getting it today so i can smoothly get 3d world on the 22nd

Magiick

Magiick said:

So I'm guessing we won't get the "big fall update" until the end of December? What's going on Nintendo?

elreins

elreins said:

It downloaded during the night and installed itself this morning, while I was attempting to read my email.

It all seems to be working just as before, maybe a little bit faster?
no crashes here.

DenniSundaY

DenniSundaY said:

@Magiick Are you serious? The big fall update was the update to version 4.0.0. So you've already installed that update I suppose. Pay attention next time you say something like this :P

daveh30

daveh30 said:

done 'n done. No issues here. Now let's get that 3DS update out Nintendo!

Geoffrey188

Geoffrey188 said:

Hey guys, chuck some headphones in and play a game. Listen for sounds that should be specifically on the left or right speaker. For some reason this update has switched them for the Wii U gamepad only. If you plug the headphones into the gamepad sounds from the left will come through the right speaker, sounds from the right play through the left speaker. This is really annoying. Even without headphones, it will do the same thing, but it ONLY happens on the gamepad. Your TV speaker, or external speakers from your TV should be fine.

paburrows

paburrows said:

I'm curious why the 3DS gets tons of updates and it seems that the Wii U doesn't maybe I'm not noticing since I don't have a Wii U yet, but it seems like it.

neosalad

neosalad said:

I updated earlier today and DID have an issue.
booted up fine, got some message that my machine had downloaded Karaoke and Wii Sports club by itself... but not the update in question..
I then updated Wii Fit U withdata from the fit meter...

Went to the Nintendo E-Shop, where I was prompted for the update, which it then downloaded, installed and rebooted afterwards...

But when it booted i had none of my programs or games on the start screen, all boxes were blank, and it wouldnt let me move to the first two sections (where they would be, just the other 3) was very weird. was able to bring a settings thing up via the home button but then my touchpad went crazy... gave it a bit of a clean then it seemed ok so may of been coincidental.. re-booted a few more times then eventually i got my programs/games back on the screen.. i was really worried something horrible had happened on the update. not sure what else it's done thats supposed to be good.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Still waiting for the next major update. Hopefully the next one turn the Wii U GamePad into a Classic Controller for playing Wii games.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

System stability? Even though I don't own a Wii U, I kind of have to ask: why? There aren't ways to hack the console yet, as far as I know.

Sonic260

Sonic260 said:

@AlexSora89
With any computing system, the more you update and fix any vulnerabilities, the harder it is to hack. Why would you wait until something is hacked before you make fixes? By that point it would be too late. :x

wombatkidd

wombatkidd said:

@EvisceratorX @Magiick @Bluezealand

The update you are all complaining about not getting was the 4.0 update. A non inclusive list of features it added:

• can use the gamepad in Wii mode
  • automatic software downloads
  • usb keyboard support
  • Dolby Pro Logic 2 support for wii games
  • Fixed the issue where Wii VC games always displayed stretched instead of in their proper aspect ratio. (This wasn't documented though)

And speed optimization as well. The difference with browsing between the pre-4.0 firmware and the current one is night and day.

This was back in September.

JudgeMethos

JudgeMethos said:

Yeah, it happened while was tryin to get on the eshop last night. Didn't notice any difference.

daveh30

daveh30 said:

@Bluezealand

check the settings menu and see what version you're running. 4.0.0 made it very slick.... going back to the main menu from MiiVerse or a game is almost instant

Bluezealand

Bluezealand said:

@daveh30
That was already fixed with the Spring Update. Loading stuff is still REALLY slow. It didn't change at all after the 4.00 Update!

daveh30

daveh30 said:

@Bluezealand

Don't know what to tell ya. It wasn't slow after the spring update, and the fall update improved it again. You want to see slow, watch GTA V load on a PS3. Bring snacks.

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

They should fix that useless off-screen Wii thing right away, you need to have your TV on to start it up for God's sake!

wombatkidd

wombatkidd said:

@Bluezealand It takes less than half a second to go from a program to the internet browser and less than 5 seconds to start a program in the first place. I don't get where people think that's "slow"

Platypus101

Platypus101 said:

@retro_player_22 I was thinking the same thing... A friend o' mine then reminded me about their pro controller, and how that would kill the sale of at least one peripheral... (And since most classic controller dependent games - VC in many cases - would only need 2 pro controllers, they would have essentially cut themselves out of 50% of given sales) :( oh, we'll, one can dream can't they? :)