Suda51: "Nintendo Are Always Very Important To Us"

Posted by Lewis Childs

Sees the rise of indie games as the highlight of the current generation

Suda51 (or Goichi Suda as he’s known to his mum), the mastermind behind titles such as No More Heroes, Killer7 and Lollipop Chainsaw, hasn’t released a game on a Nintendo home console since No More Heroes 2 for the Wii in 2010. However, Grasshopper Manufacture’s CEO hasn't ruled out the possibility of bringing future titles to the Wii U.

Speaking to expansivedlc.com, Suda had this to say:

Yeah of Course, it’s a possibility. I guess we haven’t really announced anything yet for Wii U, but for 3DS we had Liberation Maiden… consoles from Nintendo are always very important to us.

When asked to evaluate the current console generation, Suda spoke positively about the emergence of indie games:

I guess what’s more important is the video game itself and not the platform it’s on, and I think it’s really important to be able to have the chance to play all kinds of different games – not just mega AAA titles but indie games too.

You know, Indie games are not necessarily poorly made, I think nowadays we are shifting towards the era where you get to play all kinds of different games of different sizes – but they are all equally as good.

What do you think? Would you like to see No More Heroes 3, or another Grasshopper Manufacture title come to Wii U? Let us know in the comments section below.

[via expansivedlc.com]

SkywardCrowbar

SkywardCrowbar said:

I'm a big fan of Suda. His games have soul, which is more than can be said about a lot of the stuff that is on the market as of late. I find it very unsurprising that he's an indie game fan.

Emblem

Emblem said:

I'd rather have a new project than No More Heroes 3 although the name alone would likely shift more units. I love wacky Japanese games and this guy specialises in them lol, i have them all on my PS3.

FYI Suda Liberation Maiden could have been so much more than it was.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

Going by reviews he's been on a bit of a downward spiral but I would love a No More Heroes 3, provided it was done justice, the second was such a leap from the first even though the characters in the first were amazing.

Xcape_DuCkMAN_X

Xcape_DuCkMAN_X said:

No More Heroes 3 would be a Day One must have for me. But I would TRULY LOVE TO SEE A PREQUEL TO KILLER 7!!!!

MJKOP

MJKOP said:

Killer 7 and No More Heroes were like nothing I'd ever played before, good stuff, be nice to see something for Wii U

edhe

edhe said:

Nope. His company; Grasshopper Manufacture is firmly under the thumb of GungHo nowadays, and as such, they seem to be releasing their games on every console but the Nintendo one.

Read: "Oh, we love Nintendo and everything, but we can't actually release any games for it. A dog ate our dev kit."

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

I am a huge fan of this man's work but since I don't own a PS3 or 360, I have been missing out on his latest offerings. I would really love to see "Killer 8" or "No More Heroes 3" on Wii U... I will keep my fingers crossed for the future.

galachef55Staff

galachef55 said:

A friend of mine who had recently gotten a Wii and I were shopping for games at a big box retailer. I handed her a copy of No More Heroes and said "thank me later." She did.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

No More Heroes 3 with Wii Motion Plus support. I am surprised no one has suggested this. And wrestling moves should be assigned to button presses.

I enjoyed NMH2 but I found it criminally short. The minigames were awesome, though.

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

<- This game in HD with Wii controls?
Or NMH3.
Or Lollipop Chainsaw: Wii U Edition.

Blast

Blast said:

SUDA 51!!!!!!!!!!! BRING YOUR GAMES TO WII U NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zobocop

Zobocop said:

It would probably need to be another No More Heroes title, his other stuff since NMH2 has been pretty awful. I'm still trying to get over my bitterness towards Killer is Dead.

Nomad

Nomad said:

He's absolutely right. Smaller Indie developed games are just as good and as fun as the bigger budget AAA games. I get kind of sick of this mentality by some gamers that the only good games are the mega budgeted, over hyped games with realistic graphics. Seriously, these types of games are becoming more like Hollywood movies.

LUIGITORNADO

LUIGITORNADO said:

I don't understand how this guy is still in business. Don't all of his games sell pitiful amounts?

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@Nomad
Its not just indies, its anything thats not AAA thats suffering. Games have to 'look' like console games these days, and most bigger companies have forgotten how to handle anything thats not AAA. They don't know how to budget, market, or even profit off of smaller games anymore. They'd rather fail on a AAA release than have a modest success. Handhelds were considered a haven for smaller games and even they're having problems getting games.

@Luigitornado
I'd assume their budgets aren't very big, thats the only way it could work. At the very least they're probably small enough that even if the games bomb they won't lose too much, but then they must be making something to be able to keep going.

ToniK

ToniK said:

For some reason I was really disappointed with NMH games. The second one was better but still hardly above average. And I always thought I would love those games :P

Marshi

Marshi said:

Killer 7 hd remake please! Suda51's mad genius mixed with the wiiu gamepad would make an incredible,if niche, game. Imagine the 3rd person exploration on tv, then when going to first person to do the shooting it goes to gyroscoped gamepad play(like metroid blast). I would buy that!

Marshi

Marshi said:

@Conocotarious I hear ya. Killer is dead is awesome but would look so much better on wiiu without the screen tearing and bad anti alising the ps3 version suffered from. Make it happen Suda!

Bliquid

Bliquid said:

I love you, Suda.
Even if Killer is Dead was the "meh"-est of your games.
I'd literally cry of joy for another Killer 7 entry, but the brand is in Capcom's hands, not Grasshopper's.
A NMH new title would do, though. It would actually be reason enough for me to get a WiiU, if not the only reason together with a new Metroid.

Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh said:

No More Heroes 3 is one of those games I've been dreaming of since the Wii U was announced. Suda, don't leave Nintendo please!

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

No More Heroes 3 is the only game I want from Suda 51.. I can't belive they haven't continued that franchise. Love 1 & 2, brilliant games.

Shambo

Shambo said:

Would I like to see No More Heroes 3 on Wii U? NMH2 is one of my favourite games EVER. So was Killer 7. I NEED Suda 51 games of that caliber on Wii U. The once that feel like exploring a whole different mindset. Not just some crazy ideas tagged onto an action game.
Of course, i Liberation Maiden got blown out of proportions, with more variety and levels, mechs, story,... I'd gladly get a new copy!

element187

element187 said:

@Emblem but could you imagine a NMH game with Skyward Sword controls? I'm pretty positive Nintendo would let them use those 1:1 sword play controls. Just thinking about a No More Heroes game with those controls is getting me hyped like no tomorrow for a game that will never come :(

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

Release your games on Nintendo platforms (I really would've liked to play Shadows of the Damned and Killer is Dead) and give us No More Heroes 3. Mainly, NMH3.

CaPPa

CaPPa said:

Suda's games have been great on Nintendo platforms, but everything on 360/PS3 has seemed somewhat lacking. Maybe creating for those platforms gives a different focus or maybe he's lost his independence or maybe he's just getting stale, but whatever it is it just doesn't quite work. I still buy his 360/PS3 games but I wait until they drop to $15 - $20.

Liberation Maiden was pretty good though (just too short/incomplete), so maybe if he made a Wii U game it'd inspire him to get back to his best.

Tender_Cutlet

Tender_Cutlet said:

Just me that didn't like NMH then? Personally I found the inventive boss fights not enough to salvage the monotonous trawls to said bosses and desolate free roaming sections. It reminded me of playing another game back on the Dreamcast called Headhunter - yet this game came out 7 years earlier and was more pleasing to the eye on inferior hardware.

All Suda managed to achieve with NMH was taking a tried formula, combining it with touches of his own art style [developed on titles like Killer 7] and trade out the cliched square-jawed no-BS lawman with Travis Touchdown - a douche bag with a rip off light saber - hardly the foundations of an original IP that so many seem to suggest.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I honestly haven't played any of Suda51's games yet. I think No More Heroes is a little too over the top for me personally.

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

Liberation Maiden was a fantastic little gem! :) Suda is definitely a creative guy.

raith

raith said:

I've love for all his new games to appear on Wii-U. I also wouldn't NMH 1+2 HD collection along side part 3.