Packaged Physical Release of Wii Sports Club May Happen

Posted by Liam Doolan

Might not be an exclusive digital offering

Nintendo is a smart cookie when it comes to milking franchises. Its products, services, and software regularly offer the perfect balance of new and old. The latest example of this is Wii Sports Club – a digital remake of the original Wii Sports in HD, with online play and Miiverse functionality joining MotionPlus controls.

Realising the importance of reaching out to as many consumers as possible, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has used a financial briefing Q & A to speak about the possibility of a packaged physical version of Wii Sports Club, while explaining the decision to do the download route.

For these titles, if we take the ordinary approach of selling the packaged software, the software might not reach its full sales potential, and even when we are able to create something interesting, the games often can just fade away without being noticed by consumers. When we offer our consumers such new play experiences exclusively in a digital format, we intend to have wide flexibility in terms of their prices and ways to market them. With this in mind, as for the software you just mentioned, namely, “Darumeshi Sports Shop,” “Wii Sports Club” and “Pokémon Bank,” we are challenging ourselves with new pricing and sales endeavors. We are hopeful that a wider range of consumers will appreciate these unprecedented offers. Specifically concerning “Wii Sports Club,” we understand that there will be players who will play it almost every day just as they did with its predecessor, “Wii Sports,” while others will only play it when friends visit their home. We are now trying to increase the software’s sales potential by offering two different options for the people who will play it occasionally and those who will play it frequently. I do not deny the possibility that “Wii Sports Club” may become packaged software in the future. However, for the future of Wii U, we have prioritized releasing tennis and bowling by the end of this year.

Iwata believes a digital and physical version of Wii Sports Club could increase overall sales potential, and serve a variety of Wii U users. For now, Nintendo’s current priority is to release HD Bowling and Tennis for the digital version of Wii Sports Club before the end of 2013.

If a physical release of Wii Sports Club sounds like a good idea, show your support in the comments section.

[via nintendo.co.jp]

GazPlant

GazPlant said:

To be honest, I'd be pretty annoyed if I bought the game digitally only to find out in a few months it's a physical release too... But that's probably just me!

FritzFrapp

FritzFrapp said:

Fast forward a couple of months... Walk into a Game or HMV and see retail copies of Wii Sports Club on Wii U priced at £49.99 sitting unsold, right next to copies of Nintendo Selects Wii Sports on Wii priced at £19.99.

DualWielding

DualWielding said:

@wombatkidd

I thought Nintendo going digital for this and Wii Fit U was meant to avoid the inevitable headlines about how they both failed to sell 10% of what their predecessors did.

bouncer0304

bouncer0304 said:

Hate to say it but more than likely it will happen. They need a game to hook people and this will be it. I think though those who bought digitally will be offered something extra. Not sure what but it has to be something otherwise people will be upset.

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

I'm sure it won't be a physical title until ALL the sports are released, so it's a fair way off yet. At least with digital you can pick which sports you want, instead of being forced to pay full price for all of them.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

If they're smart, they'll make up for the retail package forcing purchase of ALL the games by making it cheaper than the full set on the eShop...but then if they were really smart the prices would've been lower in the first place, so I wouldn't count on it. :P

Pod

Pod said:

As I understand it, they wanted the most popular sports ready for download in time for Christmas.

If that means a boxed release isn't ready until sometime next year, I get it. But it's cutting a bit into their principles, I feel.

readypembroke

readypembroke said:

Instead of retail copies only, why not make a Wii U bundle with a Wii Remote and a copy of Wii Sports Club.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Still watered down versions.

They should make them at least as good as the best Wii games in the respective sports.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

A motion controlled version of Mario Golf Toadstool Tour would be brilliant. (If Power Tennis worked properly it would have been really good as well).

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I have always found these titles to be similar in quality to the x in one collections on the 3DS. Nothing to it after no time at all.

Burning_Spear

Burning_Spear said:

I agree with Mr. Iwata's reasoning, but let's be honest about this: The sports are being released incrementally because Nintendo didn't have the time to remake them all for a packaged release. The individualized-marketing idea was attached to it afterward.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

It's surprising to contrast between this and limited digital release of Wii Party U. Presumably they're marketed towards the same audience, so I think the digital release has more to do with the pay-to-play model than market reach, ala Darumeshi Sports Shop.

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

I think in 6 months or so a physical copy could work well, and Nintendo would do well with a bundle also.

dudey300Staff

dudey300 said:

I like the fact that it's digital, more so that you can download each game individually. Out of the 5 games, Tennis would be my favourite, so just downloading that is enough for me. I wouldn't go for the physical copy as I'd barely touch the other sports!

rjejr

rjejr said:

"Nintendo’s current priority is to release HD Bowling and Tennis for the digital version of Wii Sports Club before the end of 2013."

um, doesn't this come out TOMORROW?

I know that tomorrow is technically before the end of 2013 but that seems a weird way to word it.

As for a disc release - well duh. 5 games for $50 next holiday. Though these games really should be $4.99 each and the disc $19.99. That's when I'll buy them, no way I'm paying $9.99 per sport for bowling or tennis unless I am really blown away during the 24 hour trial. I'm glad it has online but we don't know anybody else who has a Wii U yet. Maybe baseball if they make it a full 9 inning game like Sluggers whee you get to pick your own team.

johndevine

johndevine said:

So basically Nintendo have once again left me in the dark wondering what the hell to do.

Im gonna wait for the packaged version methinks.

God, Nintendo are continuously making stupid announcements these days!

marnelljm

marnelljm said:

I have never been a fan of digital releases for full retail-like games (Ducktales: Remastered). I always want a physical copy of it so I can do as I please with it. Until Nintendo changes their online so the games can tied to an account and shared between systems, the only digital releases I will buy are NES games on 3DS and SNES classics such as Chrono Trigger and Secret of Manna on Wii. The price for the physical copies of those games is outrageous, and also the digital release is reliable unlike some NES games and SNES games with old save batteries.

Morph

Morph said:

I fully expected a packaged version of this to be announced once all 5 sports have been released, so that's not an issue. What i wouldnt be happy about is if the digital releases end up costing more than the physical package, i still think nintendo will cut a deal for people whi buy the first 3 or 4 sports to get the other/s free

IxnayontheCK

IxnayontheCK said:

I prefer a packaged release personally. But I'm sure they'll charge $40 - $50 for it which won't fly

Tra_Venous

Tra_Venous said:

I's rather go digital myself, but it makes more sense in having different buy options for everyone.

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

For the financial bottom line, it's a good idea. Most people with a Wii but no Wii U probably don't know about the new Wii Sports, and if they saw a new version of it for Wii U as a physical retail release they'd jump right on it. That along with Mario Kart and Smash Bros. should increase sales.

Yosher

Yosher said:

Okay, great. Now I'll wait for a little while until they announce a retail release!

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

It is OK for me. Since we have a trial period for each sport, then we can decide if we should get the download copy or not, having in mind that the physical version may take a while.

Personally, I would rather pay $30 for three sports I like than $50 for 2 extra sports I may not play.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

In this case digital is the smarter option unless you really want all 5 sports. If you hate at least 2 of them, then you just lost money anyway.

LeVideoGamer

LeVideoGamer said:

Fine, I'll wait. I'd prefer to not have it digitally, and while I'll play Bowling more than anything else, I'd like to have everything. Still not convinced that one sport is worth £9, so I'll wait and hope for a £30 physical release.

Nictendo64

Nictendo64 said:

I'm one of those psychotic monsters that actually likes digital downloads, so I'm pretty excited to have it soon.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

Was hoping that a physical version would be announced I think I'll hold out for a few months and just use the free trials.

tripunktoj

tripunktoj said:

Please do it! I am glad to see them talk about the possibility of a physical version BEFORE they release the digital version (unlike Ducktales Remastered and eShop Cave Story), instead of doing it once I have bought the digital version thinking there will be no retail option. I will only use the free 24 hour trail of each Sport on the digital version while I wait to hear more about (or buy) a retail one. When given the option I always go for the physical version, unless theres an extra Im really interested in or give for free the digital one and its not a big franchise. My only retail downloads so far are Crossword Plus (for the Donkey Kong Original Edition promo), Art Academy 3DS (Got it free registering XL and Luigi's Mansion on Club Nintendo), and Im thinking if I will stick to the digital Wii Fit U or not (Free, since I am getting a black standalone meter, regardless of getting the retail pack or not)

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

I want a physical copy, and will wait it out now. Nintendo needs as many physical games in store as they can get to create appeal in variety. I'd bet on this happening. If they're willing to release NSLU DLC as a physical copy, they'll definitely release this.

Uberchu

Uberchu said:

Will wait for physical copy then. Save space on my Delux Wii U like a cheep sauce!

Terrible_Majesty

Terrible_Majesty said:

hows this? Offer Wii Sports Club for the dicounted price of 20$ for digital early adipters. then 50-60$ for the retail

Uberchu

Uberchu said:

@Terrible_Majesty no its $20 for both launch games, not including tax. As far as I know there is no discounted price just $9.99 for 1 game...

$50 for all.

Might be cheaper if u can get all 5 at once for $50 if Tax is added.