Nintendo Infographic Shows Off Phenomenal Pokémon X & Y Sales Records

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Reached one million U.S. sales in one day

It's likely that anyone with a passing interest in Nintendo will be aware, by now, that Pokémon X & Y have been a major success since launch. The arrival of a new generation on 3DS was preceded by months of barely containable hype, and since hitting stores the two games have been breaking various sales records for the handheld.

Nintendo, unsurprisingly, is delighted to share the good news, and has now done so with a handsome demographic. Reflecting on sales data from U.S. sales alone, it shows that X & Y hit one million sales in the country on their opening day of release, smashing the previous record for a 3DS game — Mario Kart 7 — to hit the landmark. More than two million copies have been sold in the U.S. alone, which is around 1 in 5 system owners in the country; oh, and it's the fastest selling game — counting them as one — in 3DS eShop history.

The power of Pokémon is shown below, in all its glory.

Kuksenkov

Kuksenkov said:

Wow, who wouldn't be proud of these kind of sales?

1 day to sell 1 million copies, 135% up in 3DS sales after the release, and even more awesome things. Pokemon really has incredible drawing power, can't complain about it, the games are awesome.

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

WOOT!!!!!!!!!!! Proud to say I got X on day one!!!! For those still on the fence (really how could you be at this point?!?!) it is seriously the most fun I have ever had with a Pokemon game in ages, it is really that good!!!! Welp time to get out my rocking chair I still remember those days with nutin but good old Pilotwings and Street Fighter to play and listening to people claim that the 3DS was doomed, 3D is a gimmick, smart phones are better and the Vita will sell 10 times as many systems as the 3DS. Heh heh horf Youngins go on back to smartyphone games I'll stick with my cartridge based thingys with that there fancy 3D screen!!!!!!!!

Ecto-1

Ecto-1 said:

I have to say I am a bit surprised that New Super Mario Bros. 2 took 16 weeks to reach the 1 million sold mark. Any way, congratulations Pokemon; those sales figures are well deserved!

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

They always give numbers if they are good if they are not then they give percentages that obscure the truth deliberately. (All companies are the same).

idork99

idork99 said:

The retail power of Pokemon!

And I'm surprised that NSMB2 took sixteen weeks to reach the 1 million mark! Perhaps it's due to the fact that it was released in the Summer and not during the holiday season like SM3DL and MK7. And although it took the latter two titles four and six weeks, respectively, to reach the 1 million barrier, one has to consider that the 3DS install base was very small in Nov/Dec of 2011 compared to Oct 2013.

3DS: a phenomenal system!

Ecto-1

Ecto-1 said:

@unrandomsam I actually enjoyed NSMB2 quite a bit. I actually liked it a bit better than 3D Land to be honest, although I am not sure if I'd rank it above the original NSMB (I loved the first one's more creative boss fights). Ehh... different strokes for different folks.

Yomerodes

Yomerodes said:

@BigDaddysPizza

It is really necessary that in every single amazing 3DS piece of news someone has to damp the mood mentioning the failure that is the Wii U?

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Ecto-1 If they had waited until they had worked out the 60fps. Spent the time playtesting the levels it could have been great. Seems as soon as it is not crashing they just push games out these days.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

(There again if we get a NSMB3 that is better than World and 3 in every way all will be forgiven.) - The Newer mod for NSMBW is the only one I have truly loved in recent times. (Made me certain that I really do like 2D Mario still).

KingofSaiyans

KingofSaiyans said:

This is great news. Now if Nintendo would release a full fledged Pokemon game on the Wii U you would see a spike of biblical proportions in sales.

SockoMario

SockoMario said:

@unrandomsam NSMB2 is the most fun game in the NSMB series IMO. However, I find it to also be the worst. It was just a port of the Wii version...

Artwark

Artwark said:

I've still yet to get this game because I can't trade my pokemon due to me being in India.

But Kudos Game Freak. Now if the Wii U has sales like this...........

Omarsonic9

Omarsonic9 said:

Go 3DS!
Now we just need sales for the Wii U like this..
If Super Mario 3D World doesn't get some sales for Wii U, I'll start to worry..

schizor

schizor said:

It's not just that this game sells well.. It's also incredibly well made. One of the best handheld games to date imo. :-)

Kirk

Kirk said:

@BigDaddysPizza

This is the thing... For all the impressive stats Nintendo can tout about the 3DS/2DS and it's games, these days, there's not a lot of boasting it can do with the Wii U...

Yokodera

Yokodera said:

and people say it is the end for nintendo... and for the people who say WiiU isn't selling good wait for the new super smash bros then the numbers will definitely increase

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

I'm amazed Red and Blue didn't reach a Million sales! It seemed everyone had that game when I was in school : O

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I still need to become one of those millions of people that own either Pokemon X or Y. It is certainly on my wish list for the future. I just have other games I think I'd rather get first.

Gioku

Gioku said:

Shows off the power of Mario and Pokémon! Definitely Nintendo's two most popular franchises, by far. And my favorites, too! :)

Phle

Phle said:

Not very surprised, it's Pokémon after all.

I think it's well deserved, both my boyfriend and I are enjoying X and Y & we both agree that it's better than the generation V games, possibly measurable with generation IV's Platinum. I do miss contests (not to be confused with the dreadful musicals), going for a stroll with my cute Pokémon, making poffins with friends and digging around underground protecting and upgrading my secret base. But X and Y got good things going on.

I just want a Pokédex Pro update. Anyone knows if it's going to happen?

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

I personally contributed to the million first month sales for Gold/Silver, FireRed/LeafGreen, Black/White, and now X/Y. (Also made my Pokémon debut with Yellow Version but only well after the first month.)

Interneto

Interneto said:

Fastest-selling tittle in Nintendo Eshop history?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?! Yeah!

dimi

dimi said:

Well deserved for the best mobile RPG. More than anything i would love a Pokemon yellow remake!