Animal Crossing: New Leaf Passes 6 Million Copies Sold Milestone

Posted by Martin Watts

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon sucks up some impressive sales, too

Nintendo has released new life-to-date global sales figures for its first-party 3DS software library, all of which show that the little 3D-enabled system is attracting a lot of people's attention.

At the top of the list is Animal Crossing: New Leaf, a game which has already amassed a whopping 6.35 million sales, despite only releasing in Japan in November last year and June this year in North America and Europe.

Following in its rather impressive footsteps is Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, which also proved it has legs with 3.13 million copies sold. Nintendo was also keen to mention other sales successes, including the Japan-exclusive Tomadochi Collection (1.63 million units), Mario & Luigi: Dream Team (1.37 million units) and Wii remake Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (1.19 million units).

Official sales figures for Pokémon X & Y have not yet been released, but we wouldn't be surprised if they'd topped even Animal Crossing: New Leaf's astonishing sales come the next sales figure update.

Are you surprised by the success of the titles above?

[via mcvuk.com]

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

Excellent news, the more the merrier! ACNL is one of those games that gets better as more people join in.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Not surprised at all by any of these! I'm assuming these figures have ddownloads as well since its directly from Nintendo. Although I haven't played Animal Crossing in over a month now and don't plan to again for a long time. Well over 200 hours is more then enough. Too many other games need my attention and have been neglected!

shigulicious

shigulicious said:

Great news for Nintendo. What a turn around for the 3DS! I can't wait for my Zelda XL, less than 3 weeks! I preordered it at Best Buy FYI.

Dyl_73

Dyl_73 said:

That's great... However, they had best turn off the in game chat function when playing online just in case someone types a swear word. (Sarcasm)

ChessboardMan

ChessboardMan said:

Slightly off topic as it isn't a Nintendo game, but I wonder what the new Phoenix Wright's sales has been like?

element187

element187 said:

I rented AC:NL on numerous recommendations and hype, and I just couldn't get into it at all. It's really is baffling to me the draw it has. I can see why someone like my wife would love it(she's a FarmVille addict), but for the life of me I can't figure out what the game would offer me. Maybe Rune Factory would be a little more my style? I do love rpg's

Zeargo

Zeargo said:

I understand how great Animal Crossing is, yet I can't seem to understand it completely or even get glued into it. I got New Leaf and it seems a lot better than its predecessors. Although its still good news to hear about. Dark Moon was also a great game to play.

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

Get ready for yearly AC installments! Mwhahaha!
Coming next year.....Animal Crossing U! Featuring Mario because f**k it why not?! Lol

ledreppe

ledreppe said:

Glad to hear Mario & Luigi: Dream Team has made it past 1 million! I was really impressed by that game, considering I couldn't finish the first one and never tried Bowser's inside story, I had doubts if I could get into a third one. Highly recommended to casual RPG fans like me.

When will we start getting digital sales figures? I know a lot of people downloaded ACNL (including myself)!

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

Too bad Nintendo didn't release this as a free download on the App Store with microtransactions to buy bundles of Bells, special tools, and to upgrade your house. Really a shame they're missing the boat on this one... /s

Zodiak13

Zodiak13 said:

@element187 I love AC:NL and consider myself a veteran gamer. Although I love difficult platformers and long tedious RPG's, there is something relaxing about playing AC games. I play it every morning before work, and right before I go to bed usually. I can see how many people wouldn't get into it, heck, I thought it was a silly concept until I played it and got hooked. This is definately my favorite version to date.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@element187

I think that AC, as all those cow clicker games like Farmville, make you an addict with the idea that you cannot leave town unattended, hence forcing you to play every day, even if it is just a few minutes per day. Filling the museum with paintings and insects also appeals to your OCD collector's side.

For me Tom Nook is the perfect embodiment of AC's spirit. Nice with his smiles but shady deep down inside. He does not force you to upgrade and pay your mortgage at regular intervals, but he gets the best of you and you begrudgingly pay while feeling his ominous presence demanding those bells.

I bought it a few months ago but I haven't opened it yet. I know that once I do, a black hole will be unleashed, and it will try to suck all of my spare time.

AdanVC

AdanVC said:

"But... but... Nintendo is doomed!" Ha! Nope! It's awesome to see how the 3DS is developing extremely well in an era where smarthphones and tablets are taking over the world, this gives me hope that we would see the same happening for Wii U soon, it's not impossible. The 3DS is aiming to be one of the best handhelds ever! And it's great that is not even on the middle of it's lifetime cycle so there's still a lot of great games coming for this little console. I just hope to see a brand new 2D Metroid in the future.

Emaan

Emaan said:

"Time to implement the ordinance where everyone pops open a bottle of Champagne"

Well Isabelle, if you insist :*

ledreppe

ledreppe said:

@SilentHunter382

I tried but didn't finish the first one (can't remember the name) and didn't finish Partners in time either, but never tried Bowser's inside story. Hope that clears things up.

rdrunner1178

rdrunner1178 said:

Great! Now let's get a Wii-U version. You can even just port New Leaf over and make it cross-platform play with 3DS.

Windy

Windy said:

Animal Crossing would save the Wii-U. I also think if they would localize Dragon Quest X it would help. I'm not shocked that Animal Crossing has done so well. Its a great game with a lot of depth. I wish Disneys Magic Castle would get a port.