GamePad High Capacity Battery Available Now in Europe

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Comes with a 1-3 week delivery wait in the UK

The 3DS — particularly the standard model — and the Wii U GamePad have something in common: a blinking red light of doom. Nintendo's efforts to maintain manageable prices leads to various compromises, which is common with much technology, and battery life is a common theme of complaint for gamers. Whichever you're playing, it's worth being near a power supply or splashing out on alternative batteries if you're gearing up for long playing sessions.

Of course there are third-party alternatives, but Nintendo has — as promised — released an official and meatier battery in Europe, which reportedly allows up to eight hours of playtime. It's available now on Amazon (£24.99 in the UK and €35.89 in Germany); British gamers have a 1-3 week wait for delivery, while customers in Germany, for example, have 3-4 days to wait before it's available for despatch. Nintendo is listed as the distributor, and with wait times like that may be ordering stock depending on demand. The previously announced Remote Rapid Charging Set is also available to order.

Thankfully Nintendo made it easy to get into the GamePad itself to change the battery, unlike the bad old days of odd proprietary casing on consoles such as the Nintendo 64 — nothing that a screwdriver, a hammer and a lot of violence couldn't solve. We assume this official GamePad battery will come to North America, but it's not available yet.

If you're in Europe, are you tempted to pick one of these up?

[via amazon.co.uk, amazon.de]

9th_Sage

9th_Sage said:

if I got this...in conjunction with my Nyko Power Pak or whatever it's called...hmmm...

AG_Systems

AG_Systems said:

Was tempted to get, but the added weight may be an issue. Read that it is noticeably heavier.

wariosmith

wariosmith said:

for me... i'll pass. I actually think that the wire from the charger to the gamepad is long enough (and light enough once passed the converter block) to be un-noticed.
I can't take the gamepad out of the room that the Wii U is in... so i don't have the luxury of playing in bed.
Nice idea though

ICHIkatakuri

ICHIkatakuri said:

Just ordered mine it's a gaff getting the charging cable out from behind the unit everything is stored on so have been waiting for this :-)

rjejr

rjejr said:

8 hours would be an impressive achievement on the Gamepad.

FYI - changing the battery is easy. I unplugged mine once when the Gamepad froze due to a screen cover being attached wrong. It's not a hack or bulky add-on or anything, it's made to be simply replaced.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

It's rare that I hit the limit, however there have been times when I've wanted a go after my kid has been on the thing and it's really annoying to be ten minutes in and get the light. I will definitely be picking one up.

NbaJunkie

NbaJunkie said:

I get 6 hours of battery life when using my nykko power pack.It does the job but it's bulky and heavy .il buy this as soon as it comes to NA

AcridSkull

AcridSkull said:

Too pricey for me, I'll keep an eye on it for a price drop but I certainly won't be buying one until it's <£15.

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

Ordered mine from Nintendo Australia yesterday and it's actually cheaper here! (Only $35)

beingvasey

beingvasey said:

Not really necessary, but it's nice that a real one is available. NOW GIVE ME AN OEM HARD DRIVE, NINTENDO!!!!

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

Hm, I don't play enough with the gamepad now to really warrant buying this. However, in the coming years I am sure it will come in handy, so if it's released in the US, I may buy it. I feel like this is something they should just give to consumers though, who already own a Wii U. Remember the Wii Remote grips? They just gave them to you if you already had the Wii. With this, I feel we shouldn't have to pay an extra charge when they should of put a higher capacity battery in to begin with. Oh well, glad it's out there at least.

123akis

123akis said:

8 hours of play time is great, but by 8 hours, what screen brightness can last that long?

Reyend

Reyend said:

@SanderEvers ah thx for the info, the price is allright i'd say so might pick it up.
Altho the cable is pretty long i can't lie down on the couch while playing with it attached.

Blue-Thunder

Blue-Thunder said:

I can't help but feel this is another case of Nintendo ripping of the consumer. This should have been fitted in the beginning.

vio

vio said:

@Falco Well, not really... If you look up videos on YouTube of people installing the new battery you will see it's true that, very conveniently, there is a bunch of unused space in the gamepad for the new, larger battery to occupy. Meaning Nintendo obviously planned on this from the beginning. HOWEVER, I don't believe they did this just to suck more money out of us. I believe it was simply a cost cutting measure to keep the price of the console down. That way they can sell us the system for less money upfront and then those who want the larger battery can pay for it later on. Cost cutting measures like this are also the reason Nintendo can now sell the deluxe version of the Wii U for 300 bucks. It was a smart decision IMO.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

What settings does it say it will last that amount of time?

I'm pretty sure I get at least 4 hours on the lowest settings as is.

AdanVC

AdanVC said:

8 hours! well that's a nice improvement of battery life! I would order this once it hits America because sometimes I spend a lot of time just navigating and commenting on Miiverse so I get the red light on the Gamepad very frequently.

Le_Gazman

Le_Gazman said:

Not a bad price but I do grudge paying for it since it should have been in the Gamepad from day one.

CrabGats

CrabGats said:

My Nyko battery has connectivity issues too frequently; when this is released in America, I'm definitely snagging one.

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

@Le_Gazman You can always say that. If they did and they'd release an even more powerful battery pack you would've said the exact same thing.

FishieFish

FishieFish said:

I wouldn't see the point of buying this personally because it has to stay in the house all the time, so you can pretty much charge it anytime too.

cmk8

cmk8 said:

Might get one, will wait to see how easy it is to install though, I'm very bad at DIY...

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

I really need one of these. It seems like everytime I actually WANT to play with the Gamepad it has a low battery. How long will the official replacement stay charged for?

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

@Le_Gazman
You must have it on full blast. I get at least 4 hours on the lowest settings. If it matters to have a longer lasting battery as it is, it's better to just keep the settings low.

It's better to have things the way they are and let consumers seek out a longer lasting battery(or memory device) if they so need or want. There might be people out there that are fine with the battery as-is and can't justify paying another $20 for a Wii U just to have a better battery.

tanookisuit

tanookisuit said:

This best come the states as it would be a crime not to. I've been doing some marathon Wind Waker playing since Friday afternoon and ended up between there and Sunday night doing 12 hours and change on the game (which is rare I do such a thing anymore) and the stupid controller went dead on me twice in that time which was infuriating.

Kirk

Kirk said:

This needs to come bundled with all new Wii U consoles from now on.

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

I have an outlet right next to where I sit to play games and I don't play my 3DS in long enough sesisions so it's not for me but it is a good option for those that need it. Those 3rd party 3ds battery options were horrendous to look at.

elstif

elstif said:

I ordered this and can´t wait to get it.
I was very lucky and got it for 27€ plus shipping (3€) on Amazon they are now selling it for 44€ plus shipping.
they are out of stock so who knows how long I´ll have to wait for it.

Am I the only one who thinks that they should´ve included this as standard?
If I´m buying it now for 27€ it defenitly costs a lot less to produce, if you discount what the low capacity battery costs and included this one as standard it would have been around 10-15€ price increase for the Wii U bundle, which is not that much taking into account everybody with a wii U now has to be "plugged in" all the time to be able to play

MayhemStaff

Mayhem said:

Someone I know has already got one and replaced his battery... waiting to hear how close to the truth about running time the blurb is...

WaxxyOne

WaxxyOne said:

We need facts! How much extra weight does it add to the controller? Does it increase fatigue over long play sessions? How much extra time do you get for using it? If the extra battery hours are enough to counter the added weight, I might pick this up. That said, since the Wii U is not a handheld console, limited gamepad battery life generally doesn't impact me that much. When I'm done playing, it goes right back on its charging cradle, ready to go the next time I get a hankerin' for Zelda or Mario. The only time I've seen the battery light flash has been after all-day gaming session with my family and friends and that hasn't been often or inconvenient enough to warrant this, particularly if it makes the controller twice as heavy.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Still seems pretty bad. (For comparison my Motorola Xoom has an 3250 mAh) and it was released on February 24, 2011. Battery technology is improving.

If Mugen Power make one then it will probably be the best it can be. (Which will call into question why didn't Nintendo do the job properly).

johnvboy

johnvboy said:

WaxxyOne,

I have just installed the French version this morning,the battery is exactly the same in all regions,I paid 30 euros in total including delivery.

The battery adds no discernible weight difference over the gamepad with the stock battery fitted,I think people convince themselves that their is a difference,if you fitted this battery to somebody's existing gamepad without them knowing,I doubt they would be able to spot anything had changed.

On the very top brightness setting you will get around 2.5-3 hours out of the standard battery,the extended one will give you 5-6 hours gameplay.

If you have the gamepad brightness set to 3 out of 5 like mine you will get closer to 8 hours.

Overall I am very happy with this new addition for my Wii U. :)