Video: The New Shantae And The Pirate's Curse Trailer Shows That Pixels Are Gorgeous

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Prepare yourselves, 3DS gamers

Update:

Nintendo UK has published a video interview with Matt Bozon and Voldi Way of WayForward; they explain more about the game, stating that it's more "guided" but with scope for exploration, while also outlining the general plot. Bozon does drop a spoiler from the ending of Shantae: Risky's Revenge, so bear that in mind.

Original Article:

When WayForward launched its Kickstarter campaign for Shantae: Half-Genie Hero, some early responses to the news were concerns that the HD release would interfere with 3DS eShop exclusive Shantae And The Pirate's Curse, which is due this year. Perhaps aware that some would draw that conclusion, WayForward has now released a shiny new trailer for the 3DS title, and it looks rather good.

After the smooth lines and crisp textures of the crowdfunded title's pitch video, this reminds us somewhat of the series' heritage on handheld devices. While we can look forward to autostereoscopic 3D and more detailed visuals, this third entry in the series will nevertheless be pixel based; as titles such as Mario & Luigi: Dream Team and fellow download release Mutant Mudds show, the retro approach can sure be attractive.

Check the trailer out below and let us know what you think.

[via youtube.com, gonintendo.com]

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

With this and Half-Genie Hero on its way to being in the works, it's nice to see this series expand. Can't wait!

odd69

odd69 said:

Looks great!! More excited about the kickstarter game they are making so i can play Shantae on big screen, finally.

idork99

idork99 said:

Awesome!!!

It's settled! It's a Shantae weekend! I just started the GBC original and I'll restart Risky's Revenge!

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

It's been a while since we heard from this game. It looks pretty nice. I'll be getting into the original Shantae soon enough and finish Risky's Revenge by the time this or Half-Genie Hero releases.

Jeyl

Jeyl said:

I hope they include the option to change the control settings. I just couldn't get used to the controls on the DSi version.

Kirk

Kirk said:

This game's artwork looks more appealing than the Wii U game in my opinion.

I wish they'd go with the same style they have here on the 3DS version, such as the character art when the dialogue boxes appear, and use that for the Wii U version. I just think that would look so much better than the flat colored, Flash, chibi look the Wii U version has right now.

It's strange that a lot of games companies really don't quite know how to realize their great 16bit style pixel artwork in full HD resolution when trying to put their games on these next-gen consoles for some reason. It's not that difficult to match the same look, style and feel of classic 16bit artwork but just in higher res, as demonstrated by the actual character art during dialogue, which would look great for the Wii U version's in-game characters and certainly better than what they're currently going for on Wii U in my opinion.

This looks really nice however.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I pledged for the Wii U game, and I have never played a Shantae game. I need to get into that.

@ThomasBW84

Thanks for the spoiler alert. Skipping the interview then.

Kirk

Kirk said:

@RainbowGazelle

I like the 3DS artstyle and look to be honest, as I have no issue with the whole anime look personally (in fact I actually like anime/Manga for the most part), but I'm not loving the Wii U version's artwork.

This 3DS game is looking pretty cool to me.

Hopefully the developers get some feedback from the Wii U Kickstarter backers and tweak that version accordingly.

RainbowGazelle

RainbowGazelle said:

@Kirk I do like anime and manga as well, it's just that's not the style of Shantae in the previous game. I have nothing against anime at all, but it's just not the same Shantae.

Toodles

Toodles said:

Yeah, the character portraits don't look to be nearly as appealing as the ones from Risky's Revenge. I'm rather surprised they changed, actually, given how most of the rest of the visuals look to be either pulled directly from Risky's Revenge, or at least drawn in the same style. Still, I'm super excited about this. Love the other two games, so I'm not going to complain about getting another!

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Awesome! About time we got some feedback on it!

@Kirk I wholeheartedly agree, man! The WiiU version looks too chibi, and Shantae also lost her tan.
But her nightgown style is so freakin' adorable! (hence my new ava)

citizenerased

citizenerased said:

They're definitely adding the tan in the Wii U game, 90% of backers have voiced their complaints already.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I hope it is as long and difficult as the first one.

(That is what things should be compared against as its available now.)

WYLD-WOO

WYLD-WOO said:

This is going to be a special game, I can just feel it. Nice one Nintendolife for the trailer with gameplay and of course the article.

FX29

FX29 said:

Shantae: Risky's Revenge was a pretty fun game, I'll probably check this out as well.

Yasume

Yasume said:

It looks pretty much identical to Risky's Revenge visually, but that's not a bad thing.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Apart from the beautiful pixel art though, the Shantae series isn't anything that special imo (I see the text boxes still stand out as being ugly though >.<). Here's hoping this one is better in every other way.

Kirk

Kirk said:

@RainbowGazelle

Strange because I think she looks very similar in the original GBC version to how she does in Risky's Revenge on 3DS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPExkCFzuO4 (00:00:41)

I guess there is a bit of a difference but in Risky's Revenge she's certainly closer to the original style, both of which I still think have an anime/Manga look to them in general, than how she looks in the Wii U version at least:

I see what you mean though, and if she looked exactly like the original style on the Wii U but in HD I think that would look better than what they have now too.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

To do pixel art better you need to just look at Saturn and Neo Geo pixel art.

(And ideally try and be even better than that).

What makes it better is more frames and layers.

But it is much more effort. (Something people don't seem to like these days).

Incidentally if you look at Gunlord that was done with very few resources so there are no excuses for anybody other than the very smallest developers.

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

Looking forward to this! Want to focus on finishing Shantae (GBC) until this comes out. This will probably be my next eShop purchase.

ZeroxGT

ZeroxGT said:

Skye...looked pretty ht there....

anywho... this game looks amazing!! and now it has a freakin super Metroid vibe to it!

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

This looks great! I held out on the Shantae series until I could start at the beginning. Bought the first one on 3DS VC and am pleasantly surprised at how good it is, and it keeps getting better and better the further I get into it. Next I'll get Risky's Revenge on DSi, and so forth.

Can anyone confirm that Shantae Advance turned into Risky's Revenge?

NImH

NImH said:

I'll be that guy on this one... I really think the art style is getting much better. Far more polish and flair. Not mad at all with the evolution of the style.

RainbowGazelle

RainbowGazelle said:

@Kirk I agree that Risky's Revenge looks like the original. I was saying that it's Pirate's Curse (the new 3ds one) that looks too anime-y and unlike the first two.

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

We don't have a specific release date for this one, do we? Not sure if I should just get Risky's Revenge while we wait, or hold out just a bit longer and work in reverse (that is, finishing with the original).