New Super Mario Bros. 2 Coin Total Passes One Trillion

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Golly gosh

When it comes to New Super Mario Bros. 2 it really is all about the money (money, money). Mario and Luigi collect a ridiculous number of coins, so much so that the game keeps a tally of your total and adds it to a worldwide pot; the last time we reported on it 300 billion coins had been snagged. Those kind of numbers are so 2012, however, as the total has now passed one trillion.

That's a lot of coins, and when the 300 billion mark was hit we received a free DLC Coin Rush pack. Will Nintendo give us anything this time around, or has it moved on and forgotten about its gold-themed platformer? We'll see soon enough.

The tally continued to refresh and increase as we typed these very words, showing that plenty of people are still enjoying this title worldwide. If Nintendo was willing to give us more classic levels as Coin Rush stages, we'd certainly see that as a good enough reason to dig the game out for another whirl.

[via newsupermariobros2.nintendo.com]

MJKOP

MJKOP said:

Funny I intend to download a couple more packs today actually, think they're reduced from the 15th? Some free dlc would be much appreciated though Nintendo!

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Well they did temporarily cheapen the price of NSMB2 DLC maybe that's the 1 trillion coins celebration? In any case, awesome work everybody :-D I'm still only around 300,000 but I'll get to 1 million one day. I also have to find all the star coins too.

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

This one had to be my least played New Super Mario Bros. Of course I still have them all, but I just didn't play this one much. It was good, but not quite like the others. I quit worrying about getting 1,000,000 after I found out what the reward was.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

This game is so underrated. Yeah, it's nothing absurdly innovative, but collecting all those coins is so much fun!

Personally, I got way more fun (and about double the playing time) from this than from Super Mario 3D Land.

Pichuka97

Pichuka97 said:

I know this probably isn't possible in this game because of the way it was programed but I would love to see another world added into this game. I still play this often even though I am well past the 1 million coin mark.

LuigiIsAwesome

LuigiIsAwesome said:

Wow.... that's a lot..... and this game has been out for almost a year!!! A perfect anniversary for this game!!! :D

DefHalan

DefHalan said:

I own this game but haven't played it yet... I wonder how high the coin count will be at the end of the 3DS lifecycle (if it ever ends)

Haywired

Haywired said:

@Joshers744
Throughout the game I was always like "I'm assuming all this coin collecting is going to become important or relevant to the game at some point right?" But it never came... Plus even after full completion, I was so far off 1 million it seemed utterly pointless to try (especially when I found out what the reward was).

Klimbatize

Klimbatize said:

I'm a little over 8 million, so I'm about two million coins away from the maxing out. The Coin Rush mode added a lot of playtime for me; beating the totals I get from Streetpassing is still fun to me.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

So far this is the only main Mario I have never player or owned. Having released so close to NSMBU meant I had to choose one so I would not get NSMB overload.

And now with NSLU being released, it means that I won't get this one anytime soon.

Shworange

Shworange said:

I still dig it out from time to time to best the Streetpass records. Other than that I feel like I've played the hell out of it. I beat the game with all shiny stars and my Streetpass record stands at a maxed out 30,000 coins. I have only 650,000ish coins. I really don't see the need to get to one million.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

Haven't played this game in so long. Don't really have much incentive to tbh.

MJKOP

MJKOP said:

I was so gutted when I got my 'reward' for reaching one million coins lol.

MaximusMansteel

MaximusMansteel said:

I enjoyed this game more than most seemed to. I suppose its because I've always been big on collecting as many coins as I can in Mario platformers, so this played right into that. Perhaps I'll take a break from Dream Team for a couple days and revisit this in celebration.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Only levels I have liked in any of the New Super Mario Bros games were not made by Nintendo. Dunno that they will ever be able to do something similar for this sadly.

http://newerteam.com - More like a spiritual successor to Mario World (Loads of secret levels - switch palaces etc etc). Needs a legit copy of the Wii Game to work using something called riivolution. (Really simple process and reafirmed for me that I do still like player Super Mario Bros not just older ones due to nostalgia).

Total waste of money for me this was. (Cannot believe they sacrificed 60hz for the 3D gimmick). Hopefully they make a 3DS New Super Mario Bros 3 (That is universally better than NES Super Mario Bros 3).

Skeet102

Skeet102 said:

if that was usd. you would still have to multiply it by 17 to pay our us debt. isn't that amazing!

danthebro

danthebro said:

is it me or did new super mario bros 2 and super mario 3d land both suck? i played them both...

jarreboum

jarreboum said:

That's 1×10¹² or one thousand billions or one million millions.
1,000,000,000,000.
If this was uk pound coins, a pile of those would measure 8.2 times the distance from earth to the moon and weigh 10 million tons, which is the estimated weight of one year's worth of dog poop in the USA.

Birthday_Boy

Birthday_Boy said:

I believe I contributed over 2,500,000 coins.
The One year anniversary is coming up too.
I think this game doesn't get enough credit, for what it does.

Pachterkid

Pachterkid said:

Pretty sure I haven't played this game once since I reached the 1 million coin mark...

Pod

Pod said:

Thassa lotta coins.

That makes a million coins from a million players! (that probably isn't how the distribution goes.)

Main series Mario used to be something I wouldn't allow myself to miss out on, but now both NSMB2, NSMBU, and Super Mario 3D Land have whizzed past me.

Hopefully they'll think long and hard about what Mario Games they greenlight the next couple years.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

@C-Olimar

can't blame ya, it's the worst(the DS original was better for it's time and was the first 'New' SMB) 2D console mario in the entire franchise. it shouldn't of been made, talk about an unecessary sequal! :p

RawkHawk013

RawkHawk013 said:

this game is underrated as others have stated above, the coin collecting was fun as well as the game. But the prize was definitely disappointing to say the least. Oh well! Now that they're have been 5 New Super Mario Bros. so it is time to move on to another series!

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

I've contributed 2 million.

Yes, it's underrated. Collecting coins is fun, and Coin Rush is even more fun. I bought all the packs and still haven't finished the impossible pack without white raccoon Mario.