Hideki Konno Delves Into Mario Kart 8

Posted by Andy Green

"It's going to be the definitive Mario Kart"

Earlier today Nintendo showed off some of its next Mario Kart title for the very first time during its E3 Nintendo Direct presentation.

It's appropriately called Mario Kart 8 and in a developer interview Hideki Konno had delved into the making of the game as well as some of its features.

The main thing we're sure everyone's noticed with this new iteration is the inclusion of anti-gravity karts. Konno said this was a progression from Mario Kart 7 where the karts would glide and go under water. Eagle-eyed Nintendo fans will have noticed Mario Kart 8 features underwater and airborne segments too and now players will be able to drive on the walls and ceilings thanks to the anti-gravity modification.

Konno also explored the naming of the game itself. Of course, this is the eighth title in the series but there's also another reason - the tracks themselves. He explained the concept of a mobius strip - the creation of a spiraling track that looks much like a figure of eight from above. This made the naming of the game obvious for the studio.

Mario Kart Wii brought with it some of the best online multiplayer ever seen and it has been confirmed up to 12 karts can race at any one time in both local and online play. When online, players can host tournaments, set rules and of course race their friends in the community. The Miiverse also plays its part and gamers can communicate with others in the designated communities.

You'll also be able to record and post your races onto the newly announced Mario Kart TV so people can see your triumphant victories and your crushing losses.

Once a race has finished, you'll be able to view a 30 second long highlight reel, which shows off key moments in the race - we imagine plenty of blue shells will make appearances here!

As for controllers, the game can be played as you would expect - with either the Wii Remote and Nunchuk or the GamePad. Naturally, the classic Wii Wheel method will be supported too.

Obviously, Mario Kart 8 is the first time the series has ventured into High Definition and it certainly shows looking at the footage Nintendo revealed earlier today. The game will also run at 60 frames per second and Konno confirmed the developer is now hard at work making it stay that way in two player mode.

Konno describes Mario Kart 8 as the "definitive Mario Kart". What do you think? Let us know by leaving a comment below.

BenAV

BenAV said:

It's looking pretty good, but I'm not so keen on bikes making a return.
Hopefully it'll all feel a lot more balanced than it did in Mario Kart Wii.
Generally I find that each Mario Kart game is usually an improvement on the last so fingers crossed it's the same here, because I really like Mario Kart 7.

Yoshis_VGM

Yoshis_VGM said:

This will definitely be the definitive Mario Kart. I can already tell!!

My only worry is that they'll force me to use bikes in order to complete 100cc mode, like they did in Mario Kart Wii. I'm not really a fan of the bikes.

Other than that, I'm extremely excited...the graphics look AMAZING...I'm actually finding it hard to believe that this is a MARIO KART game. I'm also glad to see Music Park and Piranha Plant Slide make a return, they were two of my favorite Mario Kart 7 tracks.

Spring 2014 couldn't come any sooner! Until that day comes, I'll be playing Super Mario 3D World, another game that looks really good!

nomeacuerdo

nomeacuerdo said:

I'm wondering who'll be new on this game. I would bet on Nabbit. Also, the Koopalings would be awesome.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I was really disappointed when this first came on, butt II've since decided the 240p buffering stream made a mess of things. I didnt see any hovercrafts people keep talking about.
I'm a big Escher fan, and the Mobius loop 8 was a great design choice, so we'll see how it turns out.

aesupreme1

aesupreme1 said:

Even though this wasn't my most anticipated game from Nintendo, this was the one that stood out among the games. The hover racing is an awesome new addition, and will make tracks within the game more unique. Also, this game seemed to be one of the games that showed off the power of the Wii U when comparing it to Mario Kart Wii.

SkywardCrowbar

SkywardCrowbar said:

The gravity effects sound fascinating... This is the only thing of the entire presentation that was SPOT ON. I don't see how anyone could complain about this one.

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

This looks like the best Mario Kart to date... and up to now I still say that Mario Kart DD is (OI! My opinion!) although it is definitely a hard franchise to rate! I just wish I didn't have to wait so long!

ChrisT99

ChrisT99 said:

I want the Pro Contoller to be supported, then I would have no problem going from playing Mario Kart on Wii U to playing it on 3DS.

Cranky

Cranky said:

Looks like it, peach is on a dirt bike. I'm happy they are back, I loved the 'out' drifting.

datamonkey

datamonkey said:

If it's going to be the "definitive" Mario Kart then I hope they have turned off or toned down the rubber-banding as it ruins MK for me... The best MK was Super Mario Kart as it didn't cheat!

idork99

idork99 said:

TWELVE RACERS!! AGAIN!!!

They should not had named it Mario Kart 8 but rather MARIO KART PARTY!

I loved everything I saw in the footage! I was so excited until I heard that they were going back to twelve racers. This is the reason why the Wii was one of my least favorite Mario Karts! It just felt that the races were based too much on probability than skill! More racers, more weapons, more chaos, more annoying blue shells! I don't mind a little probability and chaos but I feel that too much intervenes with a racer's skills.

I know I'm ranting here but this was the game I was really looking forward to seeing. Knowing this has diminished my (current) interest in purchasing a Wii U :( (I know I'll eventually pick one up when the right game comes. And hopefully the system is selling at a better price by then :).)

Emaan

Emaan said:

It certainly looks like the definitive Mario Kart, well done Nintendo~

SwimyGreen

SwimyGreen said:

Surprisingly, this was the most exciting thing to come out of the Direct (except maybe for X). The anti-gravity looks really fun to play with and the course design looks great. In addition, it was the most visually impressive game and seems to hae many advanced lighting effects. This is not going to be Mario Kart Wii 2 (that's a good thing).

shinesprite

shinesprite said:

I'm actually more excited about this than the new Smash Bros!!! I really wish I could try it out. :(

Anti-gravity is really awesome, but I think they should add support for Pro Controller users.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

It obviously looks like the best Mario Kart to me. Just look at it! The graphics are gorgeous, the elements from Mario Kart Wii and 7 seem to blend nicely, and the anti-gravity tracks will make for some excitement like never before.

And since the bikes are back, I want to see Wario on his Wario Bike from WarioWare again.

Kirk

Kirk said:

I think it was one of the all-round strongest titles in the Nintendo Direct that's for sure.

GamecubeMan

GamecubeMan said:

This looks really good. Has the potential to be the best Mario Kart of all time in my oppinion. :O

Gallimastro

Gallimastro said:

Liking the mobius strip idea, this game may be a great tide-me-over until a good FZero comes out. Or Captain Falcon is a secret character, haha.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

How are we supposed to play 12 local? My guess is that 3DS is making the jump or something... 2 Gamepads, 4 other controllers, or any of those controllers substituted by 3DS consoles.

Super-Mario-Fan

Super-Mario-Fan said:

This seems like the best Mario Kart yet :)
It looks amazing!!!
And I'm very glad they brought back the bikes :3

Gioku

Gioku said:

Mobius strip racetracks. Oh Nintendo, what'll you come up with next! I can always count on you to come up with something new and amazing! :D

Sgt_Ludby

Sgt_Ludby said:

Anyone know if you can play split screen online again? I'm sure it's an option; it'd be a terrible thing to remove that feature!

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

Give me the double dash carts, then it'll really be definite.
The graphics looks gorgeous BTW. 60 fps is pretty sweet too.

SomeBitTripFan

SomeBitTripFan said:

I have one thing to say.

Riding on walls, Mobius Strips, it has already been done. I'm still looking forward to this game nonetheless.

@SpriteKing :

One more aware gamer.

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

It definitely does look good,
but I don't understand the underwater sections. Do they add/change anything gameplay wise, or are they just visual gimmicks? Does the same go for antigravity? Is it just visual, or does it change the driving mechanics in some way?

Monkeyofthefunk

Monkeyofthefunk said:

If this game came out this year Nintendo would shift millions more consoles. I can't wait for it's release, MK has been my favourite game series ever and it looks like it will be for many years to come. Let's hope Mario 3D, Wonderful 101 etc are enough to shift consoles so Nintendo can make enough money to keep producing great games.

CowLaunch

CowLaunch said:

Looks too much like the Wii version to me, very wide tracks again.

And the return of Toadette!

GreatPlayer

GreatPlayer said:

Nintendo says it is the most definitive mario kart. What I saw is improvement in graphics and anti-gravity effect - nothing more. Nintendo needs to be more innovative than that. The current game turns out to be very similar to the previous mario kart games, which are not very different from each other anyway since the mario kart in GBA. I like Mario games but I am not a Mario fan, and thus I look at the actual gameplay rather than just the mascots. I hope Nintendo can be more innovative and perhaps learn from Sonic & Sega Racing Transformed - allowing racing not only with karts (land), but also with boats (sea) and planes (sky).

I agreed with some other readers here - Mario Kart games need more innovation. Nintendo and Sega should make the next game - Mario & Sonic Racing Transformed. Who vote for it?

Burning_Spear

Burning_Spear said:

I only saw the footage from the Direct, but it looked pretty much like a continuation of Mario Kart 7 — the same way 3D World looked like a continuation of 3D Land. Nintendo used to be notable for changing things up and providing fresh takes on its franchises, but it seems like that has been lost on the Mario franchises of late. This, NSMB, and 3D Land all seem like "best of" collections, rather than new material. I hope I feel otherwise when I eventually play the game.

Mizzah_Tee

Mizzah_Tee said:

@GreatPlayer "Nintendo says it is the most definitive mario kart. What I saw is improvement in graphics and anti-gravity effect - nothing more."
What? Mario Kart TV?

GreatPlayer

GreatPlayer said:

@SomeBitTripFan I did not know why critics were so harsh on Sonic Riders series but when it came out I loved that game. Maybe Mario Kart 8 should learn from it by having boss fight. Think about it - fighting Browser while riding karts together with a friend. How cool is that?

@siddyp00h Spending $60 or even purchasing a new console to buy a game just because of Mario Kart TV? Where does the "definitiveness" of Mario Kart 8 come from?

Gen0neD

Gen0neD said:

Please, for the love of all that is good and holy, put Petey Piranha back in the game!