The Darksiders Series Looks To Be Over

Posted by Andy Green

Sometimes all good things must come to an end

A few weeks back THQ sold off its assets to the highest bidders. This lead to various THQ studios finding new homes; THQ Montreal for example is now a part of Ubisoft and Relic, the developer of Company of Heroes is now a branch of SEGA. However not all development studios found a new home, and as they disappear into the ether so too do their IPs.

One such series that is looking to be at its end is Darksiders. Developed by Vigil Games, the series managed to get just a couple of games out into the shops, Darksiders, which was available on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC, and Darksiders II which made it over to Wii U as well.

Although many of Vigil's staff now work at Crytek, the series appears to have been left behind. Responding to a tweet from Rovio Entertainment's creative director Patrick Liu, Darksider's lead designer Haydn Dalton said the following:

It looks as though Darksiders II will be the last we see of the series, which is a shame as the series appeared to be going from strength to strength.

Will you miss the Darksiders franchise? Let us know by posting a comment below.

[via videogamer.com]

sgotsch

sgotsch said:

No darksiders Screenshots in Miiverse, and no updates to fix the glitches then?

OverturePT

OverturePT said:

Bah... I was a big fan of the series. Loved the idea of playing a horseman of the apocalypse as well. Oh well, it was good while it lasted, but it's always sad to see a franchise die like this. Anyway, good job on the games, Vigil.

Nintendaholic

Nintendaholic said:

as im still only about half way through the second game, is still have a little bit more to enjoy

Bobhobob

Bobhobob said:

Damn, it's a shame to see such a quality series in the days of FPS end. Oh well.

jkgatling

jkgatling said:

im fine with it ending, quit while you are on top, rather have just darksiders 2 that's awesome and leaving it at that

piggyinafair

piggyinafair said:

Not after that hot mess they released for wii u. I was extremely let down with all the glitches and lock ups :(

AbeVigoda

AbeVigoda said:

I considered buying this but I heard a lot of complaints about glitches so I took a pass

cornishlee

cornishlee said:

Why would Crytek publish it? They employed several former Vigil staff, they didn't buy the studio or any of its IPs. This seems like a bit of a non-news story to me.

MadJay1664

MadJay1664 said:

No way man I love Darksiders! If you developers know what's good for you then you'll make a third game, and it'll be co-op!! You get me!?! And maybe Wii U exclusive ;)

MadJay1664

MadJay1664 said:

You lot can shut up about glitches! I only ever encountered 1 glitch and I shouldn't of been there anyway!!

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

I wonder why no one picked the series up...
Its a shame to see it ending.

So now that no one bought the franchise, what will happen with it at the end?

Chriiis

Chriiis said:

In a way, this kind of makes me glad that I hadn't had the time to play it as much. I still have a ways to go, but I'll know to enjoy it even more than I do now!

About the whole glitch thing, I've only come across one tiny one and that was because I was fooling around at that specific point. This is just...wrong. :/

Weird and a little funny how the series is possibly ending with Death though...

Peach64

Peach64 said:

Great games, but it's better this way. It's just like movies, where I think once something becomes a franchise, it diminishes the appeal for me. It's even a little annoying how Nintendo do it with Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby etc. I'd love to see them actually try a totally new character and setting for their next 3D platformer or adventure.

Highwinter

Highwinter said:

The second game was hugely disappointing, but there was a lot of potential. They were obviously building up to a large co-op game with all four horsemen and it's a shame that will never happen.

randomlypikachu

randomlypikachu said:

well this is sad, i barly get into this series and now i hear that its over. :( sigh aw well. as far as glitches though, i only encountered one that sent me halfway through the ground while i was on horseback x-x couldnt get out, other than that i havent dealt with anymore.

seronja

seronja said:

yes i'm very sad to see no more darksiders, it could end with 2 more sequels, and end playing as all 4 horsmen of apocalypse

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Well I never played any of the games, I was interested but on hearing the news that the series wont be finished, these games will just go to the back of the line for me. Hopefully someone will pick up the IP and finish off the series.

Will-75

Will-75 said:

I have Darksiders 2 and I never encountered glitches either its sad to see such a promising series come to an early end in a time when there are so many crappy titles out there that will get even crapper sequels , I can't believe someone was not smart enough to get this series - Maybe Nintendo ?

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

We will see if it disappears or not. And even if someone owns it does not mean it will be continued. As far as I know, Shenmue still has an owner.

Kosmo

Kosmo said:

Not to be a troll, but I never liked that series. It didn't know if it wanted to be Zelda or God of War and just failed miserably at both in my opinion. So, it's not going to make me sad.

WanderingPB

WanderingPB said:

This very sad Darksiders2 is a great game and i feel very lucky i got it on the WiiU…i truly hope that down the line someone will bring it back til then thank u to the Vigil Team for making such an incredible world that i'll always remember

AugustusOxy

AugustusOxy said:

Platinum was going to buy the property but they wanted too damn much for it. They deserve it for being greedy.

Shanksta

Shanksta said:

How can life get worse. First, NintendoPower and now this. This is the WORST six months EVER!

Eien1239

Eien1239 said:

The gameplay and the first world was the only good thing about the game. I was so burned by the lack of design towards the end.

Eien1239

Eien1239 said:

@Will-75 I experienced the most locks making it impossible for me to get all the shards. and it froze on the last boss :/

Eien1239

Eien1239 said:

@Peach64 You know nintendo is trapped by their own franchises. I agree slight even though most of the games seems different. and please don't used NSMB it's a tied argument.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

This makes me sick to my stomach. I blame dipsh*t consumers but more so I blame gutless publishers.

Picola

Picola said:

Darksiders 2 was a great game on the Wii u, a thoroughly epic adventure. Death was a joy to behold...

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

How does Saint's Row get picked up, yet Darksiders is left to rot?

Why are people with money always so goddamned stupid?

CharbroiledEwok

CharbroiledEwok said:

There were two prequel novels published, along with a graphic novel - why the hell would anyone let this franchise fade away?! :(

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

Glitches? I'm three quarters of the way through the game and other than a bit of screen tearing (which was present in the PS360 versions) I've had no issues?

What have people been encountering?

Dogpigfish

Dogpigfish said:

I've seen contrary news, but they don't need the franchise to thrive. They have a highly talented art style and gameplay model, so the series isn't over. It will just be masked under a different name. Too much talent from this group at crytrek, can't wait to see what they come up with next.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Rip Darksiders franchise! I even didn't get the chance to try you! Hopefully when I have a Wii u I still can obtain Darksiders 2 in some way, but I won't hold my breath!

It's a pity: Zelda-like game, that must be something for me!