Rumour: Aliens: Colonial Marines Tester Says Wii U Version Is "The Worst"

Posted by Damien McFerran

"It is a bit of a joke"

One of the worst things about the internet is that people can post things with very little proof and others will gleefully report it as fact. So please, as you read and digest the following item of news, be aware that we're treating it as a rumour for the time being.

A Reddit poster by the name of “soetester” (Sega of Europe Tester) recently posted information about his/her experience with Aliens: Colonial Marines, and was asked about the Wii U version — which has previously been spoken about in glowing terms by its developers. The response is not encouraging:

Oh wow. Yes okay. I was hoping someone would ask this. I have played the WiiU version. The one that is supposedly the best of all of them? It is not. It is the worst. It is a bit of a joke. The WiiU is basically the same game as the console version but with framerate issues, worse texture loading, and horrendously misguided minigames thrown in. You get a ‘scanner’ to scan enemies and get bonus points that aid your harming them. When you cut open doors (which happens a lot in the game) you have a game where you have to keep the heat ‘optimal’. They just add frustration, and take away even more from the fun. We don’t know if it will come out, Sega are conisdering canceling it, but right now its still going.

Before you get too depressed, it's worth pointing out that since those comments were posted, soetester has deleted his/her account on Reddit. This could mean several things; the poster was talking rubbish and trolling Sega fans and Wii U owners, or perhaps they were telling the truth and their employers managed to confirm their identity and take action against them for breach of contract. Reddit's mods were apparently satisfied that the poster was telling the truth, but it's hard to be 100% sure when it comes to verifying things like this on the web.

At the time of writing no one really knows what to believe, so take this with a pinch of salt — but we've previously heard rumours of Sega cancelling the game (which were quickly denied), so this individual could be legit.

What do you think? Will you still be picking up the Wii U version of Aliens: Colonial Marines when it eventually launches, or has the negative publicity put you off?

[via gonintendo.com, dsogaming.com]

Crouteru

Crouteru said:

I was put off buying Colonial Marines even before the other console reviews came out. The gameplay trailers looked terrible compared to those from the previous year. It was obvious Gearbox dropped the ball on this one, and I highly doubt the Wii U version could be any better.

Reala

Reala said:

From what I've read no version was exactly good it seems, haven't seen any reviews that where above average at best, so whether its the best or worst version of an apparently pretty mediocre game doesn't seem that relevant.

craigmoss19

craigmoss19 said:

I was never interested in this game anyway, so I wouldn't actually care if the Wii U version turns out to be the worst version of a rubbish game.

DePapier

DePapier said:

Wasn't interested before, and any lack of information directly sent by SEGA and the developers might prove him right. At this point in time, I won't invest in third-parties would do not do their homework, if I ever get interested in them; Criterion is happily an exception.

HorseLoverFat

HorseLoverFat said:

Oh man, was really looking forward to this. Canceled my pre-order after I read the reviews for the other platforms. Gerneral opinion seemed to be that it was a very poor game in some of the basic things, so I don't hold out much hope of them doing anything special with what the Wii U offers.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

No big loss. I don't understand how people keep screwing up Aliens games.

fluggy

fluggy said:

Don't know why they would even contemplate releasing this now. Its so bad on ps3 its embarrassing and all they're gonna get is another well deserved slagging. Wish devs would get some integrity and commit to play testing and quality control, if its crap - don't release it. . . failing that, release it for a tenner, which is approx 7 pounds more than I'd pay for it!! Waste of time!

EaZy_T

EaZy_T said:

This game was one of the launch titles that helped me decide to get a Wii U, but all the reviews and delays have made me lose interest in it...

Ducutzu

Ducutzu said:

Sounds fishy - if only because, as a game tester, one would generally be more relaxed about games. This guy wrote more like an angry fan.

DrSlump

DrSlump said:

I don't have a game to play with my wii u. And seems like i will not have a game to play for a long time..

AddDavey

AddDavey said:

I'm going to wait until reviews for it come out, if their like the current ones then I might pick it up when it drops in price

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

Like I said in the previous article, there's a good chance Demiurge could do this better than Gearbox.

A post from a Reddit forum of all places isn't exactly trustworthy.

bahooney

bahooney said:

@Shiryu One can only hope. This also looks bad on Sega's part. I will never understand why people release straight-up bad games.

Scollurio

Scollurio said:

Well no matter if you like the franchise/type of game or not, this is horrible, because it is ANOTHER lackluster game for the Wii U, which could have been really good.

And no this will definitely be not the end of gearbox. They are going strong and their Borderlands franchise is popular as hot chocolate. Good games too!

And @bahooney even if some devs/publishers f-up at times, you should never wish them to fail and go down the drain. It's people working their, losing their jobs, needing to feed their families who most likely cannot argue with a management decisions above their heads, besides, the LESS devs the WORSE it will become because in the end there will only be activision nintendo microsoft game studios and ea with their respective studios. I don't get how anyone could wish for LESS diversity.

YES I also don't get why they f-up such a wonderful license like ALIENS but still...

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

This is not surprising! I'm just glad that all the versions sucked and it wasn't a Wii U specific issue. It's amazing that a game in development for nearly 10 years can end up being so bad. I doubt Sega were totally in the dark regarding the state of this game. Best hype train ever. There were people, involved in Aliens CM, claiming to have influenced the production of Prometheus.

F-Zero for 30p can't be released soon enough!

Farmboy74

Farmboy74 said:

This game was on my wish list, but having read the reviews for the other versions, this game if it ever makes the light of day I will treat with extreme caution. If it's as poor as other versions I can't see why SEGA would even bother releasing it, I'm not going to miss it doubt others will either.

F-Zero for 30p bring it on!!

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I don't get these comments about them not bothering to release it? Where is the logic coming from in that decision? They've already spent the money to make it, they'll want to put it out to make some if that back. It's a business.

fortius54

fortius54 said:

Well, I don't doubt the game is a train wreck, but the person who posted this doesn't seem to be very credible. What can you expect? This game was hampered with developement issues. Generally speaking, when it takes a game this long to come out, it is never really a good sign.

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

@Peach64 Yes but it also cost money to print it on disc (box included) and send it to retails with people knowing that the other versions are bad they may end up losing more money if they do releases it.

Molotov

Molotov said:

Oh I Dont Think Thats A Rumor: A Current Gen Game Having Framerate And Texture Issues On WIIU. Thank You Molotov For Using Your Head And Not Getting A WiiU (While It Was Overpriced (Which Means For The Next 14 Months))

HawkeyeWii

HawkeyeWii said:

The Wii U just keeps looking worse and worse. Yes it's a terrible game to begin with, but how come this one has all these framerate issues again!??

Scollurio

Scollurio said:

@Molotov
Butthurt much? Why you even bother posting here? I also didn't get a Wii U on launch because I was expecting a situation like we have it now, but Im not downtalking it and will pick it up in a few months time, Im sure.

@HawkeyeWill
Like I said, getting a new console within its first year has been quite the masochistic thing to do since the PS1 in my opinion. Always wait. Always. I grew that mentality on my PC on steam, why get a game on release day if I can get it 25-50% off just after 2 or 3 months? Just wait.

And about the framerate issues, it's not the Wii U's fault, its just a sloppy port. Games used to have a different architecture on current gen, next gen (Wii U, PS4, ..) will ALL use a graphics-heavy architecture. Thats also the reason why the Wii mode on Wii U sucks and PS4 and nextbox won't even bother with backwards compatibility. Because the architecture is vastly different to what was done on current consoles a few years now already.

TheXboxHero

TheXboxHero said:

If Demiurge actually improves the game and the ratings will be at 60-70 or higher, then I'll just be like wow :O

SonataAndante

SonataAndante said:

At this point I don't think any of these problems can be attributed to the Wii U itself. The game seems like a mess on any platform. Any additional issues the Wii U version supposedly has are certainly due to poor porting and game pad implementation.

Also, just pointing out something here. This is the second game Gearbox has put out that has taken 10 or so years to develop that is getting panned. The first being Duke Nukem Forever. Though I don't know a lot about Duke, I think I might have heard that Gearbox just made sure what they got from Duke's previous developers was playable and released it, so DNF being bad couldn't be entirely attributed to Gearbox, if at all. Someone feel free to correct me.

dragon_rider

dragon_rider said:

Wait, there were people that looked forward to this game? If Criterion can port a game, these half-a**ed wankers can too.

Chabbox

Chabbox said:

So basically what the devs are saying is, they can't be bothered to port the game? Cheap.

Chabbox

Chabbox said:

I bet we can all agree here that metacritic do a damn good job at reviewing games. "One of the weakest shooters in recent memory. I have a hard time thinking of anything good to say about this game. In spite of how archaic the visuals are (easily below offerings that are nearly a decade old, such as Doom 3, Far Cry and Half-Life 2 to name a few), graphics are far from the biggest problem with this game. Anemic, popgun-like shooting, bland levels, lack of challenge and a plethora of bugs are far more pressing concerns."
Simply proves that we don't need this crap on the Wii U.

jayblue

jayblue said:

ive just bought aliens on the gameboy colour bet its a lot better than the wii u aliens,developers should be sacked i am going to get all alien games for my gba sp that i bought isnt coming quick enough,wii u aliens will be canned dead cert.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

I love all the "framerate issue" talk. Also read it about "Kens Rage 2" "Batman" and some other games too and what should i say...i had no issues whatsoever. Maybe i got a secret "WiiU 2" with special miracle processing powers...
But back to the point. I think that the technical problems are the least of this games problems. As far as i heard, tzhe problems begin with the most basic design choices. And it should be obvious to anybody with a working brain, that a port of an already bad game to a new system with a different architecture will be even worse.If they couldnt make it good on systems theire familiar with, why should they be able to do it on unfamilliar terretory ?

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

It wouldn't surprise me if this was true, but it seems suspicious. Also considering how the other versions turned out, I don't think anyone will be crying over the Wii U version being cancelled. Such a joke of a game, and it's long developement time is indicative of how much time and money are wasted in this industry. So sad to see this happen to such a beloved IP that has helped inspire and mold many popular video game concepts over the years.

russellohh

russellohh said:

Testers are hired on their writing ability and grammar- it's awfully hard to understand a system-wide crash in 4 lines or less if the tester can barely write. Either English isn't this person's first or second language, or they are not a tester.

SpaceApe

SpaceApe said:

I cancelled my pre-order the other day. Not suprising this game isn't that good.

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

Who cares about these rumours?
This is a game that showed to be bad on other consoles, therefore I'm ready to bet that anyone interested in it on WiiU is already waiting a review before buy it, no rumour can make much difference at this point.....
...
...
....except give some extra showlight to a game many were ready to ignore...
Wait wait wait...
Are we sure all these rumours are not a strategy of Sega itself? O_O;

dazana

dazana said:

The Nintendo Wii U version of Need For Speed Most Wanted is the best good looking of the three (Ps3, Xbox, Wii U), and that is a fact spoken by the Criterion spokesman. The Wii U version is based on the PC version with better textures and depth o view. So the fault here is no the Wii U hardware.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Maybe I would care if Aliens: Colonial Marines wasn't terrible, but it is. Although in this case it seems unrelated, often times when multiplatform games show clear differences in quality it is the fault of the developer.

doctor_doak

doctor_doak said:

AVOID!!! AVOID!!! AVOID!!

This is currently sitting on a metacritic of 42 and for good reason. It's garbage. SEGA allegedly gave Gearbox somewhere in the region of 40-60 million to develop this game. Due to the commercial success of Borderlands, they decided to outsource a lot of the game development to other studios, and concentrate on Borderlands 2 because they lacked the manpower to be developing 3 games simultaneously.

It seems as though the poster is legit, and that this could get quite nasty. People on Steam (PC) who bought the game on day 1 are generally outraged at the game that was released, and some of them want Gearbox, SEGA and Randy Pitchford sued, because the game in action doesn't resemble the game that was demoed last year. Gearbox scraped a lot of things when the outsourced game was returned, because it was garbage. The demo had DX11 features and showed off environment hugging aliens that appeared to have reasonably good AI. It at least looked like a decent game. The game that was released is in DX9 and looks like an early XBOX 360 game a lot of the time.. the enemy and team AI is laughably bad. There's way too much COD style 'manshooting', and little suspense to speak of. The dialogue is awful. It's buggy as hell. There are almost no 'scares' to speak of. I don't know what happened between that demo and the release, but it has little resemblence to the demo. There are also accusations that Gearbox was using funds allocated by SEGA for ACM to develop their own B2. That's just a rumour at this stage, but you have to raise serious questions about Gearbox's integrity, if they were given so much money to develop a game, why they then handed it out to external developers who proceeded to ruin it?? Duke Nukem Forever then this...Seems as though Gearbox were just happy to cash in on the big franchise name without giving a damn about the games.

I know there's no way i'll buy a Gearbox game again. This game is $80 US on Steam here in Australia at the moment. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME ;)

Tsuchiya

Tsuchiya said:

"Oh Wow. Yes okay"

Any statement starting like that is guaranteed nonsense. What are they? Four?

Molotov

Molotov said:

@Scollurio
Butthurt? How Childish.
And As Long As You Dont Downtalk The Thing You Are Truly Interested In, We Cannot See Eye To Eye.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

@doctor_doak I think it's a bit unfair for anyone to blame Gearbox for Duke Nukem Forever....the game that was released is pretty much exactly the game 3D Realms/Triptych Games put together and all Gearbox really did was touch it up a little, add multiplayer and finally get it released. As for Aliens: CM....yeah, Gearbox can completely take the blame for that. If what you say is true, then Gearbox have been extremely unprofessional and unethical. I think it will be a while before any other big publishers trust them with a major franchise again.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Yeah, Wii mode sucks? He must have just meant having to go to a seperate mode to play. That part does kind of suck. It plays perfectly though and looks a tiny liitle bit more crisp.

Lopezdm

Lopezdm said:

I had the hope that the Wii U ver was the one we saw in the video. That the 360 and ps3 releases were ports of the Wii U ver. With all the back up that Gear box was saying in the dev videos I was just hopeful that that was the case. It seems as though we could lose another game and at this point I am starting to accept it. This is the house that mario built.

doctor_doak

doctor_doak said:

@ToxieDogg

I think what upsets me is that on both occasions, Randy Pitchford.... President of Gearbox has been up front and square selling both games prior to release. Gearbox may have picked up the train wreck that was DNF in the final stages, but that was only in the knowledge that there'd be a big fat paycheck awaiting them for their (minimal) trouble on the otherside.

Pitchford was spruiking DNF prior to release as if it was the best, most fun thing he'd ever played, and he knew it was garbage. It's just cynical behaviour as far as i'm concerned, and it shows little respect for gaming consumers who keep the industry ticking over.

I think if you pay $80 for a AAA game, you should at least receive a game that is mechanically functional. ACM is broken at this stage, DNF was just plain garbage....Gearbox knew it on both counts, but they didn't care because they knew the 'franchise names' would sell them, and they could use the additional funds raised to finance Borderlands games.

Lyndexer

Lyndexer said:

I'll buy it on the Xbox 360. I really don't care about the ratings for games like these. A lot rate games like these. So I'll be testing this myself.

Gameday

Gameday said:

man i just got done beating the game on xbox... so much is wrong in this game i cant even begin. ha this isnt winning game of the game no matter what console its on sorry gear box and sorry for you too Sega. This is gonna be bargain bin in a couple of months sadly. Thankfully i rented it on GF , id rent this b4 you go buying the game my friends please do just in case you end up feeling how i did.

Kayexxo

Kayexxo said:

This game was designed for the Wii U, not any other bloody console, therefore will be the most amazing game to come out all year! Not to mention that SEGA would've had to play to brilliant game to realese it on the other platforms anyway so no, they cannot sue.

As for the game graphics being different to the promotional trailers, this happens on heaps of games.Take Skyrim for example,the trailer for this game was increadibly well done, however, the games graphics were not what they appealled as. And of coarse the promtional pictures are going to be touched up, they're PROMOTIONAL PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another point to this stupid "rumour of a bad game" is that they actually had to speed up the development of Alien: Colonial Marines as the release date of the Wii U was moved up due to the playstation 4 announcements.

And to everybody who has been saying "I played it on the Wii U" it's not even released yet. Therefore you don't have on this topic as what you have "played" is probably a beta version.

This game is going to absolutely amazing no matter what!