Indie Hit FEZ Is Finally Shaking Off XBLA Exclusivity In 2013

Posted by Damien McFerran

Could be heading to the Wii U eShop

FEZ creator Phil Fish has confirmed that the indie platformer will be coming to other platforms in 2013.

He broke the news on the Polytron site in a post which reflects on 2012 and explains the plans for the next twelve months.

FEZ launched on Xbox Live Arcade in April 2012, and gained a raft of awards. However, the game - and its developer - have been mired in controversy. Fish's infamous comments regarding the state of the Japanese game industry won him very few fans, and his decision to not patch the game due to costs also caused ill-feeling.

Fish is clearly aware that his actions have resulted in a lot of bad press, but still maintains that 2012 was a bumper year for Polytron and FEZ, and that 2013 is going to be even bigger:

Between Sundance, IGTM, winning the IGF, becoming a notorious racist, the game coming out, the patch incident, becoming a notorious asshole, travelling the world, battling a brutal post-partum depression and finding love, my ears are still ringing.

2012 was crazy. But what now? 2013 is going to be an interesting one, too.

For one, FEZ will finally be ported to other platforms. Yes, i’ve heard you, dozens of people emailing me everyday telling me how much of an idiot i am for not porting FEZ to everything.

Although Fish hasn't revealed exactly which platforms the game will be coming to, the Wii U eShop has to be a possibility. The service is gaining lots of support among indie developers and the game would be a perfect fit for Nintendo's console.

Would you be interested in seeing FEZ come to the Wii U? Let us know by leaving a comment below.

[via pushsquare.com, polytroncorporation.com]

TheRegginator

TheRegginator said:

I'm not interested in buying the game to support such a man. I have no respect for him after he spoke out about Japanese video game developers, stated his hate for PC gaming, the entire controversy over FEZ on Xbox Live, and the general way he acts and carries himself. I don't want a single cent of mine ever getting into his hands.

NImH

NImH said:

Yes, please! Fez is just what the WiiU eShop needs! I'd love to see more and more indie developers release their masterpieces on a Nintendo console. Maybe Super Meat Boy next? Wishful thinking, perhaps.
@strongo9 If the microscope were turned on all developers the way it's been done to Fish, you'd have a whole lot of ethical wars to wage over your game purchasing. But I'm sure you have never put your foot in your mouth before.

Alienfish

Alienfish said:

Nice, and I just watched that documentary that was following this guy and the Super Meat Boy devs. This guy seems to have one or two screws loose, but I can't say I would be any different in his shoes. At least he speaks his mind instead of feeding everyone exactly what they want to hear. Gotta respect that about him. I'll buy this game if it comes to the U.

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

Whilst I am not really a fan of mister "Suck my (expletive), choke on it" (his words), I have to admit that Fez looks like a labour of love and a well made game, and a good experience that I would like to try out.

I'd have to see how it pans out with a potential Wii U release. I don't expect the game to do anything extra with the GamePad but I am curious to see what he could do using that.

Void

Void said:

If Fez does come to the Wii U eShop, I would probably pass.

abINC4L

abINC4L said:

I've been holding off on purchasing it for XBLA but if it comes to the eShop, I'll definitely get it.

krunchykhaos

krunchykhaos said:

After watching that documentary I will buy it. No matter what he guy has said in the past he put a lot of his life into that game. Thats enough to respect it.

Nintendaholic

Nintendaholic said:

he worked to hard on this game for it to be bashed on. i dont care who makes the games, if they are good im going to buy them.

Gorlokk

Gorlokk said:

Huh, that's interesting, I just watched Indie Game the movie today, and while I respect Fish, I get the feeling he is kind of an ass at the same time. I'd probably get it at a reasonable price.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

As much as I hate the stuff he's said, I would definitely buy FEZ. I've seen some gameplay videos & it looks amazing.

datamonkey

datamonkey said:

I loved the art style but the game bored me... Good to see it being ported to other consoles though...

Sylverstone

Sylverstone said:

After seeing Indie Game: The Movie, I kinda felt sorry for Phil Fish in his plight to get FEZ finished up and ready for release, but he seriously needs to chill since he really can get into drama quite easily. At least he speaks his mind, but he sure can get caught up in the silliest things.

As for FEZ itself, I think it would be a welcome addition to the Wii U eShop, since he won't have to worry about having to ante up $10,000 to patch the game anyway, plus he could think of some good ideas of how to use the Wii U GamePad (Off-TV Play can definitely be one).

cowboy

cowboy said:

I am interested in the game and would buy it probably if it comes to Wii U eShop

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

Woohoo. Too bad Phil Fish is such an arrogant tool that I simply can't help but not give a darn.

Hyperstar96

Hyperstar96 said:

and his decision to not patch the game due to costs also caused ill-feeling.

This has to be the most ironic thing I've heard all year (wait, it's only January 2nd...)
In Indie Game: The Movie, Fish was talking about how the game is an extension of himself; that it's everything to him and he would literally kill himself if he couldn't finish it. He talked about how making Fez was his entire purpose in life for the last few years and how it was everything to him.

Now he didn't fix game-breaking bugs because it would be too costly?! What happened?

Kirk

Kirk said:

He's got an opinion!

One that is sometimes a little bit controversial!

OMG!

Sue him!

Not being the kind of person who gets overly sensitive about someone having an opinion, I think his game is genius and I look forward to seeing it on other platforms.

I only wish I could create something so accomplished and brilliant.

iamtowel

iamtowel said:

1) Yes please - I'd like Fez and more indie games on WiiU.
2) Fish needs to hire a community manager instead of personally interacting on the interwebs. Someone to work with the gaming community rather than against (as Fish seems to continue doing.)

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

The game's pretty brilliant, and would be worth having on Wii U for the music (by Disasterpeace) alone.... sure, the guy's buffoonery doesn't make him very likable. But I don't want to have a beer with my President; I want him/her to run the country. I don't want to be pals with my game developers; I want them to make awesome games.

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

I don't care how psycotic Phil Fish is, he made a killer game and I'll buy it the instant it lands on a service that I own - I gave up after my last 360 failure.

ueI

ueI said:

I'd buy the game if it were ported. I never understood why all the indie games land on the 360 first.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

This game is great and more people should play it. It's surprisingly fun, even if I think it's far from an artistic masterpiece as some have called it.

taffy

taffy said:

I would rather have this on the 3ds eshop. The changing perspectives in the game could work a charm on the 3ds

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

Never heard of this game before the Indie documentary, but despite the creator's flaws (speaking of which, we all have them), I'll look into it should the game arrive on Wii U and/or 3DS.

earthwormjimx3

earthwormjimx3 said:

Nobody has the fault of anything in life. Otherwise, the bad things we do would have been of completely personal origin, with no kind of influence by anyone or anything through life, something that's absolutely impossible.

I respect Fish a lot. I know everything bad he made was practically mistakes, taking for example his lack of knowledge for Japanese gaming, which derived in his opinions about it. Take in consideration things not made by him, like his post-partum depression, and boy, he really needs help. We don't need to be so negative towards him!!

Everyone of us had, have, and will have many problems, of any kind of magnitude. We must learn to help us all to become better persons instead of criticizing ourselves, because we are not born as intelligent persons. We aren't like gods. Everyone of us pass through various factors of various kinds and magnitudes through life which make us develop ourselves to how we were, are, and will be. Our perfection is different. A perfection based not on not commiting errors, but learning from them. It doesn't matter if we broke a PC keyboard or slap a woman's face. It doesn't matter if we took a virus or throw our worst enemy through a window. WE MUST CORRECT OURSELVES IN THE BEST WAYS POSSIBLE, which is with no jail, no criticizing, no pain. Just the help and company of everyone possible, so we can become better instead of getting the risk of being thrown to jail, or even worse, an electric chair.

Swiket

Swiket said:

I'll probably pick it up on Steam. Apparently some of the game's puzzles deal with the vibration on the controller, so maybe the PSN version would be ideal (if Microsoft allows them to release it on PSN).

Furealz

Furealz said:

Now while I have little to no idea what "Fez" is. But, it points out that it is a game best-suited for the Wii U eShop! The rewards alone make it sound much better than a generic platformer! :)

maC_N_Cheezer

maC_N_Cheezer said:

As much as people say "Oh he is just speaking his mind" and "We don't need to judge his game by his opinion and such". The fact of the matter is, he didn't have to come off so bluntly and as an hugglebunny. He didn't have to be so crude with his comments. He could have just said, "I am not really a fan of modern Japanese games". BAM no controversy. But he decided to be a hugglebunny about it and it is his own fault. He may have gained a couple fans from that comment, but he lost a lot more, and his attitude in general puts me off and makes me not want to buy his game regardless of how great it is.

Wonder_Ideal

Wonder_Ideal said:

I'd like to know more about FEZ. If it's as good as I hear, I'll buy if it comes to the Wii U.

Pogocoop

Pogocoop said:

It's a good game, But I would never think of paying for it and supporting my least favorite Indie developer of all time.
Besides, I allready beat it on Xbox, I'm not getting it again, free or otherwise.

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

I'm soo going to buy this game AGAIN if it comes to Wii U eShop.
1. He's pissed off a bunch of people. What he said was too harsh, but too true.
2. The game is great. I've enjoyed what I've played so far.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@Retro_on_theGo

Yup, this game seems made for the 3DS, if they put it on that system I'll buy the game day one.

As far as Phil Fish, I may not agree with everything he says, but he's allowed to have his point of view. The real problem here isn't him, it's that some people need to stop being so damn sensitive over things.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

If it comes to a console I own, I won't buy it so that I don't support such a disrespectful developer.

Drawdler

Drawdler said:

I might buy it if it comes out on the eShop, if it's a reasonable price, but I find it hard to support a guy who literally said "your games suck".
Anyone else think it would be perfect for 3DS? You could tilt with L and R and it would look brilliant in 3D. I'd buy that.

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

This just in!

Keiji Inafune, a Japanese dev from Japan, shares Phil Fish' sentiments about the Japanese game industry! Now what will we do?

mozie

mozie said:

This should be a day 1 download for everyone,truely an amazing title. After all the hype I was expecting this to be a letdown but it superseeded my expectations in every way. Great game.

sweetiepiejonus

sweetiepiejonus said:

@ThreadShadow
Yes but one acts like a true professional and the other is a foulmouthed donkey and insults people who would potentially line his pockets with money. Please don't ever compare him to Inafune again.

And yes I would still buy Fez because, unless we are talking about a Stefan Eriksson type, I play games for enjoyment, not to make statements.

MarioKenny1992

MarioKenny1992 said:

Sweet, I wanna give the game a try, but I don't care about the 360 so I wanna see it as a Wii U downloadable game