Disney Infinity Will Have A New Game Released Every Year

Posted by Andy Green

Games will be forwards and backwards-compatible

Disney Interactive will be launching its ambitious Disney Infinity title this summer on pretty much every platform you can imagine, including Wii U, Wii and 3DS. The game allows the player to scan real-world toys into the environment and will feature characters from the Pirates of the Caribbean, The Nightmare Before Christmas and Monsters University franchises, to name but a few.

Speaking at a press event attended by VideoGamer, producer John Vignocchi revealed new versions of the game would be released each year. He confirmed that the figures bought for the previous games would still be compatible with the new versions, albeit they won't have a Play Set to go with them.

On the flip-side, Vignocchi also revealed that Disney Infinity would not only be forwards-compatible but also backwards-compatible. There will be an update for the first game that will allow characters from the second game to be used, meaning players can interact with others from Disney Infinity when playing Disney Infinity 2.

The Disney Infinity team will be working alongside film-makers as well, allowing them to gain unprecedented access to the movies in development. This of course means characters from upcoming movies will be made, and will be released with a Play Set as and when new films emerge at the Box Office.

We’re actually directly working with them, so what they’re doing is giving us access to their films as they’re in development, so we’re getting such early access that that is what is allowing us to create these Play Sets where we’re expanding on their content and collaboratively working with these film-makers to create a true transmedia experience.

What are your thoughts on this new insight from the producer? Are you looking forward to Disney Infinity? Let us know in the comments below.

[via videogamer.com]

EvilLucario

EvilLucario said:

Sounds cool, but this is something that won't take my money over more pressing matters like, I'm not sure, Fire Emblem Awakening.

That said, it looks to shape up to be at least a solid-looking title.

Raymen

Raymen said:

I better get ol' Fix-it Felix, Vanillope, and others or me be angry :(

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

I escaped the grasp of Skylanders before the second one came out, and now Disney is trying really hard to pull me back to the dark side... Disney, stahp. Pls!

My body may be ready but my wallet sure isn't...

Placlu

Placlu said:

It's all a phase... It's all a phase... It will stop soon... It will stop soon... right?
I want to play these games (Skylanders/Infinite) but being australian we are already paying $30-50 more than most, and well, it dosen't take a genius to figure out we get screwed.. at $20 per character (for the Skylanders atleast) and with infinite having playsets also... Yea, for a probably 5-8 hour game, it's not really worth the price.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

This is good to know, because it may be a while before I get Disney Infinity. As a Disney fan, it definitely interests me, but there's so many good Nintendo games coming this year and especially this summer when the first game would be released.

WildMan

WildMan said:

Here comes the new COD/EA Sports where there is little to no difference between each game..

DrKarl

DrKarl said:

Looking at the history of Avalanche Software, I don't see a history of solid gaming titles. Is everyone just really optimistic? All I can see is a major ca$hgrab situation. Label me cynical...

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

Ugh, I'm just going to keep screaming this every time I see an article related to this game (or game series already?). CASH COW!!!!!

C7_

C7_ said:

Isn't it a bit early to be saying that? Shouldn't they make sure it's a success first before they commit themselves to such a plan?

Superconsole

Superconsole said:

@C7_ I agree, it's good to have an ambitious project - but at least see if it sells first before announcing plans like that!

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

Make Toontown and include all the Rodger Rabbit cast. It'd be a copyright nightmare.

Void

Void said:

I'm less interested than the last time I heard more stuff about this game.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Epic Mickey sold pretty well (1.3 mil), the 2nd one not so much (.3 mil), so it seems a little early for this announcement.

I wonder if Disney will be better at getting the toys into stores? Giants came out months ago and 2 of the 8 Giants are only out now and difficult to find and the 8th doesn't even have a release date yet. Some people might be a bit gun shy until they see how easy it is to buy the toys. Ebay sellers must be drooling though.

We're not getting this, we're saving our money for when Pokepark, Mario Kart or Smash Brothers does it. Maybe NintendoLand 2. Maybe all video games can start being 99c like "apps" if it cost $300 to buy the toys to play the games.

Jukilum

Jukilum said:

@DrKarl Avalanche made the excellent Toy Story 3 video game with Toy Box mode being the major highlight, and this game is basically an expansion of Toy Box mode.

Ickaser

Ickaser said:

This seems more interesting as we go, but I'm still very dubious that I'll get it personally.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

A little to ambitious for a game thats not even out yet, but its nice to hear peoples' investments in this won't be useless after a sequel or two.

@rjejr I doubt Nintendo will pull something like this, they're really protective of their IPs and I'm pretty sure Iwata has made a comment about being careful about milking them because it cheapens them.

There actually was a pokemon trading figure game and that didn't work out. If anything I could see a pokemon rumble game with real toys though that would be between GameFreak and the pokemon company.

Farmboy74

Farmboy74 said:

WingedFish called it right, this indeed will be a cash cow, just don't let your kids see the adverts!! The pain to my wallet this will cause will be immense, In fact I think I see Daisy the cash cow walking down the farm path getting ready to be milked!!!

edhe

edhe said:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Edgy

Edgy said:

Is it wrong that I'd like to see a Hannah Montana vs High School Musical vs any other generic teen "comedy" Disney have produced? In Street Fighter style gameplay. I wouldn't buy toys for this though.

As for the real Disney Infinity game, it's good to see someone giving Spyro a run for its money.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

my dad will probably end up getting this for my son's birthday like he did for skylanders. i have yet to get my son a skylander but everytime my dad comes down he buys him some.

AmishThunder

AmishThunder said:

It's going to be guitar hero/rock band all over again. It'll be huge and sell like crazy and eventually collapse on itself.

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

This is getting out of hand even faster than I expected... They haven't even released one yet! :O

hydeks

hydeks said:

this seems abit overzealous doesn't it? You don't even know if the first game is gonna work out! lol

GuyMan

GuyMan said:

The Skylanders trend has kicked off for the worst. Take extreme caution people.

Bobhobob

Bobhobob said:

Although my body is ready,
MY WALLET IS NOT! DISNEY! HOLD YOUR PANTS AND CALM DOWN!

LittleKing

LittleKing said:

So, if you buy one toy a month and the new game every year for three years that's $700. That's before buying any additional stages. Plus, one character a month is conservative for many.

Unless you are a Disney merchandise collector or a kid who will get a LOT of enjoyment out of these toys, you're probably better off spending that money elsewhere. You know, like for a PS3 with two dozen games.

Sabrewing

Sabrewing said:

I'm just tired of Gargoyles getting pushed under the rug of so many potential Disney projects. :(

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

I actually like this idea because now I know that my money wont be wasted on toys for a one-time game and will continue to be used as the years pass by and not just for about a month or so and just remain on the shelf or in the toy box collecting dust.

Therian

Therian said:

Every year...sighs...the game looks good I admit, but this is going to be such a rip off...

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

At times like these I am happy for not having any children.

And of course this thing is gonna be a success. Unless Skylanders, it taps into the nostalgia of BOTH parents and kids. @AmishThunder has a point there, they will just milk it until people pukes at the sight of it. Hopefully it does not take too long to get there.

Maybe I am asking for too much, but it would be nice if the second year disc includes the contents of the first year disc and so on, so you can upgrade every other year. It is not like they are filling those discs to the brim either.

_Joejoe_

_Joejoe_ said:

I, for one, think that Disney Infinity is a marvelous idea for one reason and one reason only:
This means no more rubbish movie video games from Disney.

I mean, look at Wreck-It Ralph. The movie was AMAZING! And having a video game based off a movie based off video games in general, well, that should make for a very good video game indeed! But it wasn't. When Wreck-It Ralph released on Wii and 3DS, it was just dull. I suspect it was due to low budget and time restraints, just like with most movie videogames.

But once Disney Infinity is released, they won't have to code up an entire game for it! They will already have Disney infinity as the template, all they have to do is make the characters, the levels and their done! Its much quicker and cheaper than making a whole new game from scratch, so these games should be of MUCH better quality!

We might ACTUALLY get to play a good Wreck-It Ralph videogame! :D
(P.s: I'm not saying ALL Disney Movie Video Games are bad. Toy Story 3 was awesome.)

Nukarmer

Nukarmer said:

Sounds like it's shaping up to be a great cross-media game for kids. Only they have to balance the gameplay, because Toy Story 3: The Video Game they seek to build upon, had me playing a lot of its sections, because they were too difficult for my little daughter. Heck, they sometimes were pretty close to being too difficult even for me!

themac2001

themac2001 said:

if you look on the pic with teh characters, you can see sparky from frankenweenie. whats he gonna do?