Nintendo Download: 6th December 2012 (Europe)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

UPDATE: Wario 3 joins Denpa men, hyper mighty switching and a paper adventure

After a few days of suspense — the release day of EU download details varies every week — we finally know what to expect in the Wii U, 3DS, DSi and Wii online stores this week. All four systems are accounted for, which should warm up any Nintendo gaming Europeans. Let's get to the details.

Wii U download software

Mighty Switch Force: Hyper Drive Edition (WayForward Technologies, €9.99 / £8.99) — This was a launch title in North America that thankfully hasn't taken too long to arrive on the European store. It features the same content as the original 3DS release, but also provides "hyper" editions for each level to double up the content. The 3DS title was already highly regarded, so this HD re-release with extra levels earned a glowing recommendation in our Mighty Switch Force: Hyper Drive Edition review.

LOVEFiLM (Free) — The Wii app arrived yesterday, and the promise of the Wii U version coming soon was certainly accurate. This will allow TV and film streaming on the system for subscribers, and a 30 day free trial is on offer at www.lovefilm.com/wiiu.

Wii U retail download

Funky Barn (Tantalus Media, €49.99 / £39.99) — It's a sandbox farming game with wacky contraptions that is, we can only assume, funky. This was a retail launch title in Europe, but will now join the ranks of downloadable retail titles on the eShop. We're currently mucking this one out ahead of a review.

3DS download software

The Denpa Men: They Came By Wave (Genius Sonority, €7.99 / £7.19) — This is a mix of RPG and AR (augmented reality) gaming, wrapped up in a rather surreal but incredibly charming package. It's a refined title with an excellent art style and music soundtrack, while the adventure itself will take even the quickest gamers around 15 hours to beat. You'll be looking for Denpa Men wherever you go, and we certainly recommend it in our The Denpa Men: They Came By Wave review.

2 Fast 4 Gnomz (QubicGames, €4.99 / £4.49) — This chaotic and whimsical runner made its début on WiiWare not too long ago, but was held back by the occasional flaw. This 3DS re-release aims to resolve those issues and, for the most part, does; this means you won't be struggling to discern background and foreground any more. It's a tough and wacky game that represents a decent download option, and you can read all about it in our 2 Fast 4 Gnomz review.

3DS Virtual Console

Wario Land 3 (Nintendo, €4.99 / £4.49) — As spotted be eagle-eyed readers and formally confirmed by Nintendo of Europe boss Satoru Shibata, Wario Land 3 has made an appearance as a surprise extra in this week's download update. This Game Boy Color title features plenty of platforming with a suitably wacky Wario twist; it's available now and we'll get cracking on a review soon.

3DS Virtual Console discount offers

Donkey Kong (Nintendo, €2.99 / £2.69 until 13th December) — While an initial impression may suggest that this Game Boy version of the arcade classic is a basic port of the arcade title. Once the initial stages are cleared, however, it expands to provide plenty of levels and fun puzzle platforming. With a 25% discount for the next week, now may be a good time to try this one out. If you need to know more, our Donkey Kong review awarded it 9/10 and may have some answers.

Donkey Kong Jr. (Nintendo, €3.49 / £3.19 until 13th December) — This NES title benefits from a 30% reduction, though still comes in at a higher price than the Game Boy title. It has its own style and can be fun in short bursts, but it's one retro title that doesn't necessarily stand up to modern standards. You can read what we thought in our Donkey Kong Jr. review.

3DS retail download

Paper Mario: Sticker Star (Nintendo, €44.99 / £39.99) — Available from 7th December, Mario's latest paper adventure finally arrives in Europe, bringing with it sticker weapons and quirky goings-on. While it may not necessarily be a memorable classic in some eyes, it's still a darn good video game — check out our Paper Mario: Sticker Star review for full details.

3DS retail DLC

New Art Academy (Nintendo, €1.99 / £1.79 per lesson) — Two new lessons are available to download from within the game this week.

• Paint Like Van Gogh
  • Reflections

DSiWare

Christmas Wonderland 2 (Microvalue, 800 Points) — 'Tis the season for festive downloads, and Christmas Wonderland 2 looks set to follow in the footsteps of last year's Christmas Wonderland, with much of the play likely to involve hidden-objects, though some mini-games should be thrown in for good measure. We'll see whether this gives us a good time or brings out the inner Scrooge in our upcoming review.

Wii Virtual Console

The Last Blade 2 (D4 Enterprise, 900 Points) — It's Neo Geo, it's fighting, and there are 16 characters with swords and moves such as "Super Secret Slice". Wii Virtual Console veterans will have a good idea what to expect, but our The Last Blade 2 review awarded this one an impressive 9/10.

Nintendo Video

The 3D Machine Series (Ka-Ching Cartoons, €0.99 / £0.89 per episode) — Five episodes are available to download.

• Episode 1: Attack of the Giant Lizard – In this episode a giant lizard causes chaos in a Japanese metropolis and it’s up to Igor and the professor to stop it in its tracks
  • Episode 2: Brain-Eating Aliens from Outer Space – The professor travels to the outer limits of space to try to save his trusty assistant from brain-eating aliens!
  • Episode 3: Web of Horror – The team travel deep into the jungle to thwart a terrifying tarantula
  • Episode 4: Mummy Mayhem – Take care near the Nile as a mummy runs amok in one of the ancient pyramids
  • Episode 5: Tentacles of Terror – Igor and the professor sink deep to the bottom of the ocean to terrorise the eight-tentacled sea monster that lurks beneath

The Incredible Barbazan (Living Colour Ent, €0.99 / £0.89) — These episodes have now had a small price reduction.

• The Cabinet Of Fear
  • The Fire Juggler
  • The Human Cannonball
  • The Knife Thrower
  • Raging Bull
  • Up Your Sleeve

So there you have it, plenty of content to choose from on all Nintendo systems. Let us know which downloads will be depleting you funds in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (97 votes)

Mighty Switch Force: Hyper Drive Edition (Wii U eShop)

15%

Funky Barn (Wii U retail download)

The Denpa Men: They Came By Wave (3DS eShop)

36%

2 Fast 4 Gnomz (3DS eShop)

Paper Mario: Sticker Star (3DS retail download)

16%

New Art Academy (3DS DLC)

Christmas Wonderland 2 (DSiWare)

The Last Blade 2 (Wii Virtual Console)

Nothing for me this week

22%

Please login to vote in this poll.

NinFreak

NinFreak said:

Might get Denpa Men unless something on Nintendo Direct makes me save up for a Wii U.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@Olaf-symbiote - Wario Land 3 wasn't included in Nintendo's official press release, so it's possible that the Nintendo site is yet to be updated (I believe this happened with Ninja Gaiden in North America a while ago, too). Unless Nintendo issues a correction to us or announces it in the Nintendo Direct later, we'll need to leave it out.

Ducutzu

Ducutzu said:

I bought two lessons for Art Academy so far, and plan on buying the Reflections lesson too.

THENAMESNORM

THENAMESNORM said:

What a bumper week! I'm still hoping for a last minute addition of a surprise title from the Nintendo Direct broadcast but if not, it's still a great week!

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

Totally looking forward to playing Denpa Men, I've been grinding my team in the starting dungeon on the demo in preparation for the full game.

Will also choose Mighty Switch Force Hyper Drive Edition as my Wii U's first download title, but later rather than now.

citizenerased

citizenerased said:

Just curious why anyone would download Paper Mario for that price. Can anyone who is doing that tell me why, when you take into account you can buy it in retail for £10 less?

Angelic_Lapras_King

Angelic_Lapras_King said:

Fingers crossed that weeks will be this big from now on! XD

The Wii VC still lives a bit AND we finally get Mighty Switch Force HD. Sweeeeeet.

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

Nothing for me. I had high hopes for Denpa Men but after trying the demo they all fell apart. It wasn't bad but I don't think is worth the price nor my time. I'd rather finish ds' rpgs.

VC continues to be a letdown, both Wii and 3ds. Here are some games that should be in it not taking into consideration gba: Zelda Oracles, Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, Metal Gear, Wario Land 3, Turok (all 4), Donkey Kong Country and Land (1,2,3)...

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Turok won't be coming due to licensing issues. DKC was just removed on Wii so don't expect that to come to VC on 3DS. Wario Land 3 supposed is coming this week. Mario Golf was released in America so could come at any time.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Finally! I've been wondering when the eShop update was going to be put up. I might get the Denpa Men. I was really excited to play the game after seeing the hilarious ad but it didn't seem all that great when I played the demo at first, just pushing auto-attack the whole time & seeing the Denpa Men do the exact same attack over & over didn't seem all that thrilling. But I played some more of it & caught some more Denpa Men which was heaps fun & hence I may get the game on a whim.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I might Mighty switch force: Hyper drive edition once I've got a Wii U but I'm still not sure whether to get that version or the 3DSware version.

Kohaku

Kohaku said:

Funky Barn seems to have a little problem when your farm is full with animals. It crashed on my Wii U and I heard it from another person also.
A nice game but it needs a patch.

BenAV

BenAV said:

Mighty Switch Force! and Denpa Men are both instant purchases for me.

Squashie

Squashie said:

I think the polls should have the option to select multiple choices, there's quite a few that I will be downloading this week!

Hybrid

Hybrid said:

Denpa Men, Day 1.
Already got the retail version of Paper Mario Sticker Star : )

RR529

RR529 said:

Glad to see you Europeans are finally getting the Denpa Men! Easily the best "3DSWare" game on the service, IMO.

Please, don't judge it solely on the demo. Later on, your party will consist of 8 Denpa Men, making strategizing much more important against the increasingly tougher dungeons, and you're doing yourself a disservice using the "auto battle" button. You can pick your moves individually, just like any other RPG, making combat much more involved.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

Wario Land 3 has now been added, as it was officially confirmed as a "surprise" in the Nintendo Direct broadcast. Huzzah!

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Also Donkey Kong (GB) & Donkey Kong Jr. (NES) have gone on a "Video Game Hero Sale" on the eShop, recieving a 25% & 30% discount respectively. For some reason that wasn't announced on the Nintendo Direct afaik but its live on the eShop now. Guess that calls for another update of the article :p

Vallu

Vallu said:

Whoa! A lot to buy. Wario land 3, The Denpa Men and Sticker Star.

Morphbug

Morphbug said:

OMGWTFBBQEELOHEELBFF

Wario Land 3!
NoE is awesome!

<Looks at NoA> You better surprise me tomorrow.

3dsisthebest

3dsisthebest said:

paper mario and denpa men and probably more, but 58€ aren´t enough if fluidity will be released next week so I need 15 more €

Jese_1

Jese_1 said:

Wario Land 3 all the way! Now I'll have all four of them on VC :D

Also, 2 Fast 4 Gnomz looks to cute to pass on...

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

I'll have to check that switch force review. Nice to see more launch titles heading for retail download territory. In fact I cannot see why the full catalogue wouldn't be there. I'd love to see a retooled Wii game that didn't get a worldwide release as a Wii U download, you know like Excite Bots, maybe?

MeWario

MeWario said:

Wario Land 3 in a freaken heart beat! One of the best Gameboy games ever. Full stop. Yay! :D

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

Oh, man, we haven't even gotten Wario Land II yet here in North America. Enjoy your soon-to-be completed Wario Land collection, Europeans!

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

Nintendo could've offered up nothing except Wario Land 3 and it still would've been a fantastic week.

Garo

Garo said:

Not too excited about Denpa Men. The demo got boring very quickly. Might get Sticker Star as my first Paper Mario.

ArmPit

ArmPit said:

Does anyone know what time Paper Mario will be available in the UK via the eShop on Firiday?

RetrogamerFan

RetrogamerFan said:

Wario Land 3!!
Will also try out some more of those '3D machine' videos. Not usually my kind of thing but I thought the first one was great. I loved the art style it was like a 1920s/30s film but with a modern twist, and pretty funny too. You could see obvious influences like Frankenstein, King Kong and then other references to Metropolis - the ctiyscape and the female character the assistant makes with the machine.
Will get around to downloading the Denpa Men demo before i try the game.

hiptanaka

hiptanaka said:

Mighty Switchbl... Force HD. Looks like good fun and I want to support WayForward.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

So, Wario Land 3 in Europe already? I'm reaaaaaaaaaaally getting ticked off at NOA right now... We still don't have Wario Land 2 until late December... So I'm guessing that means the US will get WL3 in... summer 2013?

CrimsonMoonMist

CrimsonMoonMist said:

If it wasn't for seeing the screenshots being added to the site I would never have known Wario Land 3 was added. I've always wanted to try that one as a kid and now I finally get my chance!

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

Awesome! Wario land 3! I still need to get the previous WL games though. Also, I hope Virtual boy Wario land gets a 3DS VC release.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Dang it! I've been waiting for Wario Land II and III for so long! Wario Land III was my all-time favorite Game Boy color game, and I can't find it in the eShop anywhere, whaa!!! :'(

Unrelated, I did happen to find a video for WarioLand II, not sure how that got leaked but if you log into the NA 3DS eShop and search "Wario", there is a preview video for Wario Land II, but no sign of WL3 anywhere.

DrMonk

DrMonk said:

Mighty Switch Force is missing from the Australian eShop, though we did get Funky Barn (hooray!?). Is this another one delayed due to classification (Trine 2 still isn't there, but has now been rated by the classification board [PG])??

Usagi-san

Usagi-san said:

Ugh. No Mighty Switch Force for Australia and users on miiverse are already talking about exploiting the region changing loophole to download the game from the UK eshop.

This smells an awful lot like Shantae: Risky's Revenge all over again. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't bother to have an AU release at all...