Nintendo Reveals Its Version of iTunes For 3DS

Posted by Orla Madden

Music to our ears

Nintendo has unveiled a new partnership with RecoChoku today during its Japanese Nintendo Direct which finally brings a music store to the 3DS console.

The service is scheduled to begin this December in Japan, and looks set to be Nintendo's take on iTunes for your 3DS. RecoChoku has one million songs in its catalogue and 3DS users will be able to purchase audio next month. Once you buy songs on your 3DS they can be shared with other portable devices.

Sadly, RecoChoku doesn't have any services in the West, but perhaps Nintendo is looking to partner with other companies to bring this kind of service to North American and Europe?

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

I have 20,000+ songs on my iTunes. If only I could stream those songs to my 3DS. Oh wait, my smart phone already does that. /me hugs Google Play.

cammy

cammy said:

Interesting. I'm not sure my 3DS would be a good music player. Much prefer my phone. But if it opens the way for say TV or movies...

TheToader

TheToader said:

Please be Amazon. They already have instant streaming for Wii U. Even though they "compete" with Kindle Fire, Amazon I think still wants its services everywhere.

Salnax

Salnax said:

A service like this in the West would finally give me an excuse to retire the ol' iPod.

cammy

cammy said:

@TheToader Please not be Amazon. Amazon.co.uk don't allow us Irish to buy MP3s or get their streaming service, despite taking our money for everything else. :(

R-L-A-George

R-L-A-George said:

Perhaps the music would be easier to remove than my MP3 files that I can't remove from my SD card that are taking up room...

bahooney

bahooney said:

I recently got a record player because I'm an old fart. This technology scares me when it's on my lawn.

grumblegrumble

grumblegrumble said:

I wouldn't be surprised if this doesnt come to the U.S. iTunes has pretty much cornered that market. It would be nice to be able to download songs that you could share across your devices, tho, but I'm sure the iTunes Store wouldn't pick up on that new single you downloaded on your Nintendo 3DS. ;/

NTELLIGENTMAN

NTELLIGENTMAN said:

@bahooney Me, too. I got a digital record player on Clearance for $40, though I later saw the remaining one for $20. (I'm a cheapskate, so darn) I have to say, the music feels warmer than digital music. The only problem is that some of the records I purchased are scratched. Still, I enjoy owning Vinyl. I haven't owned any vinyl in 25 years and it goes great with the laserdisc player I spent $25.00 a few months ago.

Vampire-Jekyll

Vampire-Jekyll said:

Kinda sorta related, but it'd be nice to see something like Rock Band Blitz come to the platform, complete with the massive DLC catalogue.

I just wish blitz were portable. =/

Shiromikio

Shiromikio said:

It'd be cool if such a service were to come to NA/EU, but there would probably be DRM on it. I'd prefer a mobile version along the lines of Bandcamp or the Joypad Records store (pay and download, no device restrictions).

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

What?! This is insane. Probably won't make it over here, though.

But if it does, I hope there's more Japanese music than what can be found on iTunes...

Boo_Buster

Boo_Buster said:

It would only be interesting to me if we could put our existing music library on the application. I don't buy music, go F yourself if you have a problem with that ;) Big time acts can get their money though touring or merchandise sales. More than likely they sold their souls and are one with the man anyways, so it doesn't bother me one bit.

GameLord08

GameLord08 said:

People... still... buy... music? Well, I'm ashamed now.

In all seriousness, this is absolutely mental. The 3DS gets an eBook service and now a music store in Japan? I probably won't use it much personally (yay, smartphones and tablets), but this is awesome for a handheld.

WesCash

WesCash said:

Shame on people that don't pay for music! I buy at least one CD a month and occasionally pay for individual songs on a subscription service like Puretracks.

Pirating is bad and you should feel bad.

Hokori

Hokori said:

I hope it doesn't cost too much though, I'd buy some good Jpop as well
Aya Hirano FTW

Bankai

Bankai said:

Way too little too late. On my mobile phone, tablet and Vita I have access to like 20 million songs with Music Unlimited.

There is nothing this service can offer that anyone with another mobile device can't get a better version off.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

@TBD: Actually, that sounds pretty neat, & (technologically-)feasible, here in the U.S.

I have some OC Remix stuff, & a few other game tunes on my 3DS for exercise music, when I'm not using my mp3 player. So, the idea of using my 3DS as a portable music player isn't foreign to me. Still, I would be interested in knowing how Nintendo plans to implement this system, in all territories.

Bankai

Bankai said:

HarmoKnight - actually, I have used the service. Obviously not on the 3DS, but the service itself, yes.

@Capt_N it won't likely come out of Japan because, while technically feasable, this music service isn't available out of Japan, and it has no licenses whatsoever, outside of Japan.

So Nintendo would need to renegotiate a music partnership with someone else for every other region in the world. It lacks the capacity to do this, I suspect.

Hokori

Hokori said:

Well at least the option is there even if you don't like it because it's just another wasted thing for the 3DS, I count it as another great thing for my 3DS even if I already have it for my iPad, that means I can use my 3DS for more and my iPad for less (if such thing comes to the west... :()

AlbertoC

AlbertoC said:

Not paying for music is not necessarily equal to pirating. There is grooveshark, you pay for a suscription... Other cloud based services that stream your files (you know, the ones you get ripping a CD you own)... And there is also free, creative commons music. Or public domain music. My favorite. Without need of paying fees of any kind.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

eh i think it be a good idea but not something i would buy or use i rather see a youtube app or that ereader app better :P

janettocrossing

janettocrossing said:

Not a big music fan. And plus, why pay for music when you have YouTube & Pandora? If only Instagram & YouTube were available on the 3DS. Now that would be awesome ;)

NintendoLand

NintendoLand said:

@Boo_Buster If you think that lowly of artists who PAY studio time and work their ENTIRE life to bring us music why the hell do you even play their music??

Tell you what, give us your address so we can rob you of everything you worked for Hey! You can get your money through working or yard sales :)

triforcepower73

triforcepower73 said:

Well I've tried listening to some music on my 3ds and It's really quiet even on full volume, so I probably wouldn't use this.

GreenDream

GreenDream said:

Do they plan on selling full OST's, or just individual pieces? This could be a great way to give more coverage to hidden gem soundtracks.

Big_Al1

Big_Al1 said:

Please partner up with Amazon. I would kill to have my books available on the 3DS, the music would be gravy.

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

Nice. I look forward to not having this in Aus!

@bahooney - I still prefer to by CDs, rather than downloading...technology scares me too.

@triforcepower73 - Yeah, I don't know why the 3DS' music is so quiet. Maybe Nintendo are looking out for the ear-health of their players?

Squid

Squid said:

Well, I suppose that it's good that Nintendo is looking to pursue services like this, but even if it did come to the west I probably won't use it. I mean, my iTouch already does it, so...

RetroGBHippie92

RetroGBHippie92 said:

@Kage_88 Yeah I know what you mean. I actually suggested to Nintendo that they should up the volume in the next update, but they said they dont control that side of things nor would they forward my suggestion onto the HQ

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

I don't see the point of this. I'd much rather see more 3DS titles support music loaded from the SD card as a substitute to in-game music.

BrightShadows31

BrightShadows31 said:

nintendo ought to take a look at partnering with Rhapsody... ive tried them and theyre really good! matter of fact, im using it right now!

Justaguest

Justaguest said:

How is 3ds and any ds a music player?? I can barely hear anything. Volume is so damn low I can not hear anything in car even at highest setting.

BrightShadows31

BrightShadows31 said:

@Justaguest uh, yeah, that would be becaise its designed to be used close to your face. the headphone jack is as quiet as it is because its not designed for speakers, its designed for headphones.

Justaguest

Justaguest said:

@HarryPotter i obviously used headphones when listening to music. I have no clue about what are you trying to say. Seems like you are even contradicting yourself or its me who doesnt get it. Whataver.. 3ds is useless as mp3 player.

Dr-Rockzo

Dr-Rockzo said:

I never get anything off i tunes. I absolutely love music. i just cant afford to buy online.

Iceberg

Iceberg said:

I don't usually pay for music, but it would be nice to be able to listen to music off my 3ds.

I wonder if I'd be able to upload music from my computer onto it.

TheAmazingRaccoon

TheAmazingRaccoon said:

doesnt matter if they find a partner for europe because it wont be tranferable to NZ. Even if they get a partner in Australia it still probably wont be useable in NZ even though we come under NoAu. Why does Nintendo hate supplying NZ with services? [End rant]