Nintendo Download: 1st November 2012 (Europe)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Monsters, samurai, spaceships and dragons

It's that time again when we cross our fingers and hope for some downloadable treats from Nintendo, hoping against hope that we aren't subjected to tricks instead. This week is a mixed bag, with promising, awful and mystery downloads available across all platforms, so let's get to it.

3DS Download

Monster Shooter (Gamelion, €6.99 / £6.29) — As the title suggests, this is a game that involves shooting monsters. Originally released for smartphones, Gamelion brings its chaotic top-down shooter to eShop, with the alien blasting story mode including 60 levels on three worlds and 20 perks to unlock. It looks action packed and relatively fun, but we won't know for sure until we get our hands on it in our upcoming review.

Samurai G (UFO Interactive, €1.99 / £1.79) — While a fast-paced runner-style samurai game at a budget price may sound like a must have, in our opinion it should be avoided. It received a dreaded 1/10 in our Samurai G review, with this line summing it up — "Samurai G is a terrible, horrible, not good very bad excuse for an endless runner".

3DS Virtual Console

Gradius (Konami, €4.99 / £4.49) — Europe didn't have to wait long to join in some retro NES shmup action, with Konami's iconic title arriving on the 3DS Virtual Console. As our Gradius review explains, despite starting to show its age this is a perfect history lesson for the early days of the shmup genre, and now you can take it with you on the go.

3DS Demo

New Style Boutique (Nintendo, Free) — Known as Style Savvy: Trendsetters in North America, Europeans can give this retail title a spin with the first of two planned demos. This is the Fashion Contest demo which, as you'd expect, tasks you with choosing the right outfit and look for a model to wow the crowds. Worth a try for free, at our 8/10 review couldn't help but be impressed with what this title offers.

3DS eShop Discount

Art of Balance TOUCH! (Shin'en Multimedia, €4.99 / £4.49 for one week) — Reduced from €7 / £6.30, this physics puzzler from Shin'en Multimedia and follow up to the highly regarded WiiWare original, Art of Balance, may be worth serious consideration. With all of the console content and a range of additional levels, stylish visuals and, most importantly, well designed puzzles, we certainly recommend it in our Art of Balance TOUCH! review.

DSiWare

Come On! Dragons (CIRCLE Entertainment, 200 Points) — The latest of many DSiWare entries from CIRCLE Entertainment, this appears to be a tower defence game mixed with some shooting action, which arrives at a budget price. We'll be readying our bow and arrows to bring you a review soon.

WiiWare

Back to Nature (UFA Lab, 500 Points) — This one has to go down as a surprise entry, emerging from nowhere to bring a rare piece of WiiWare action. That said, what little we do know suggests that this is a game for children: you help Gert the cockerel, Bla the donkey, Rosi the pig and Susi the sheep to find their friend Tom the cat in the forest. However it turns out, we'll tell you all about it in our upcoming review.

So there you have it, a mix of tempting downloads, unknowns and one to avoid; there's also a freebie to try, as well. Are any of these going to part you from some of your funds? Let us know in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (112 votes)

Monster Shooter (eShop)

Samurai G (eShop)

Gradius (3DS Virtual Console)

14%

Art of Balance TOUCH! (eShop discount)

24%

Come On! Dragons (DSiWare)

Back to Nature (WiiWare)

Nothing for me this week

47%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Mollutje

Mollutje said:

Wouldn't know whether monster shooter is any good, but I think I'm too busy playing Layton anyway, so probably nothing for me this week.

SirSmugleaf

SirSmugleaf said:

I was really hoping for a decent week...

Oh well, that leaves more money for Fallblox, Nightsky etc!

And if anyone hasn't bought Art of Balance: Touch yet, this is a great chance, cos it's a REALLY good game!

FrozenCthulhu

FrozenCthulhu said:

Wow, what utter blehness. Cave Story+? NightSky?

At least there's a discount on Art of Balance, the demo made me want to buy it anyway so I guess now's a good time.

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

I played monster shooter on my friend's ipod and it's good,the control's were abit bad but that's because it was on ipod so it should be good on 3ds so I might be getting it once it comes out in NA if it's cheap.

Pikachupwnage

Pikachupwnage said:

Charging 6.99 euros for monster shooter.....Great joke Gamelion.

Almost as funny as you saying it has the best graphics on 3DS.

Gamelion keep making me with laugh with your stupidity.

RetrogamerFan

RetrogamerFan said:

Gradius is a pretty good shooter, surprised they have gone for the NES version instead of the GB version. I played the GB version back in the day and seem to remember really enjoying it.
Is the price (for Gradius) correct (shown as £4.59, I thought it would be £4.49?)

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Nothing for me. But I'm glad Gradius has come to the VC so we aren't waiting around for it too long. Even though I won't be getting it.

BenAV

BenAV said:

I look forward to giving the New Style Boutique demo a shot... besides from that, nothing for me once again. D:

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

I need a review of Monster Shooter. A bit expensive, isn't it? Art of Balance TOUCH is excellent. I recommend it to anyone who hasn't already downloaded it. Already have versions of Gradius DL'd onto the good ol' Wii.

EU is still owed a fair amount of dsiware:

Also, WiiWare not in the EU but mostly in NA and Jap:

uximal

uximal said:

I bought Art of Balance TOUCH! last week, Its an excellent title but I guess I should have waited just a few days, I recommend it to everyone.

Sandstorm64

Sandstorm64 said:

Nothing this week, though I think Pokédex 3D Pro comes out next so I'll save up for that instead.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I'll probably get Gradius at some point. It will be good to have on the go and there are the restore points in the 3DS VC version if I ever need them.

Late

Late said:

Might get Art of Balance. Still no sign of Petit Computer. I wonder if they ever release it here.

Banker-Style

Banker-Style said:

Will be downloading the demo of Style Savvy 3DS.
I honestly can't wait for this game to be released in the UK.

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

I'm downloading Art of Balance the moment it is discounted. Lucky me, I almost downloaded it yesterday. It's great to finally have discounts in nintendo' dls.

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

Do we need to start sending emails asking where our Cave Story is?

Europe NEVER GOT the DSiWare release, I'll be furious if they pull this nonsense again with the 3DS eShop release.

Omega

Omega said:

I'm kinda interested in "Back to Nature" but not much info on that game. Not even a picture.

Boo_Buster

Boo_Buster said:

@Late Do you know BASIC homie? If not Petit Computer is pretty worthless as it does not teach you how to program... If you do though it is cool. Just a heads up in case you thought it was more akin to the "art" programs that are on the 3DS that basically walk you through the drawing process.

Windy

Windy said:

I'm in North America and I'm hoping you guys in Europe get Cave Story, Liberation Maiden, Nightsky All next week at least. I'm hoping for you guys all of these are great and will empty your wallets but worth it. Gosh I guess Nintendo doesn't want to sell software. ****Scratches Head****

RetroGBHippie92

RetroGBHippie92 said:

@Windy Well we already got Liberation Maiden, I'm holding out for Crimson Shroud, The Denpamen and Cave Story, man I'm gonna be busy close to Xmas!
Nicalis is taking forever as per usual with their releases, I'm waiting for something to play as I'm all out of retail games to finish or complete again.

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

Just the demo for me.

And I'm sick of all of these NES games. Bring on more Gameboy titles! >=(

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

All you Europeans should buy Gradius.

I wish these companies would make new games for the classic SHMUP series. I want a new Star Soldier that's not a 'caravan' mode.

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

I think I'll get Art of Balance, the discount will use up a good amount of my left over points :)

Windy

Windy said:

@RetroGBHippie92 You guys haven't got the DenpaMen Yet? You have got to be kidding me! Windy to Nintendo.......Cave Story, DenpaMen and Nightsky to our friends in Europe ASAP! Absoluetly no reason why you guys shouldn't have Cave Story and DenpaMen already. Makes me mad! Hee Hee. Don't you want to sell some software? COMMON MAN! Seriously I hope you guys get them soon they are so good

Windy

Windy said:

Gosh The DenpaMen to me is a reason to own a 3DS. It looks goofy but its a legit RPG. Do not let the look of that game fool you. It's Retail quality game

RetroGBHippie92

RetroGBHippie92 said:

@Windy LOL I live in NZ, but I really want us PALers to get these games soon, I really am sick of having to constantly tweet Nicalis and never getting a reply on the matter, gees they're afraid of money.....:(
As for the Denpamen, that's apparently out in December! My god nintendo, why aren't we not being treated the same way? I don't see why we should miss out on titles for so long, after all they should be able to localise pretty quickly because we all speak english down under, Doi!

Windy

Windy said:

@RetroGBHippie92 Man i'm sorry. I wish they would just release the games for US and Europe same day at the same time. I totally feel for you. Hopefully soon. Do you still play DS games? Im in a group that plays Blue Dragon Awakened Shadows an excellent online RPG if you would like to join us :) Blue Dragon kind of flew under the radar I highly recommend it if you want something cool to play on your 3DS worth every penny this game has a ton of content http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Dragon-Awakened-Shadow-Nintendo-DS-2010-EU-Import-/380453713383?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item5894cef5e7 Or find a copy at your local store if its available the online play is just great. 10 times better than Heroes of Ruin and it has a bank to put your items away. Let me know if you get this our group has alot of fun. We used to play Phantasy Star Zero which is also a great online RPG. We just moved onto Blue Dragon

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

@RupeeClock DSI would be worthless now as no one would really care about it. And chill, Nicallis stated that Nightsky will come this month for you guys and CS a little bit later, it's been rated!

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Errm, on the App store you Monster Shooter FREE with 40 levels (if I'm not mistaken) over four worlds. For a further £1.99 you get a further 80 levels and 100 missions! Don't know if I'm mistaken, but it very much looks like that's the case. Downloaded the iOS version, therefore. Only thing is, the analogue stick emulation on the iPad screen,as with so many games on ios,is a poor in comparison with a real circle pad. Much poorer.

Sjoerd

Sjoerd said:

Is Art of Balanca a direct port of the wiiware version? I thought it was.

Considering Gradius, really need a shmup on the go.
Is it clear when Nano Assault EX is coming?

Webby

Webby said:

I really like the art of balance, but i don't see it discounted yet? I see 3d gold for 1,99. Did i check too soon?

RetroGBHippie92

RetroGBHippie92 said:

I hope Monster Shooter arrives in our eShop, even if it is more of one of those shovelware-esque type games, to me it looks pretty fun. I normally buy the good eshop titles, but if we get it on friday I may just download that and maybe Hana Samurai, i've been meaning to play that.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Awesome, another discount for me to buy :D I've bought nearly every other discount & I just recently downloaded the demo of this game & loved it so I can't wait to get it on the cheap :D