Take a Look at These Nintendo DS Testing Machines

Posted by Mike Mason

Plastic breach

Readers of a nervous disposition, turn away now — the following images of Nintendo DS testing may prove disturbing.

Nintendo has published its 2012 Corporate Social Responsibility report, which contains several images of portable console torture. The report shows off some of the vigorous tests that Nintendo hardware goes through to ensure quality. Hinges are left weeping, shoulder buttons are pummeled and systems' very cores are shaken.

Take a look, if you dare.

Consoles also go through further trials to ensure that they can "withstand extreme conditions with constant temperatures or humidity". Poor things.

If you're interested in learning more about Nintendo's attitudes to social responsibility, check out the rest of the CSR report, in which you'll learn that the environment, employees and charity work remain top priorities. Afterall, the goal is "to put smiles on the faces of everyone Nintendo touches". Aww.

[via tinycartridge.com, nintendo.co.jp]

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

Those were the most horrifying images I have ever seen in my life. And I saw the Madonna episode of Glee.

x-mas_mii

x-mas_mii said:

if I were a computer I would sue for torturer, but I am not so...
nintendo,
how many drops does it take to break a dsi?
well lets find out
1,2,3,4,5....18 there we go

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

They must've really put the 3DS through the ringer... I've dropped the the 3DS from at least 4 feet up and it didn't shatter, and the coating didn't scratch. Everything works fine. It's actually fallen, sad to say, down several carpeted stairs, no problems. Amazing Nintendo's stuff.

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

I like seeing articles like this. Changes things up a bit and we all come a away having learned something. Aww

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

Poor things, oh well, the suffer for the best. Though the ds lite should have failed that shoulder button test

mudjo

mudjo said:

My 3DS has failed the repeated keying test of Kid Icarus...

The L button doesn't work any more!

MetroidMasher17

MetroidMasher17 said:

Oh, the HORROR!

Well, Nintendo's harware has almost invariably been very durable, but these tests are, sadly, necessary to confirm the structural integrity of Nintendo's products. The DSi consoles in the pictures above are sacrificing themselves for the good of consolekind.

May their greatness long be remembered.

Drewroxsox

Drewroxsox said:

The dsi's shoulder buttons suck. They stop working every now and then, but I haven't experianced this problem with the 3ds so, good job Nintendo.

Super-Mario-Fan

Super-Mario-Fan said:

My L and R buttons on my DSI don't work for no reason,The hinge on my DS is kinda broken for no reason,and My 3DS is kinda messed up because it was kept in slightly cold weather overnight. So im not sure these tests are working,and believe me all of this is not my fault.

Unca_LzStaff

Unca_Lz said:

"Consoles also go through further trials to ensure that they can 'withstand extreme conditions with constant temperatures or humidity'. Poor things."

Lessee...I wonder why they test that! :P

Oh right, Mississippi! :D

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I don't care the tortures these consoles go through. But I would be crying in rage if it was MY 3DS being tortured!

I read in the Iwata Asks about the 3DS that they stepped on it and let it drop from heights in order to test its durability. I hope Nintendo is not the only hardware company awesome enough to do these things. It really says a lot about their quality commitment.

x-mas_mii

x-mas_mii said:

am I the only one reading doubleposts on everything or is it just my horrid internet?

sorry. just my awful internet

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

It's like those old Game Boys... They just won't die!
One of them even survived getting bombed in Iraq:
Untitled

Koos

Koos said:

Awesome stuff from Nintendo. I guess they took it Through a war too to see it stands the Game boy test oF surviving live fire.

Miroku

Miroku said:

At least we know Nintendo's build quality is unmatched. Compared to Sony's cheap PSP which was known for the analog stick often breaking or Apple's Ipod which screen's crack if you accidently drop it.

noxusprime06

noxusprime06 said:

i dropped my ds lite from like 4 feet and the hinge broke off and the top screen game flying off. drop test fail lol

hydeks

hydeks said:

yay that game boy was in the gulf war.

I seen these pics on gonintendo last night, and there pretty interesting. Question for Nintendo though, if you test your systems this much, how come my 3ds' hinge on the left of the system is really loose lately? Don't make any sense...

Supereor

Supereor said:

The PlayStation Vita charger wouldn't stand a chance in a flexural test, I've been using mine normally, and the vital wires are showing more and more everyday.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

I have heard that DS Phats, the original DS, has survived drops from 1 story buildings, oh, and DSi's being chucked at walls, and the original gameboy surviving a bombing. Screen was destroyed, and the plastic took a beating, but it still worked.

One more thing, In a contest as to which 4th gen console would survive the worst beating, the gamecube won by far.

StreetRat

StreetRat said:

@Aviator The gulf war was in Iraq (And Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and Israel)

So technically it did survive a bombing in Iraq (possibly)

StreetRat

StreetRat said:

@Aviator The gulf war was in Iraq (And Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and Israel)
So technically it did survive a bombing in Iraq (possibly)

NintendoLand

NintendoLand said:

No wonder Nintendo's products are so durable!

@StarDust There's also a strory of one being dropped in a toilet and taken out a week later. After it dried it chimed "gling" and worked!

@knuckles Yes, correct. Also the DS was more durable than the PSP in tests. The sad part? Gaming media tried to use the advantage AGAINST Nintendo! saying "Because it's made for little kids" they made it more durable lol.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

@NintendoLand And which system did better in the DS-PSP war?
I think the point the were trying to make backfired.
"Nintendo just made a childproof console" and then it sold like hotcakes :P

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

Almost all of the consoles they make use "nintendium", which is hard and strong, coming close to rival nokia's durability :P

KAHN

KAHN said:

at least i know my ds isn't going to break when i leave it in a nuclear power plant.

Ren

Ren said:

too bad they never tried closing it and walking around or they'd see that it scratches it's own screen. Not to mention playing it anywhere near any kind of light source and not seeing yourself in it like it's a mirror. There's no better tester than a human.

singie1

singie1 said:

i left my 3ds out on the garden bench overnight, was raining and never seen it was missing until the next afternoon!! it still works ok, but one of the cameras is showing a purple haze :(. i suppose it could have been a lot worse!!!

Joygame51

Joygame51 said:

I lost a DSlite to the Fabled HINGE MONSTER but two times ... Once on one DSlite then on another ..... I kinda poo poo the so called "TOUGH" stance of NINTENDO on the Dslite system If they had tested it so well so many of us out there would not have had to replace systems for hinge problems.