Nintendo Download: 19th July 2012 (Europe)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Wario, revenge, flipping and learning

The details for this week's Nintendo Download in Europe are out with 3DS, Wii and DSi all getting some love, as well as the long-awaited return of a favourite edutainment series. Let's get to it.

3DS Virtual Console

Wario Land II (Game Boy Color, Nintendo, £4.50/€5) — While Wario's first appearance on Game Boy was linked to the main man's series in Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3, the portly villain gets to go his own way in this portable sequel. This one's all about recovering riches, of course, with mini games, secret exits and alternative endings also thrown in. This title was originally released on Game Boy but then received its own Game Boy Color version: Europe will receive the latter, and the higher price may be worth it to see Zombie Wario in colour. We'll bring you our review soon.

3DS Add-On Content

Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy — £0.90/€1 each:

• The Dalmasca Estersand (FF12 - FMS)
  • Dungeon (FF02 - FMS)
  • Etro's Champion (FF13-2 - BMS)
  • Battle (FF06 - BMS)

Wii Virtual Console

Double Dragon II: The Revenge (Aksys Games, 500pts) — Hitting Europe a month after the North American VC release, this second entry in the NES beat-em-up series arrives with some improvements on the original. With tighter controls and co-op multiplayer, so painfully lacking in the first title, fans of the series should consider this one: read our Double Dragon II: The Revenge review if you're still not sure.

WiiWare

Successfully Learning English: Year 2 (Tivola, 800pts) — The Successfully Learning franchise is, possibly, the most prolific series on Nintendo download services. We've already been taught English by Freddy the Vampire on DSiWare, but the mascot that cares now wants to share the knowledge on WiiWare. We'll be reviewing this long-awaited return of edutainment later this week.

DSiWare

Zuma's Revenge (PopCap Games, 800pts) — This is another port of an addictive PopCap title, with this one consisting of firing and matching marble colours over 60 levels and boss encounters. It's a pricey download, but as our Zuma's Revenge review explains, there's a lot of compulsive bang for your buck.

Flip the Core (Engine Software, 200pts) — It's another DSiWare shoot-em-up, with the dual tasks of guiding your ship and blasting everything away while also 'flipping' the environment when needed. It's a neat twist and a decent value download without truly excelling, as our Flip the Core review explains.

Video Download

The Incredible Barbazan: The Fire Juggler (€1.50 or £1.40, episode 2 of 6)

See the world’s worst magician performing tricks and stunts that always fail! Created using innovative stop motion animation these hilarious shorts featuring everyones favourite magician are available exclusively in 3D for the first time.

A varied group of downloads this week, but do any of them tickle your fancy? As always, let us know on our Facebook poll.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Wario Land II wouldn't be £4.50 if it was the original b&w version. Hope its the GBC version but will download either way.

Was hoping we would get Last Blade or King of Fighters '96 this week but oh well. Maybe next week.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@Bass_X0 I just re-read the details and, yes, it's the Game Boy Color version. I've updated the article, and I for one am pleased to get that latter version, even if it costs a bit more.

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

I'm looking forward to picking up Wario Land 2, that game is a classic.
Which leaves only Wario Land 3 to make the collection complete on the 3DS, so long as you're an ambassador. ;)

I'm also interested in getting Zuma's Revenge. A little Popcap action on my 3DS should be refreshing, I hope it's better made than Bookworm though.

Also, I'm gonna avoid The Incredible Barbazan, and so should you. I downloaded the first episode last week and it was dreadful.

GameCube

GameCube said:

Etro's Champion is actually from FF XIII-2, not from "FFS" (whatever that may be).

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@Yasume To be fair to Bass, initially I said it may be the Game Boy version, I'd mis-read the press release. Updated since ;)

chewytapeworm

chewytapeworm said:

Aren't NoA still waiting for SML3 Wario Land? Poor blighters... I'll be all over the next Wario VC release this Thursday!

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@GameCube So I see, not sure what FFS is either, but that's what Nintendo said. I'm not big on Final Fantasy, so appreciate the tip and updated it.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

I'm surprised they went with a Game Boy Color game, since EU is now running behind on the NES/Famicom games.

I'm like, 50% sure Japan will get Mario Golf this month. NA actually got it before us.

Olaf-symbiote

Olaf-symbiote said:

YES! YEEESSSS!!! I love Wario Land 2! In fact, it's one of my favorite games of all time! I'm so glad I still have that extra €7 on my eshop account: I'll be on to this like a bear eating honey come Thursday! Can't wait to re-experience my childhood without having to manage with a GBC cart with a dead save battery!

Fabian

Fabian said:

Cool nothing new on 3dsware -,- I´m sure NA will get 2 new 3DSWare Titles again
But good to see Wario Land 2

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@Tsuchinoko Yes, by me ;)

I may personally be tempted by Flip the Core, as a budget title. It didn't have a glowing review, but it's been a good while since I played a new shmup.

KaiserGX

KaiserGX said:

Dang ol Europe got both games before we even got ours... ENJOY.

Just a couple more days and WAHAHA OH' I MISSED!

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Nothing for me this week. I find the Warioland series bland/boring. The sooner they get them all out though the sooner they can move on to the other VC titles. ;)

KaiserGX

KaiserGX said:

UGH DAMIT MARIO_PARTY_FAN!.... I was about to post and you post blocked me... :(

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I'll get Wario land 2 at some point but I hope they start releasing virtual boy games on 3DS vc at some point, I would rather get that before WL2 as that came out before it.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Good for Europe, and hopefully it won't take too long for Wario Land II to come to North America. Once I get Wario Land II and 3, I'll have the whole series besides Shake It because I got 4 as an ambassador.

Monsti

Monsti said:

Uhhhh....good week. Some Wario, some wii VC and some more songs for FF for me :) need another points card

DeMoN-13ruce

DeMoN-13ruce said:

gonna buy wario land 1 and 2 when they finaly add eshop cards in more stores in my country>.< probs wil happen after wii u:p

warioland 1 oh the nostalgia loved that game :D

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@Gamecube Wait, what? I'm looking at the Wikipedia page right now. It says Mario golf came out July 5th in NA, and Japan doesn't have it yet.

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

I think there's a slight misunderstanding here: we, North America, got NES Open Tournament Golf (which prominently features Mario) a couple of weeks ago, which obviously must have had a different name in Japan, since they had the Famicom and not the NES.

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

we in NA get this:
July 19th- Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters (GB)
July 19th- Tumble Pop (GB)
July 19th- The Phantom Thief Stina and 30 Jewels
July 19th- Petit Computer
plus we might get more stuff like a sale or something.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

How am I making stuff up? There's only one NES Ambassador golf game. Its called Mario Golf here in Japan. I looked on and its called NES Open Golf in the west. Like I said, came out in NA July 5th, and isn't out in Japan yet. I gave plenty of info here, even if I didn't know what it is called in the States. I'm not sure why you feel you have to call me out on anything. I was making a simple observation. Even Bass_XO just put a link there for you.

Luigifan141

Luigifan141 said:

Just to clear up some confusion, NES Open Tournament Golf is called Mario Open Golf in Japan.

EDIT: Ninja'd!

eleven59

eleven59 said:

it would be very uncool if NA just got the original GB version while everyone else got color!!

actually, in dream world nintendo would release all these gameboy games as color with an option to toggle to their original b&w selves...

and will we ever see virtual boy wario in the 3ds vc shop!! come on nintendo!!

CommanderAudio

CommanderAudio said:

I can't get anything. If I had any money what so ever, Wario Land 2 and Zuma's Revenge would be insta-purchases

KaiserGX

KaiserGX said:

For the Famicom they just have Mario's Open Golf and Golf. Golf US Course and Golf Japan Course for the Famicom Disk system. Untitled

Mario's Open Golf has the same artwork we do.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

What? You guyses get Wario Land 2 two weeks before we even get the first one? BLEEP!!! :p James already setting NoE on fire his first day on the job, getting them to release WL 2, when that isn't even his department! ;)

Firejonie

Firejonie said:

I"m going to pick up Wario Land 2 when it comes to NA.

Mok, the game is different from SML3, I enjoyed Wario Land 2 more than the first one.

Mok

Mok said:

@Firejonie: I didn't enjoy the first Wario game although everyone had been giving it raving reviews. That's why I'm hesitant splashing out on the second one.

MeWario

MeWario said:

Wario Land 2 = my favorite portable game of all time! I played it to death as a kid and eventually collected a million coins! Instant download, hope everyone gets this!

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

I missed the part about DD2 actually being released for VC. In that case, I'm ALL OVER that when it comes to the states.

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

how much more songs are they putting on that game,its like they only put a few songs in the game its self and then the rest as dlc

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@undead-terror I think there's a lot of songs already in the game, but there have been sooo many Final Fantasy songs over the history of the games that they can keep releasing DLC for a long time.

Its good everyone is happy about Wario Land 2. Here in Japan I decided to buy WL3 over WL2. I heard it was the better one, but I'll check the reviews on here and I'll wait for impressions from other NL people when the games come out and maybe I'll pick up WL2 eventually as well.

TourianTourist

TourianTourist said:

Actually I thought the GB version of Wario Land II was the more charming one. The coloring just didn't look right, I didn't like it. And there were no additional features unlike in Zelda LA DX to justify the GBC version in any other way.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

Well, I guess America is gonna wait another half-year or so until Wario Land 2. And if we get the black and white version, I'm gonna flip.

Firejonie

Firejonie said:

@UnseatingKDawg I doubt we'll get the Gameboy version. We all got the Color versions of Links Awakening and Game and Watch Gallery 2. So it seems that Nintendo will release the better color versions of games like this.

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

@GameCube, @Tsuchinoko It's unfair to say that all regions got the Mario Open Golf at the same time (September 1, 2011) because of a limited number of people could only get it at that time, as Nintendo released it only to 3DS Ambassadors.

Anyways, nice to see Wario Land 2 this week! Enjoy Europe! :)

WL2 was my first ever Game Boy title (GBC). I would love to play this again! :)

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

still have to finish wario land 3 from the ambassador games.

gbc wario-game for 5€ is cool

Eliasson

Eliasson said:

Do anyone know why the Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy DLC isnt up yet? I want that FF6 battlesong..