Surprise! Disney Announces Epic Mickey 2 for Wii

Posted by James Newton

Never saw it coming

After months of speculation, Junction Point's Warren Spector has revealed Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two.

Coming to Wii as well as PS3 and Xbox 360, the sequel is described as a 'musical', with characters regularly bursting into song. There's co-op play between Mickey and long-lost Disney character Oswald the Lucky Rabbit; Mickey still has his paintbrush and thinner, while Oswald can control electricity using a special remote control.

The original's "play style matters" also comes into play in the follow-up; your decisions and behaviour will affect not only the characters and environments but the music, too.

Spector is keen to assuage fears that the follow-up will suffer from the much maligned camera that dogged Disney Epic Mickey, telling Associated Press:

We've had a team working on the camera from literally the day we finished the first game. They'll be working on it until the day we ship the second game. (There have been) over 1,000 specific changes made to the camera. Our goal is that you will not have to touch the manual camera controls even once to play through the main story path of this game.

No word of that rumoured Epic Mickey 2 for 3DS, but it'll be interesting to see if the Wii version can outshine its predecessor.

[via sfgate.com]

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

Looking forward to this one! Disney is always clean fun, and the first game for this was really good. Glad there is co op with Oswald now too!

bauckster

bauckster said:

Well I'm one that really enjoyed the first game, despite some of it's flaws. Count me in!!!

I do hope that the whole "play style matters" bit is a little less shallow than in the first game, though I'm not really holding my breath. Also, I sincerely hope that there is less fetch-questing, and that the camera is better (obviously!). Also, I hope that the 2D levels make a reappearance and that there is an option to play them at any time once you beat the game!

Marakuto

Marakuto said:

I'm gonna start selling cookies for £2.50 in school (always works) to 12 year olds so I could pre-order this.

motang

motang said:

I still need to play the first one! I will before the second one comes out!

Willy105

Willy105 said:

Yes! A musical!
Hopefully they don't mess it up though. We don't need a dancing game.

James

James said:

I really should play the first one. I get the impression I'd really like it.

FOREST_RANGER

FOREST_RANGER said:

Well, 2012 is looking a little brighter for the Wii u_u
I should play the first one and see how it is

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

Sweet! I really enjoyed the first Epic Mickey so this one is a sure buy on day 1! Great to hear they are working really hard on the camera this time around. I really hope there tuns out to be a 3DS version of this as well.

LonelyGreyWolf

LonelyGreyWolf said:

Not Wii U? Any way, the first game was a weird experience for me. At some points the game was amazing: really fun, great characters, great atmosphere, nice exploration. But too often did the game become repetitive, boring and just awful. The level design is some of the worst I've ever seen. All that said, I'd still consider buying a sequel, just for those good moments. But there are certainly room for improvement.

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

The first one was a really good game with one (really big) tragic flaw. Hopefully they've gotten the camera under control now. At any rate, really? The Wii? Why would you release a brand new game on a dead system like that?

jon_simmons

jon_simmons said:

I didn't have that much problem with the camera. I didn't think the platforming was that great and I thought that there were too many tasks to do. I kept forgeting to find certain things and would fail missions. I just wanted to get to the end of the level and move on. Didn't care for the dark graphics either. I'll probably skip this unless it get some decent reviews then I'll wait for when it's in the bargin bins.

citizenerased

citizenerased said:

Music + Improved camera? Sounds good to me. I'm guessing it'll get ported to Wii U so I'll probably get that version. If Okamiden has taught me anything, it's that paintbrush on touch screen works a lot better than painting with the pointer.

EDIT: "When asked which platforms Epic Mickey 2 is being made for, GTTV’s Geoff Keighley said, “It’s on next gen too!”"

First time I've been proven right within a minute, me thinks.

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

Musical... Yep this is a Disney Game. I was anticipating the origional game for months. It didn't turn out as I expected. And in the ending, Donkey Kong Country Returns was over shadowing Epic Mickey for me.

Kirk

Kirk said:

If that screen if from Epic Mickey 2 I'm totally impressed with that circle shadow under Mickey!

Dashtag

Dashtag said:

Whodathunk it? A second epic Mickey? Man, this came out of the blue...(not really. how long have we known that this was going to happen?

Alienfish

Alienfish said:

If they're making PS3/360 versions then I'm sure there will also be a WiiU version released alongside the Wii version. It would be stupid to let those high poly models and textures go to waste by only releasing it to Nintendo in regular Wii form.

SteveW

SteveW said:

I think the camera was fine... hopefully they don't mess things up trying to change it...

MakeMyBiscuit

MakeMyBiscuit said:

I loved the first game and the camera was not much of an issue at all.

I am so glad it is coming out to the Wii. I loved the controls of the first. Thank you Mr. Spector for not selling out and still showing some love for the Wii :)

Yoshifan523

Yoshifan523 said:

I have mixed thoughts about the first one the part i really hated about it was the " find the parts" quest where you had to find all of your robot freinds's parts. it was so hard and I felt so awful about not finding all of their parts when i finished a level. man i hope they don't bring that part back

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Well, seeing as how it's on the PS3 and 360, the 3DS and Wii version will undoubtedly be downgrades of those. The only real hope for the full version of the game on a Nintendo system is the Wii U.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

Not on the Wii U? That is a missed opportunity for Nintendo. Looks like I will be getting this game on either the PS3 or Xbox 360.

DogNut327

DogNut327 said:

Co-op and improved camera made me think "day one!" Then I re-read it and saw that it was gonna be a musical. Now I'm undecided.

mastersworddude

mastersworddude said:

Nice to see people here still judge the overall quality of a game based on an announcement and the promise to fix the main complaint of the first game.
Musicals in a Disney game!? This totally means the game will be crap.

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

Still have to play the first, then I will decide based on that. But a musical? This is a serious(ish) game. Not a disney tv show.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

There might not be a 3DS version, but I'm glad that Spector and his team are going to take care of the camera. Not that it bothered me that much anyway, but it did other people and so this can only help.

About the whole musical thing, Disney movies have been musicals since Snow White, and virtually all of Disney's old cartoons before then were musicals. Music is one of the the main pillars of Disney entertainment, just like it is for Nintendo games. Also, don't assume that just because this game might be a musical that it'll be silly and care-free. It'll have the Epic Mickey darkness.

Henmii

Henmii said:

While I wasn't a huge fan of the original, I still hope this will be a lot better! Who knows, maybe they can pull it off!!

Don't you guys think this game will eventually be canceled for Wii and moved to the Wii u? It wouldn't surprise me!

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

Still haven't played the first....I'll play it eventually i guess.
But to be honest, I'd rather play Castle of Illusion. :p

Popyman

Popyman said:

So excited. :D

The "2" in the title really needs to be dropped though, two two's is a two too many and makes sentences like I just wrote happen. XD

Shock_Tart

Shock_Tart said:

idk about this one really. i didnt care for the first it was bland and repetative. and it was somewhat different from what the advertisements and hype was about. i think ill skip this one.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

Wow. What a bunch of ignorant fools. You hear about a musical with Disney and you think of their TV shows? What the heck is wrong with you?! They did musicals in their movies and other media since Snow White!! Ignorance is certainly bliss here.

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

Call me a contrarian, but I thought the first Epic Mickey was beyond disappointing. An excellent premise ruined by mediocre execution and a truly abysmal camera and controls. This sequel would have to be a vast improvement for me to even consider giving it a rental.

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

@Rukiafan Snow White. Fantasia isn't exactly a musical in the strictest sense of the genre. While it's all about classical music, it doesn't have actual show tunes. [/major Disney nerd]

Shock_Tart

Shock_Tart said:

yeah fantasia was basically a... well music video for lack of a better term. for some classical songs. it was very good though i liked it. and yeah iz is right, musical+disney= nothing new, disney wont try out something new. the first one could have showed a post apocalyptic disney land with mickey and his paint brush to fix it. (well thats what they advertised) but no, just grayscale disneyland more or less is what it was.

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

A fixed camera? Sweet!

Since it's coming to HD consoles, I wonder if we'll see a Wii U version?

No matter what system it'll be on, I can't wait to play this. The 'musical' aspect sounds pretty cool!

EDIT: @Strongo9 - Epic Mickey 2 was never going to be a Wii exclusive. With the dissapointing sales of the first one, one can hardly blame Junction Point for releasing the sequel on multiple consoles.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

@WolfRamHeart Missed opportunity not releasing on Wii U? Well, considering the install base of the Wii is, what, over 90 million... and the Wii U's is a big round zero, I think it's a decent decision.

bauckster

bauckster said:

@Kage_88 Acually, I heard that the first game sold rather well on the Wii. Not Mario or Zelda well, but quite well. But, I'm sure they're primed to make a lot more by releasing it multiplatform. I don't hold that against them - it makes sense from a business standpoint. My big concern is that the focus will go towards the next gen. consoles, with sloppy conversion for the Wii version. I really hope that doesn't happen. I haven't made up my mind yet about if I will buy a Wii U, so...I'm sitting on the fence about buying this on Wii or waiting for the inevitable Wii U version. I guess I'll wait for the reviews to decide.

hillbill26

hillbill26 said:

I'd like to see how they interpret the musical part into the gameplay itself. But I'm looking forward to playing as Oswald. That Dude Is Boss!