Nintendo Resurrects Dreamcast's Seaman for 3DS

Posted by James Newton

Nothing fishy here

Bizarre Japanese fish conversation simulator Seaman is coming to 3DS, according to Andriasang.

The Dreamcast original boasted a microphone that let you talk to the titular fish-with-a-face, giving him commands and building a relationship; in the English version, the voice over was provided by none other than Spock himself, Leonard Nimoy.

Seaman is generally looked on as a novelty in SEGA's back catalogue rather than a must-have, but according to the Nikkei report Nintendo might be interested in reviving other publishers' titles to create strong titles for 3DS. We can hear the Shenmue petition machine whirring into life right now.

[via andriasang.com]

RantingThespian

RantingThespian said:

Never heard of this before, but sounds like it could be interesting. If they can get Leonard Nimoy to do the voice for the 3DS version, I think that alone would be worth the purchase.

nick_gc

nick_gc said:

I would be interested in this for the right price. Never got round to playing the Dreamcast version though I did want it.

Incognito_D

Incognito_D said:

that's awesome! I actually have Seaman and the Dreamcast mic.
It's a very bizarre little novelty of a game. I actually haven't played it for a couple of years and I'm too scared to go back and load my save because no doubt my Seaman will have succumbed by now to a horrible death!

Karakato

Karakato said:

Never played this game, but I always wanted to try it out, just think of the conversations we will have with these... things. Especially with the 3D on, I will have Seaman all over my face :D

Also, Jet set Radio 3D, Ristar and Vectorman 3D classics and I will die happy.

Samholy

Samholy said:

that was creepy. i remember that face after all these years...some mutant fish that talks. ugh
it depends if it comes in retail or in the eshop. i wouldnt mind a eshop bizarre game like this, but i surely wont pay for a retail game of seaman. 39.99 is way too much for such weirdness.

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

it is one of those strange titles by SEGA, but it would be great for them to port jet set radio, crazy taxi and shenmue from the dreamcast line up too.

Squid

Squid said:

If Nintendo's planning to revive older titles (and if they were exclusively SEGA titles), I would really like to see a Jet Set Radio game for 3DS.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

i'm sure Zach will be thrilled by this news, but i gotta agree with the 'this over Shenmue?' sentiment...

nesatnite

nesatnite said:

oh man, i loved this game. one of my greatest video game experiences was when seaman asked me what my favorite movie was. i told him bladerunner and he went on to describe how the ending scene was so emotional & that it gets to him every time. i will never forget that seaman moment. cant wait to play again as an adult. we had a few conversations about recreational drug use as well. i swear...im not lying.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I totally agree with misswliu81, those three would make awesome games.

I never got to play Seaman, but it must be little more than a bizarre curio now.

spzero15

spzero15 said:

This game is Great, I would play the game when my wife (then Girlfriend) was around, and every time i would leave the room he would say creepy things to her.
He's a closet Perv. Lol