Reaction: Third-Party Wii U Games Confirmed

Posted by James Newton

There's a lot to cover

Nintendo made a big song and dance about its new Wii U console reaching out to all gamers, and a big part of that is going to be support from third party publishers. Through an on-stage video we already know about several third-party games on the way to Nintendo's new home console:

• Ninja Gaiden 3
  • Darksiders II
  • Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online
  • Tekken
  • Metro Last Light
  • Aliens Colonial Marines
  • Assassin's Creed
  • Batman: Arkham City
  • Dirt

Not a bad start, eh?

2-D

2-D said:

Arkham City. Never thought I'd see the day.
Colour me excited!

Ren

Ren said:

nice. The video was cool too. I hope I can see it in proper resolution soon to see what this thing can really do. They kept away from showing the console itself, though. It must not be done yet.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

Wow, none of those games appeal to me. At least Zelda Wii U looked incredible....But that bird demo was just jaw dropping, that's if it was in-game.

Archy

Archy said:

The name of the console totally disappointed me. They started awesome, but what came after that confused me as hell. Is the controller the new console, is Wii U the name of the controller and will the actual thing bare a different name, hope so.

b_willers

b_willers said:

Does anyone know if the touch screen resistive or capacitive and does it have multi touch?

ADaviii

ADaviii said:

I'm most excited for Ninja Gaiden and Tekken! I will have Nintendo's Wii U if the price is right! Let's hope Nintendo delivers Wii U at a mass market price!

Dream World $199!
More Possible World $250!
Let's Hope Not World $300-$599

nefisto

nefisto said:

I was disappointed because I expected more from the presentation of a new console and the cause of this is that only showed the control and the console did not show or give your specifications but what if I like that it's compatible with all accessories Wii and is compatible with games that reassures me maybe for the tgs show more of the console.

ADaviii

ADaviii said:

@Archy

The controller is not the new console. It is, however, the controller of the new console. They did not show off the new console today and the console that was used in the promo videos was not the final look of the actual console. Wii U is the official name of the console as a whole rather than just the controller itself.

What Nintendo didn't really stress as much was that the Wii Remote and Nunchucku will work on Wii U as well as Wii. I have no idea if the Wii U controller will work on the original Wii, but it doesn't seem super likely.

Hopefully this answered some of your questions :)

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

It's fascinating, but I'm underwhelmed in general with everyone's E3 showing this year. Where was Paper Mario? Animal Crossing? Solid dates for Kid Icarus and Mario?

Wii U, at this point, to me anyway, just seems like something they should have done with 3DS connectivity instead of a glorified iPad of a controller.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

Nintendo's 2010 E3 was much better. The best thing to come out of them this year was Luigi's Mansion 2, Super Mario 3D and Mario Kart 3D as far as the 3DS is concerned, and we already knew about 2 of those. Not much suprises, and the Wii got no lovin...As for the Wii, the announcement of SSB 4 got me insanely excited, that Zelda Wii U clip was incredible looking and that bird demo was absolutely jaw dropping....

But that trailer of those titles that seem to have rubbed off the PS3 left a bad taste in my mouth. I expected to see some tech demo's of mario Wii U, just give us something instead of that 3rd party viloent gritty crap. and where was PIKMIN 3!? wtf Nintendo.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I'm most excited about Tekken. That has never been on a Nintendo console, and it's so good to hear that it finally will be on one now.

armoredghor

armoredghor said:

I think on all the videos in which we saw the actual controller, it was a peripheral running on wii whereas the actual new games & clips were running on the new console.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I don't care for any of those. I hope some 360/ps3 games that I do care about get released on the wii U, like Bayonetta, Tales of vesperia/graces/xillia, Catherine, Eternal sonata, Scott Pilgrim vs. the world etc.

arrmixer

arrmixer said:

I'm sold on batman and ninja gaiden... if can get any dragon age or mass effect would be also happy...

VoltSlash

VoltSlash said:

I'm shocked to see stuff like Darksiders and Tekken on a Nintendo system. Meh, even though I think this "free from tv" gimmick is absurd, I'll have to get it for the games.

jayjay99

jayjay99 said:

batman arkam city!!!!....assasins creed!!!! ninja gaiden!!!! aaaaaaahhhhhhh!!! lmao* my pockets r gunna hate me after this!

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Nothing a 360 owner such as myself would be interested in, but I'm glad the Nintendo Loyalists won't miss out on as much now.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Yeah, looks very promising. I wonder about Assasins creed: Will this be a port of the first one, the latest version, or just a alternative? If it's a port of the first one, hopefully it is a good port. In the past I got excited for Farcry coming to wii only to be very dissapointed: It was a awful port from what I have seen/read!

Deviant_Mugen

Deviant_Mugen said:

Nice to see third-parties jumping on the bandwagon now that HD is on the table. Hopefully Bethesda will toss their hat into the ring with ports of Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas...

@James: "Through an on-stage video we already know about several third-party games on the way to Nitnendo's new home console:" In your excitement, it looks like you made a tiny slip-up... :P

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

Would of loved to see a little RE6 snippet....And no thanks to Ninja Gaiden III, Lego's 'whatever', Batman, Ghost Recon especially and blah blah.

That Alines title looked pretty rad, but if it doesn't support Wii Remote controls I'll be passing...Then again, Shooters just don't float my boat.

thesignpainter

thesignpainter said:

"the system is departing the station. please step away from the doors."
batman runs up slipping though the doors at the very last second!

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Tekken is my fav fighting series of all time so that's ultra cool. Besides that its only Arkham City I'm interested in. Cool for the "core" but don't forget the rest of us (ie. in cluding the middle-ists who play a proportion of select games from BOTH casual and core stables)

JimLad

JimLad said:

It's a good start. Not necessarily BioShock or GTA 5, but what did you expect.

Ancoma

Ancoma said:

This is truly a good new, the Wii was suffering from not having recent "blockbusters" in it's catalog, even if I don't necessarily like them it should attract more gamers.

phoenix1818

phoenix1818 said:

You can also add Battlefield 3 to that list. It was shown during the press conference in the background during the 3rd party video. EA President John Riccitiello also talked about what they could do with Battlefield 3 on the Wii U, saying it would include the same graphics and online features as the other versions.

Crunc

Crunc said:

But all these games will have been out on the PS3 and Xbox for a year before the Wii U is even released. Why is anyone excited about this? And odds are that the Wii U is going to cost more then PS3 and 360, so you could save yourself a lot of money and buy one of those if you don't already have it, and play these games much earlier as well. What we need are announcements of new games, especially exclusives.

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

Dont forget Lego City Stories, Freak Aliens From Outerspace, Pikmin 3 (although you already made that one clear on your webstie), and some EA titles (maybe Battlefield 3 or sports).