New Smash Bros. Announced for Wii U and 3DS

Posted by James Newton

Series goes portable at last

Years of wailing have paid off: Nintendo just announced a new entry in the Super Smash Bros. series is coming to the 3DS.

Not only that, it will also launch on Nintendo's next home console, the Wii U.

Nintendo President Satoru Iwata made the announcement on stage at E3, where he also revealed that the 3DS and Wii U games will be cross compatible in some way, though as the game is still only very, very early in development not much more was revealed.

Still, portable Smash Bros. in 3D? That'll do nicely.

Samholy

Samholy said:

orgasmic news.

THE game i was sure to never see on my 3DS. and they confirmed it !

Azikira

Azikira said:

Looks like Nintendo took my advice on cross-compatability :D
Gives Nintendo a 1Up for being such a good listener

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

(Hears announcement about new Smash Bros.)
YYEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!
(Hears that no trailer is made yet)
...STILL YES!!!!

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Even though I originally prefered Smash Bros. 4 to be for a home console since that's how the series has been, it's still good that they are compromising by allowing it for both systems. This is definitely one of the best reveals of the conference!

OverlordMao

OverlordMao said:

"Coming into your hands"
...That was unexpected O.O (might wanna edit that. anybody?)
P.S. AWESOME NEW SMASH BROS AHGBAJGJABJGAADA :)

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

Smash 3DS. Finally a reason to buy the 3DS. Now give me three more reasons and I might actually buy it.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I'll get the wii U version since smash bros. is better suited for home consoles for easier local multi-player.

Kevin

Kevin said:

I'll be sticking with the Wii U version. The thought of playing it on a handheld doesn't feel right.

armoredghor

armoredghor said:

They've already shown that the system will support 5 player multiplayer but will it support 8... Honestly I'd trust it on either platform but don't expect for at least 3 years considering Project Sora hasn't even finished Uprising.

LuigiTheGreenFire

LuigiTheGreenFire said:

I think I just went into a coma. TWO NEW Smash Bros. games?????!!!!!!!!!!!

YYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Henmii

Henmii said:

"Years of wailing have paid off"

Well, years....Brawl was only a short time ago. It wouldn't be good if we got a new version every year!

But I am happy that it will be back, and I am really hoping for a big graphical leap (speaking about the wii u version)!

SunnySnivy

SunnySnivy said:

Awesome. I'm not a huge fan of Smash Bros but I do enjoy them and will probably pick up the 3DS version. My brother is going to freak though, he's spent countless hours playing Melee and Brawl.

I love how crazy the crowd went as soon as he said "Smash Brothers". :D

Cr0ssbows

Cr0ssbows said:

Finally, a smash bros for a handheld... even after all those people told me it would never happen it's finally here!!! And from the looks of the picture it looks like Mewtwo will once again be joining the fight.

Deviant_Mugen

Deviant_Mugen said:

New Smash Bros., you say? Awesome. I wonder what look Samus will sport in this one, Prime Trilogy or Other M... perhaps both will be offered? That would be swell...

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

All styles for Samus would be cool. I like where this is going. I knew they would make another one. I was smart for selling Brawl when I did months ago.

phoenix1818

phoenix1818 said:

Good idea to have cross-platform play, but I think I'll stick with the Wii U version. Hopefully we'll find out more soon.

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

Cross play is probably the most exciting feature I've seen with the WiiU. I would be very excited if you saw the kind of connect-ability PS3 and Vita will have.

cheese

cheese said:

If the gameplay is melee-esque, this will be a day one buy for me. Long live Melee.

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

@Sushi You aren't picky, now are you? :P (Admittedly, you have a point, but the way you presented your opinion is what I'm picking on here.)

Regardless, I'm happy. I'll probably end up getting both games since I'm a huge Smash Bros. fan.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Oh boy... I really don't think the Cpad is ready for that kind of abuse though I LOVE the idea of portable SSB. I may just wait for the console version but... we'll see.

Traxx

Traxx said:

Booouuuh. Smash Bros clearly is a stationary console franchise. They do a big mistake there.
From a marketing standpoint, it's actually not that dumb limit the full Pokemon experience to handhelds. If the they unlock Smash Bros to handheld, Nintendo's home consoles will lose a big system seller in the long run...

Hortencio

Hortencio said:

@Traxx
No... stop typing, this rules.
Also, who wants to bet there will be exclusive characters for both the 3DS and Wii U that can ONLY be unlocked (on the other) in you have both editions and sync them together? Damn it, looks like I'll have to get a 3DS after all, curse my love for this ONE game!!!

Her0ofTime3D

Her0ofTime3D said:

That one, ill be preordering for 3ds as ASAP! Oh, and "Traxx", you have no Idea what you're talking about. It will be great. And last, those of you without a profile picture, GET ONE! C'mon! Any picture of Link or Mario will do.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

We need custom characters. Make a mii or something, equip it with a move set, and then exchange and trade them over Nintendo wifi. If done right it could work out really well.

kirby95

kirby95 said:

This is going to be so awesome. I love playing brawl so this will be even better. I'm looking very forward to the new stages and characters they.have. And I like the sound of crossing over to the 3DS. The possibilities are endless.

twister2

twister2 said:

i am writeing this on my 3ds and this is the second best thing i have herd of. i am a big smash bros fan i play melee and brawl on my wii and i love them. i also like to play them with my brothers... my smash brothers lol... this news is awsome!!!