Japanese Virtual Console list - April 2011

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

Square and Capcom battle for supremacy

You've already heard that a Chrono Trigger is coming to Virtual Console in Japan next month, but that's not the only thing to get excited over.

Capcom is also releasing a big title next month, which happens to be the first of another series many have requested to make an appearance on the service. Here's a hint: It's the successor to a series of (mostly) NES games, with the same title plus an X tacked on the end. Aside from these two, there's only one more game, and it's another Neo Geo fighter.

The full list of games Japan will be getting next month is:

Super Famicom:

• Chrono Trigger — One of the last VC-eligible games from Square's side of Square Enix, this is regarded by some as one of the best games of all time, and recently got a DS rerelease/remake.
  • Mega Man X — The first successor series to the original Mega Man, this one is a bit more action-packed and includes moves like dashing and wall-jumping, but otherwise still has the same general setup of going through eight stages in any order before tackling the final areas.

Neo Geo:

• King of the Monsters 2 — Of course, the sequel to King of the Monsters, this one has ten characters instead of six and has some other minor gameplay changes.

Let's hope these make it elsewhere soon enough.

[via nintendo.co.jp]

Xkhaoz

Xkhaoz said:

Wow, they're getting 2 great SNES games. Hopefully they'll cross the ocean and come to NA and EU. :)

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Its about time that we get some of these games. I for one have been waiting along time for both Chrono Trigger and Megaman X to come to VC. My only question is why didnt the finish the original Megaman series first?

Xkhaoz

Xkhaoz said:

@Tasuki Maybe they're going through all the Mega Mans by time instead of series. X came before 5 and 6 I think...

pixelman

pixelman said:

Man I hope we get these along with FFIII and the Lufia games. Nice to finally see some life in the VC. :3

Link79

Link79 said:

Bout time Mega man X showed up. Now I wait for Mega man X3.
The X collection disc had the PS1 version of X3 with remixed music that was just terrible. The Snes game sounded much better. It's still my favorite of the X series. Love that thrilling intro where you play as Zero!
Until that one is released I'll just have to wait for X1.

Cia

Cia said:

They should have released these a long time ago, among a host of other big names. Well, better late than never.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

About time they started dealing with the MegaMan X games, loved those. (even though I never beat any of them, lol)

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

@Xkhaoz: Might have a point there but I think MM5 came out before MMX. I know that Megaman 6 came out after Megaman X, which is one of the reason Capcom didnt do the NA port of the game and Nintendo did it instead.

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

Mega Man X? Awesome! Bring it AND Chrono Trigger over!

...actually, I don't know if I would buy Chrono Trigger... I mean, I took playthrough after playthrough to get my characters as high as they are and they aren't even maxed out...

...oh, who am I kidding? I'd download it in a heartbeat! <3

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

Mega Man X, aka the only good one in the series?
I want it, NAOW.

DiggerandIndy

DiggerandIndy said:

It's been 5 years since the Virtual Console came out, and there's hardly a Mega Man X game at all...until now. Hopefully, both of the games will come here, too! :-D

vdallos

vdallos said:

Yes...finally Chrono trigger!!!..but when it comes to America?...I´m waiting for FFIII and is not here yet....
How many endings this time??

Oh. Megaman X is the best of the series IMHO

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

KaiserGX wrote:

Oh and KOTM 2 has 3 characters... you should fire the guy who wrote this >:(

there's only three heroes, correct, but there's ten characters in the game overall. please, lighten up.

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

Mega Man X is not only my favorite game in the X series, but also my favorite Mega Man game of all time. :) It's a really good experience, and the secret weapon is really cool. :) Awesome soundtrack, too; first Mega Man title I've ever beaten.
Also, Chrono Trigger's fantastic as well. :)

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

@6. Link79 I thought X3 is the Saturn version? Either way, that music SUCKED to me too and I agree the SNES version had better music. When I heard Blizzard Buffalo's and Toxic Seahorse's non-SNES versions, I wanted to just hit the mute button :D

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

Yeah, I really don't understand why Capcom emulated the PlayStation version of Mega Man X3 to the Mega Man X Collection instead of the SNES original (unless it was to show off the FMV cutscenes).

Link79

Link79 said:

@ Starboy91
The cutscenes in X3 were kinda nice but most would agree the music of the non Snes version was butchered badly.
I wanted to cry when I heard it. :(

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

Regardless, Mega Man X3 is still quite a difficult game; the final boss Sigma was a total monster in that game (I can still recall it vividly, though I only beat the game once).

Link79

Link79 said:

@ Starboy91
It was only difficult If you didn't get Zero's Saber at the end. With that thing he's a joke. I used to think that boss was impossible too until I found out that little secret. It almost takes the fun out of it though.

Lotice-Paladin

Lotice-Paladin said:

Surprised they didn't release 6 and charge 100 points for it to EU members, still...nice to see a spin-off of the main series debut after 5 years!

brainofj

brainofj said:

Oh, snap. KOTM2 and Mega Man X (which I never got to play, being a Genesis kid) ... maybe I'll be needing some Wii points soon after all!

Knux

Knux said:

Oh man, I hope Mega Man X and Chrono Trigger are released on the VC in the west.

Megaman256

Megaman256 said:

I hope they release Final Fantasy III, Chrono Trigger, and Megaman X in the states. That would be awesome if they would also gives Megaman 5 and 6 for the Nes!

Link-Hero

Link-Hero said:

Good, finally these game are coming to the VC, but how about Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, and Terranigma? These should also come to the VC too.

motang

motang said:

I don't really care about Chrono Trigger as I have it on the DS, but Mega Man X...awesome! Hopefully an US release isn't too far off.

NassaDane

NassaDane said:

Good a third chance to get another Chrono Trigger. I'm pretty satisfied with my SNES one and DS one. But I still will be happy for it to come to over here. Its sorta the best game ever right next to Orcarina of Time. They better sell it at a high price.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Damn Japan seems to get all the great VC games while we are falling behind just cuz NOA wanted more WiiWares.

Crouteru

Crouteru said:

Chrono Trigger should have been released on the Virtual Console two years ago instead of wasting time with the DS version.

KingMike

KingMike said:

I guess there's not much interest in the remaining Square games: 3D World Runner (and its Japanese-only sequel), Rad Racer (and the NA-only sequel) and Secret of Evermore?

Kurachi

Kurachi said:

i love to see CT coming this year to all VC's, and hoped for it to come, but yea, we could've guessed it'd come :D

BrickRockwell

BrickRockwell said:

Awesome. I'm down for all 3 games. I REALLY hope they release Mega Man X2 though; that was my fave X game. X3 just had a little too much going on, imo

JDesensitized

JDesensitized said:

I'm expecting 10/10's for both. Don't disappoint Nintendo Life. :p

The best action platformer and RPG of all time. Can't wait to see people whining when these two classics hit.