Super Meat Boy Will Miss November Launch Window

Posted by James Newton

Game proving tricky to tenderise below 40MB

Team Meat's bloody platformer Super Meat Boy has well and truly caught gamers' attention, stacking up rave reviews and selling well on its Xbox Live Arcade debut. Sadly the studio has just announced the game won't launch on WiiWare in November as originally proposed:

attention internets, the wii version is NOT coming out in Nov its impossible. we havent even gotten the size down under 50mb yet (goal=39mb)

This isn't the first time we've seen WiiWare's restrictive size limit prove to be a stumbling block for developers, but let's hope that Team Meat doesn't have to trim the game's tastiest bits to get the package below 40MB.

[via twitter.com]

Aviator

Aviator said:

It still amazing how much they can compress. The 360 version is 180mbs I believe, so without teh internets, I'm guessing it wouldn't be that a big a difference. Still, just get the PC one.

2-D

2-D said:

Awww man! I was really looking forward to that

(still, I find it funny that it's tagged under disappointment :D)

RyuZebian

RyuZebian said:

Dang it Nintendo! You should have given up the limit when you made it possible to play games from sd cards! :(

SuperMarioFan96

SuperMarioFan96 said:

WAAAAAAT?! Corbie put a smiley face next to his "I think there will be an interesting twist in the Super Meat Boy saga" or whatever it is he said. Why Nintendo, WHY!?!?!??!? Your stupid limit is ruining WiiWare! AAAARRRGGGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!
Take it easy, take it easy, take it easy.....

Aviator

Aviator said:

@RyuZebian The Wii doesn't actually run games straight off the SD card, it loads the game onto the Wii and plays it through the Wii still, it just boots up on the SD card.

WWammy

WWammy said:

They can't yet because playing from sdcards is half arsed. It loads into the Wii memory first and doesn't play from the SDcard. So theoretically they could only up the limit to 512mb max but that said they couldn't do that either because other channels mandatory channels are taking up that memory. I hope that Meat boy manages to retain the full game in under 40mb

Yadoking

Yadoking said:

The PC version will probably be pretty great then since there isn't a restriction on file size.

Aviator

Aviator said:

Well, neither does the X360 version, but the PC version has the level editor, so it wins.

wes008

wes008 said:

I emailed them last week and they said that the wiiware version would be the full game, but it seems like that is not the case anymore. Looks like I'll have to get the PC version :(

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

Yeah, once I played this on the Xbox I was pretty much convinced there was no way WiiWare was going to get the full experience. Hopefully it won't be gimped too badly, but, honestly, if you can play it another way...you might want to do that instead. The Xbox version has free DLC and is out right now...and the PC version, as mentioned above, has a level editor.

jkshaz

jkshaz said:

@Chicken
Good point. I think that pretty much settles how I will be attempting to play this. And it won't be on wiiware.

RyuZebian

RyuZebian said:

@Aviator
I know. It may seem unnecessary to reply, but I just want to prove to the world that I do actually know that! Indeed there is no way for any of you to prove that I didn't know, but just take my word for it! :)

imapterodactyl

imapterodactyl said:

Incredibly lame. If Nintendo doesn't GREATLY improve it's online strategy with it's next system, I'll be avoiding it like the plague. I was actually really hoping to grab Meat Boy on PSN, but as it turns out, Sony apparently showed no interest, so my only other option is my brother's X-Box (which is only a temporary solution as he's just rooming with us, well, temporarily). PC is a no go as I want to play on my large LCD in the living room, not my little monitor. And no, moving my PC closer to the tv and running video out is NOT an option, as I know that's what some wise-ass is going to tell me to do.

Man, I used to love my Wii, but lately it's just become a fat string of disappointments.

Aviator

Aviator said:

@19 Why is it not an option to do video out on your LCD?

Also, I recommend you pick up the PC version over the 360. The 360 gets the best community created levels to download, yet on the PC, you can get all community created levels.

And this will come to WW, soon, but I don't think quality is that much of an issue, only if it looks better than Meat Boy, I would buy it on WW.

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

SNES games were also programmed and optimized in totally different ways. The amount of content (and music, and cinemas, and overlapping replay features...) are also not comparable to any SNES game I remember.

Tethers

Tethers said:

I have to agree with benanen, why don't they release the half of the game and the rest as free dlc?

accc

accc said:

Yeah Wiiware's size limit sucks but this really doesn't seem like the type of game that they should have trouble fitting under a handful of megabytes, let alone 40... seems like sloppy programming on their part. The PC game Gish (which was made by Team Meat members) was only 42 MB and that game featured more advanced graphics, gameplay, music etc. than Super Meat Boy.

Objection

Objection said:

If I do get it, it probably won't be on Wii, as if they're already having this much trouble, the finally version's gonna be rough. :(

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

never heard about this filesize limit being an issue before!! ;)

Nintend--next time around, please be a bit more future-proof with your design.

@Bulb - games must be under 40mb. SD support doesn't expand on that or matter since it really just swaps that game from SD memory into regular console memory. The only way it can go beyond 40mb is with DLC expansions.

irken004

irken004 said:

I'd get the PC version, but I like using a controller. My PC controller sucks. But the PC version has the level editor.... AUGH too many decisions!!!

WarioFan63

WarioFan63 said:

If it was possible for Nintendo to increase the limit, solely because of SD Cards, that would alienate consumers without one. I doubt Nintendo wants to sell games that could only be played off the SD Card, or cause mass deleting of almost everything but the mandatory channels.

JayArr

JayArr said:

"Game proving tricky to tenderise below 40MB"

WiiWare version is going to be garbage in comparison. Sad they have to massacre a brilliant game.

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

@Wariofan

SD cards aren't that expensive, so I don't see why it would be a big deal when there's a HUGE library available on WW that are under 40 MB. You don't have to own all that many 40 MB games before you need one anyways. The big issue is piracy for them. Hopefully, since the 3DS has been announced to run games straight from an SD card (and they seem to be emphasizing that feature with an SD card being included), after that releases you'll see an update for Wii allowing it.

JebbyDeringer

JebbyDeringer said:

I wonder what format the music tracks are in. I imagine they are either mp3 or something like it. The music tracks in SNES games had to fit into the 64kb of memory the sound hardware had to work with.

fixjuxa

fixjuxa said:

Well, that blows. Hard. I couldn't be anymore amped up for this game and now it turns out it's coming later than expected and likely watered down at that. What a kick in the nuts!

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

Why did nintendo have to put such stupid size limits on their download services? Because of this, we're missing out on Scott Pilgrim and we'll probably get a watered down version of super meat boy or have to pay extra for dlc to get the full version.

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

I guess this is what Nintendo gets for choosing such a small size limit. I'll get the PC version if my USB controller works with it

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

That sucks, but I'm too busy playing other stuff at the moment anyway, so this delay works for me.

SuperMarioFan96

SuperMarioFan96 said:

I know they can't raise the limit too high because of the way games are played even if they're saved to the SD card but I feel like they could at least move it up by a small amount maybe to 80 MB? Is this really too much to ask Nintendo!!?!?!?

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

I actually do think that they are probably going to cancel the WiiWare version. Perhaps Team Meat put this information out so people can see that they are having difficulty getting the game to fit the WiiWare's restrictive size limit. If the game does get cancelled they can just say: Don't blame us, we tried.

ReddLionz

ReddLionz said:

God. Why can't they raise the memory limit? I don't care if I have to wait 3 more seconds when loading from the SD card. Whatever, I'll just wait until I get a 360...

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

Sounds like terrible programming to me...there are a number of Wii Ware titles that play better and look better than Super Meat Boy out there yet they can fit under the limit.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Super Meat Boy is a HUGE game. Once you experience it all, you'll understand why it's so large. I guarantee it. And the twist might still be coming. :)

0-Watt

0-Watt said:

I'd say cut the game in half and sell it in episodes. 700 pts a piece. Sounds apt. I knew this would happen the moment Team Meat said "Hey, we're focusing on the XBLA version." Bad idea, if they ever wanted to fit into WiiWare's restrictions. Still, if they can get it to work somehow, that's fine. Still funny: first announced version comes last.

OverlordMao

OverlordMao said:

"Hey, let's release Meat Boy for wiiware!"
"Hey, let's release meat boy for xbox live!"
"Hey, let's cut EVERYTHING COOL out of meat boy for wiiware because of the size limit!"
>:(

Skrubber

Skrubber said:

I'm just going to go ahead and buy the game on Steam. I dont see would why anyone would want to buy the inferior Wii version, considering how easy it is to hook up a wiimonte to a computer.

James

James said:

I think I know what the twist will be, and I'm not sure I like it.

Aviator

Aviator said:

There hasn't been any news on that there cutting stuff out of the game. There no reasons to complain that this version will be inferior because it won't have the same content.

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

Just make it a $30 retail release with a $15 rebate at our nearest butcher. Or they could bundle it with a "meat" Wii remote skin to make up for the fact that we're being asked to pay double for what should have been a downloadable game. Problem solved.