This is the Greatest Mario Collection We've Ever Seen

Posted by James Newton

1,000 plumbing items all under one roof

Mario's face has been on more merchandise than you can imagine, making it hard – not to mention expensive – for dedicated fans to track down those must-have pieces. That makes the achievement of 11-year old Oscar Bown from the UK all the more incredible, as he's amassed a Mario collection containing over 1,000 unique items.

With vinyl figures, soundtrack CDs, rare Japanese merchandise, stacks of games and more items than we have room to describe, this is truly a collection of the highest order. Oscar, all the staff at Nintendo Life take their Mario hats off to you: you're truly a Mario master.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

considering he's only 11, i'd imagine his folks pick up most of the tab... i bet a good portion of that is birthday/xmas presents, too, so perhaps his whole family has chipped in by now :3

Denkou

Denkou said:

@ Big A2: but if that happened, he would need all the merchandise available for zelda games too........ and then that would stink.

DrCruse

DrCruse said:

Why? Why collect all of this stuff? What good will a bajillion Mario figures do for you?

Whoever bought this stuff has way, way to much money and has no good place to spend it. If I had all of that stuff, I would sell 99% of it. Personally, I collect videogames, because you can actually do stuff with them. And I'm a perfectionist, and video games store in nice neat rows in alphabetical order. Unlike this junk that would clutter up his bed room :/
Besides, half of those tiny Mario figures look almost identical.

I envy the amount of spending money he has, not his stuff :P

SMEXIZELDAMAN

SMEXIZELDAMAN said:

/me steals off all the mario stuff and sells it for rupees. /me Then puts a copy of Legend of Zelda The WindWaker in front of this kid and tells him to go to tingle island :P

James

James said:

Good question - why would an 11-year old boy want to collect merchandise of his favourite character? I just can't think of an answer.

DrCruse

DrCruse said:

I understand why he would want to collect all of the Mario games, but really, why buy him hundreds of Mario figures?

NGpenguin

NGpenguin said:

hes a lucky kid .... i tried to get mario monopoly and its realy hard to do! i have around 20 mario items but thats nothing compaired to his stuff (do i see a hammer bro bobble head ? :D )

Big_A2

Big_A2 said:

I have, like, a crappy Luigi plush and some coastes that came with a magazine.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@JesusSaves: That's between him and his family, isn't it? other than the sheer amount of items collected, how is him collecting Mario stuff any different from other things people collect? :3

Zach

Zach said:

If I ever want to rekindle my love of video games, I'm coming straight to this video. I've been a bit stressed out for the past few days, trying to cope with graduate school while maintaining the other things that are important to me - my fiancee, friends and, of course, Nintendo Life - and something about seeing all those neat retro figures and hearing that orchestrated Mario 64 music just brought a smile to my face (and, if I hadn't forced it back down out of embarrassment, a tear to my eye) and made my soul feel happy. It's kind of silly that a corporate mascot or a children's toy could do this, but I guess when Mario's so tied up with your long gone days of childhood, it can really have an effect on you. Anyway, this is great, and I am very happy now. :-) Congratulations, Oscar, at being the coolest 11 year old in school! Oh, and Oscar's dad, if he ever gets to an age where he's "too cool" for Mario, say around age 16 perhaps, do NOT let him get rid of this stuff, because he will regret it for the rest of his life.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

Guys, if you've got nothing better to do than insult an 11-year-old, I suggest you not say anything at all. :|

dangermouseuk78

dangermouseuk78 said:

I guess its alrite if you have the money to do that sorta thing and at 11 wonder if he even understands what hes got there other than its got something to do with mario on it.

Im sure lots would love to have a collection like that altho i prefer to have stuff i can use and not collect dust lol.

Must of cost a fortune that tho im sure theres already been the assumption of spoilt much and very doubt a 11yr could afford that on his own, as i dunno what pocket money kids are getting these days i was lucky to get a fiver lol wouldnt of gotten that much .

DrCruse

DrCruse said:

I'm all for collecting stuff if you can actually use it for something (i.e. Mario clock, drinking mug, NES bag, books, games etc) but most of his collection is made up of useless figurines and plush toys.

47drift

47drift said:

I would love to get my hands on that figure of Mario with Fludd riding Yoshi.

Natie31

Natie31 said:

I think its a good thing and if he is a big fan then i think its great. I never seen half the things he have im over 29 and wish i can do the same im a big mario fan myself. If my son wanting those things then i give him all plus more-) STOP BEIN JEALOUS!

Natie31

Natie31 said:

He is a lucky kid very lucky! I wish him best of luck and hope to never stop of gettin more to come!

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@JesusSaves: it takes all kinds to make the world go 'round, man. if he wants to collect plushies and figurines instead of (or as well as) games and things you can do stuff with, what's it to you? It's still a pretty impressive collection :3

LuWiiGi

LuWiiGi said:

He probably wanted you guys to notice him. It is an impressive collection though.

Punny

Punny said:

MAMA MIA! That's a lot of Mario stuff! It must be both a dream having all that merchandise and a nightmare dusting his room! :D

Lucky kid....

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

no way a kid can collect all of that on his own. most of that had to be his parents considering most of it was released before he was born. must be his dads collection.

also there is no ink stamp set with 8bit sprites like I have and absolutely no SMA4 e-reader cards that I saw (except the ones that come with the game) no japanese cards or even the ones in the us and promos for that matter..... so ha! I can brag too. :p

but pretty cool collection, that seems to have everything I've ever seen and more. except no bullet bill wristband, and lots of mario shirts are missing too. thats why I wouldn't even think about trying to collect everything. it can't be done.

DrCruse

DrCruse said:

All that I can see that he is missing is Nintendo Uno, and this Donkey Kong RC Kart I saw a while ago.

HvE

HvE said:

I would like that Monopoly game.
I have one of those keychain bullet bills!
Now I'll just have to collect all the other stuff too...

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Didn't anyone else notice... He doesn't have a single N64 game! :O how can he call that a collection w/o any N64 games? The closest N64 thing I saw was an in-case N64 mario kart figurine... :-P

DrCruse

DrCruse said:

@46
Yeah that's weird... He doesn't have any NES or N64 games :O
He doesn't even have Super Mario World or Super Mario All Stars SNES :O

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

1:35-36 There are Mario lego-esque scenes similar to this. They look similar to the pieces shown here, & use magnets to hold the pieces to a background scene from SMB.

imapterodactyl

imapterodactyl said:

That's a very nice collection if you're reading this, Oscar. You should try to squeeze in a little more old '80s Mario stuff though, if you can find it. You've got tons of awesome stuff in the picture, but it's mostly pretty new stuff.