Cing Goes Bankrupt

Posted by James Newton

Over ¥200m owed by Hotel Dusk developer

Gloomy economical times have led to the early check-out of Hotel Dusk developer Cing, who recently filed for bankruptcy having amassed debts of over ¥200m (approximately $2.2m or £1.3m.)

Despite releasing several critically-acclaimed titles, including Hotel Dusk follow-up Last Window and the Another Code series, as well as co-developing the masterful Little King's Story, it seems the developer couldn't keep its head above water and has sadly closed its doors.

We here at Nintendo Life hope the staff of Cing find their way back on their feet in no time.

[via joystiq.com]

Objection

Objection said:

I hope they can somehow recover from this. Perhaps releasing Trace Memory Wii and Last Window internationally would help. It'd make me happy, at least.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

That really sucks, but times are tough all over and gaming isn't immune to the economic downturn we're all going through.

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

Well, this is a downer-way to start the morning. Hope things look up for them really soon. I was really looking forward to Last Window.

Yasume

Yasume said:

So emm, I guess we can wave goodbye to the possibility of them releasing Last Window in NA and the PAL region?

Objection

Objection said:

I think we might still see LW, as Hotel Dusk (unlike Trace Memory) did quite well and Nintendo could still publish it. I'm more worried that NA will never see TMWii (Another Code R)

RonF

RonF said:

That's sad but their games, despite the high quality, never found a big audience.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

I never finished Hotel Dusk. I suppose I should get around to that. As much as I wanted to love it, it fell a little flat to me at times, compared to the great humor and puzzles of classic point-and-click games. However, it was certainly a unique entry on the DS, and something I wish other developers would be brave enough to explore.

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

Hopefully these talented people can land on their feet as soon as possible, so they can get back to making great games.

Unca_LzStaff

Unca_Lz said:

I'm surprised Nintendo didn't just buy the company, but then again I'm not much of a business person

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

Noooooooooooooooo (deep breath) Noooooooooooooooooooo :(

@Iz
Nintendo rarely buys developers due to the fact that the talent behind the studios can always leave. (Rare, Retro, etc.)

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Oh frack. I'm sorry to hear/read that. They make some imaginative and high quality stuff. I actually really respect their work. These bad economic times suck razor blades. I hope any workers laid off are able to find new jobs soon.

Unca_LzStaff

Unca_Lz said:

@brandon: Are you referring to Retro Studios in those examples? If so, you should know that Nintendo does own them

I suppose you're right, but still....it might have been a good decision

Hardy83

Hardy83 said:

2.2 million? Really? Nintendo would be smart to bail them out and actually help them make games.
2.2 million is what Nintendo probably pay for toilet paper at their offices a year.

I can only imagine how amazing a Hotel Dusk type game would be if it was on the Wii and had VO.

Andor

Andor said:

It's a shame their games never had a big audience, I became an instant fan after playing Hotel Dusk and have been following them ever since. I really hope they can survive this somehow and continue making games, even if its not for Nintendo consoles.

Ren

Ren said:

No way. So last window will just fade away then? this is a text heavy game so it really needs paid staff to localize. Fan based localizations seem to take years. That's really sad, their games were so good and just with us waiting for the next installment, I hope there's some way to get it done.

James

James said:

Well, Cing wouldn't have been localising the game anyway but it does throw open questions of who owns the IP rights now. Nintendo have published many of their games in the past so if they've already begun translation (which I'm guessing they have) this hopefully won't jeopardise its arrival in the West.

Mqblank

Mqblank said:

Another Code was the reason I bought a DS, I played the Wii sequel over a weekend loving every minute, Hotel Dusk has one of the best art styles ever on the DS and Little King's Story (although I haven't finished it yet) is one of the most charming games on the Wii. I was greatly looking forward to the Hotel Dusk sequel and Again that was due to be released later this year. The saddest story for me so far this year (and that includes Activision being douches)

mattnd2007

mattnd2007 said:

NOOOOOOO. i never played any of the ds games since i don't own a ds. however Little King's Story was one of my favorite games so far this gen. Anyone who helped to make that game possible should be doing amazing, not going bankrupt. there's no justice in this world. hopefully they can make a comeback, i don't even care if they only make ds games again, they deserve to do well.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

That's really sad, but I can't help but wonder if it isn't partially their own fault for not releasing their games everywhere. I'm still mad North America didn't get Trace Memory 2. Can't even import it since it's on Wii instead of DS.:(

I really hope Last Window manages to find its way out West, but I doubt it. Here's hoping the folk in the company find new jobs fast, though.:)

madgear

madgear said:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!
I have all their games too :(

hopefully this doesn't mean the end for the Hotel Dusk sequel. Oh how I love Hotel Dusk.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

Man, this is extremely sad news. I loved Little King's Story and Hotel Dusk. I was really looking forward to seeing The Last Window and a sequel to Little King's Story but now that may never happen. It really sucks when good game companies like this go under and crappy ones like Activision thrive.:(

Mingo73

Mingo73 said:

I was really looking forward to Last Window, I hope it makes it to the US!

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

Aw, shoot! Trace Memory and Hotel Dusk were the kinds of games that the "casual" market should have been buying!

Attention, all literate humans! This stuff is good!

nix

nix said:

sad news, i enjoyed their games.
Was looking forward to the sequal of hotel dusk N.

grumblegrumble

grumblegrumble said:

Sign of the times... sadly... but hopefully they (like many others) will get going again some day soon...

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

@15
The ugly truth is that I'm a bit worried for Retro. Yes, Nintendo owns them, but two of their creative directors (Mark Paccini and some other guy) moved on supposedly to EA and their head art guy passed away. Every member counts imo.