English Girl Becomes Biggest Collector of Pokémon Memorabilia

Posted by Stuart Reddick

She caught 'em all - and then some

21 year old Lisa Courtney was declared the biggest Pokémon collector of them all by the Guinness Book of Records 2010 with over 12,000 items.

Courtney started collecting 'em all 13 years ago. She found it a relief from the bullying she suffered from school at the time due to a physical disability. Since Guinness last counted she has reported the collection has swelled to 13,400, with the 'mon literally filling the house she shares with mother Sharon.

To be in the new Gamer's Edition and to hold a world record for something you feel so passionate about is just an indescribable feeling. My family have been incredibly supportive considering the collection takes up the whole house, including my mother's room. I've even named the room where my main collection resides Pokémon Centre Europe.

She's visited Japan five times and intends to go again soon for another "spending spree". Her favourite object in her entire collection? "A plush toy of the character Absol.'' Atta girl.

[via telegraph.co.uk]

Trevor_Fox

Trevor_Fox said:

Wow. I thought I liked Pokemon. o_O A trip to Japan followed by a spending spree? I definitely don't have that kinda money.

y2josh

y2josh said:

Is that a Zubhat? :O
Edit: On closer inspection it does look like a Golbhat

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@y2josh: Looks more like a Golbhat to me.

Well, this is certainly...different. If she's happy and not in some kind of inane debt, I don't suppose it's really a PROBLEM as such. Just a bit odd. I wonder...what the heck is an "Absol?" Some post-Gold/Silver piece-of-crap Pokémon, I suppose? No bias here, no sir!:P

Rensch

Rensch said:

Absol is actually a very solid Drak-type Pokémon introduced in Ruby/Sapphire and of those few characters that do no fit in the crappy category.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@Rensch: Oh, really? Well, I guess there are a FEW that aren't so crappy...I kinda like Lucario, though that's pretty much entirely SSBB's fault.;)

TJtheHeretic

TJtheHeretic said:

y r all these fanppl in europe lol, i swear the guy with the most simpsons stuff is there as well

JayArr

JayArr said:

Is that a giant Snorlax doll in the middle of the picture? No, that's the girl. My bad.

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

Now THAT is the truest definition of the term 'Pokemaniac'! Good on ya, girl! Never give up the dream!

I give you a 21 Hyper Beam salute!

motang

motang said:

pretty cool, she could be sitting on a huge cash one of these days...

you know that is just eft up, kids can so freaking stupid at times!

William90

William90 said:

This was in the newspaper yesterday- she says her collecting help her cope when she was bullied

MayhemStaff

Mayhem said:

Pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pika... pikachu! ;)

Noire

Noire said:

So, when you walk into that room, it's like...

A wild every-Pokemon-you've-ever-seen-times-thirteen appeared!

pokeballs goooooooooooooo

Klapaucius

Klapaucius said:

That's insane. I thought I have a lot of Pokemon tat... but that is just plain insane.

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

So... many... EYES!! They watch me at night, I just know it.

Seriously though, I feel bad for this person, to have to fill the gap in her life with meaningless toys to be happy. I'm not making fun of her, it's just I kind of feel her pain as I use to be the same way. Eventually I realized my life was my own to take control of and I overcame and am still working on my inhabitions. She should step away from Pokemon collecting for a while and seek more from this world. So sad. T_T

ASDFGHJKL

ASDFGHJKL said:

Come on, give her a break. As long as shes happy and not hurting others, why there be a problem. Also, bullying someone who is physically disable? Now THAT is just plain wrong.

Rhansley64

Rhansley64 said:

Hmm, i think The Pokemon Company International should hired her as a spokes person for Pokemon Games and in other Pokemon media groups.

Lotice-Paladin

Lotice-Paladin said:

I'm happy for this girl but that is too much even by collecter standards.

I know she's disabled but if she's happy with her collection and people are treating her as if she's still a normal person then I am very happy for her.

This does remind me of another English collecter of Garfield stuff though...

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

Holy sh*t. That will scare any guy away faster than a girl talking about marriage on the first date.

DarkLink

DarkLink said:

This story was the national anthem on Steve Lamacq's show on 6 music (suggest songs based on a news story) My favourite suggestion was Loser by Beck. ROFLWTTD (Roll On Floor Laughing While Trying To Drive)

Morpheel

Morpheel said:

she must be stinking rich D:

... all i have is a pikachu plush doll that lost his nose...and checks...and one eye...