Nintendo Download: Final Fantasy, Even More Art, and Animal Crossing Apps (EU)

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

No love for the Virtual Console this week. Boooooooo!

Things were looking good for a short while - The VC seemed to be getting new games every week as of a month or so ago. But two weeks ago, and now again this week, there's not a single new VC game in sight - Please don't tell us Nintendo of Europe is going back to alternating VC and WiiWare weeks!

At least the WiiWare and DSiWare offerings this time are pretty good...

Final Fantasy IV: The After Years is meant to be a true sequel to Final Fantasy IV, originally released on the SNES (Though not in Europe) and recently remade on the DS. The After Years takes place 17 years after the original game, and includes many familiar faces. The "basic" pack will run you 800 Wii Points, but you'll have to cough up a lot more to see the whole game - There's 8 additional segments you'll have to download, which each cost 300 Wii Points, except for the last, which will cost 800. Only the first additional pack is available right now, the rest will be made available in the next months. Corbie will have a review up soon, so keep an eye out!

On DSiWare there's really just one new game. Art Style: KUBOS is the 5th DSiWare Art Style game, previously released in Japan as Art Style: nalaku. In this game, you control a little man as he runs around on a square platform. Dodge falling blocks, then push them around and climb on them in order to gradually reach higher and higher spots. Naturally, you need to try and go as high as you possibly can. KUBOS costs 500 DSi Points, just like the other DSiWare Art Style games. Just one Art Style left! We'll have a review up in the next few days.

You can also download two new apps on DSiWare today. The Animal Crossing Calculator and Animal Crossing Clock will each run you 200 DSi Points and will do exactly what their names say. Hardly exciting for anybody but the hardest of hardcore Animal Crossing fans, really! If you need convincing on why these just aren't worth the points, read our Animal Crossing Calculator review, and our Animal Crossing Clock review.

No retro goodness this week! Come on Nintendo, surprise us next week!

Related Games

VALERHU

VALERHU said:

animal crossing..?

edit: damnit why does this assassins creed ad keep popping up :|

y2josh

y2josh said:

At least the DSi got an extra game along with the clock and calculator. :)

NintendoGamer

NintendoGamer said:

Who in their right mind would ever download the Animal Crossing Calculator or Animal Crossing Clock? They are such useless apps and a complete waste of DSi Points.

Angelic_Lapras_King

Angelic_Lapras_King said:

Well, good they added an Art Style game with the Apps, but where's the VC love? :(

So what, 1 VC game every 2 weeks and Wiiware every week? Where's the fairness in that?!?!?

DrakeStaff

Drake said:

@ Relevant: For the last month or so the updates have been at 11 PM GMT instead. No idea why, the clocks went back so it's supposed to be at midnight like the last two years!

ToneDeath

ToneDeath said:

The VC is the Nintendo download service I'm most interested in, yet it seems to be getting the least focus recently. :(
At this rate, it wouldn't surprise me if they forgot about the Hanabi Festival this year.

worrybomb

worrybomb said:

Wow that sucks. No Virtual Console releases this week again for Europe. At least you guys get Final Fantasy IV: The After Years and another Art Style DSi game (one that I'm looking forward to playing). Here's to hoping you guys get a great VC release next week.

Terra

Terra said:

Square are just getting greedy. At least It's available if we want it now. That Art Style game sounds good though. Couldn't care less about the Animal crossing apps.

dangermouseuk78

dangermouseuk78 said:

wow how long before we get a dsiware only release day, 1 release for the wii its good if you own a dsi which i dont why cant they just do seperate days for wii and the dsi am starting to think of not bothing with wiiware and vc as we are getting nothin..

siavm

siavm said:

Where are the artstyle games for america? We have two and the rest of the world has 5 or 6. Come on nintendo. At least mario vs. dk is coming next week.

Objection

Objection said:

2 games and 2 apps. There have definately better and worse weeks, considering thtat the games look like good ones and the apps are useless.

Cheezy

Cheezy said:

Aww where are our Art Style games? Ah well, at least we have Flio Champs.

Cthuloops

Cthuloops said:

I'm not sure if I should get FFIV: TAY. I didn't really like FFIV that much to begin with, so I'm hesitant. :(

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

If you didn't like FF IV, avoid this WiiWare release. It's basically just more of the same with the ATB system tacked on.

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

I really thought the FF4 After Years would drop on DSi condisering the remake of 4 was on DS. This makes me want to go out and buy another Wii right now but cant cause I dropped another 400 on a PS3 for my living room yesterday cause I put my other PS3 in my gameroom in my new house. AAAAAHHHHH gota wait a long time too until the black editon of Wii comes out but im going to hold out.

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

Ok, this is starting to bother me. first they had D-CODE, then they had NEMREM, now they have KUBOS. Are you seriously kidding me!? How about a little Art Style love for us over here in America Nintendo!!!

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

No matter what others' opinions dictate, I still think this was a solid gold week of releases! You can be sure that I'll probably download each of these titles come Monday evening!

...I don't get paid till Monday...sigh... :|

Adam

Adam said:

Yea, I second WhoKnew's question.

Also, I want to know who approved the idea of giving each DSi Art Style game not only a ridiculous-sounding, nonsensical name, but also a different ridiculous-sounding, nonsensical name in each territory.

What exec at NoE decided, "Oh no, Nalaku sounds awful. Let's go with KUBOS"?

Without real names, it is impossible to remember which game is which, which is ultimately bad for Nintendo if people think they've downloaded a game already but actually haven't.

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

Not a bad week for EU, except for the AC apps, ew. Enjoy FFIV:TAY :)

@Adam
Yes, what with those ugly names for the DSi AS games?, at least the Wiiware AS ones make some sense.

thaneds

thaneds said:

nintendo have been going down the tubes, but with next week releases it should bump them up a little right before they give us crap. no matter, i love flipnote studio... lol

Kenji510

Kenji510 said:

Good update for you guys and u got another Artstyle game too... u guys getting lucky every week now... so, wheres our Artstyle games now for the US??... are they not giving it to us anymore or something?? KUBOS looks cool... now im waiting to get all 3 of those Artstyle games now... the D-CODE, KUBOS and NEMREM!! :p

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

YES!!!! I can buy an EU DSi and buy a second copy of both clocks!!!

It's a good day to have awful tastes!

Mama_Luigi

Mama_Luigi said:

I would have bought Final Fantasy IV, but that game is too expensive for me if i wanted the full game.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Its okay we didn't get any VC games this week when FF:TAY is near enough a VC game in itself.

Outrunner

Outrunner said:

Is flipnote studio the same thing as moving memo? When are we getting that? It's the reason I got a DSi and now it's nowhere to be seen.

ToneDeath

ToneDeath said:

Oh well, I bought StarForce instead. It's not BAD, just very, very OLD. Fingers crossed for Star Blade (is that it?) next week; looks cool.

And if Monkey Island is coming, then maybe, just MAYBE we can pray for the Star Wars arcade game (with pointer support!).

KDR_11k

KDR_11k said:

The only one I might buy is Kubos, pretty bad update.

EU release list state:
released: 2/12
updates remaining: 3

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

One WiiWare game? That's it? Well, my points can stay reserved then; I do want the FF game, but not until after I've had a shot at FFIV.

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

Worrying lack of VC (even though I'm not bothered about it much anyway), although I'm looking forward to the final Art Style game

Adamant

Adamant said:

Sean Aaron: Yeah, don't buy this until you've beaten FFIV. The game assumes you've done so, and will not only refer to events you're expected to know of, but also spoil important plot points.

City_Of_Delusion

City_Of_Delusion said:

does not understand post 45

It'll be safe to assume that VC is now fortnightly, which sucks. Judgement on FF4:TAY is reserved untill all of the episodes are released. It's always nice to see some Art Style, but the apps are 100%, quadruple distilled shovelware.

I'll like to see what happened to Chibi-Robo: Park Patrol, however. Isn't Skip the developers for both Chibi-Robo and Art Style?

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

Why are you guys only getting a single VC release every two weeks now? I don't get the logic in that and I fear the same thing will happen to North America in the near future.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

" I do want the FF game, but not until after I've had a shot at FFIV."

The GBA and DS game not enough? Nintendo can't be blamed if they give you the option of playing Final Fantasy IV but you're refusing to do so.

This is more likely to be first for those who played the DS game to graduate to and that if the SNES game was first, people would download that instead of this so they don't have to get the DLC.

Adam

Adam said:

Not everyone has a DS or GBA. It's not exactly an option to expect people to buy extra hardware just to play this, especially when the VC release has been confirmed to be in the future. Very strange of Nintendo.

Mach-X

Mach-X said:

why does everybody constantly forget that ffiv was also out for playstation?

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

I've only ever played three final fantasies in my life. Two on the DS and one on the PS2. I loved them, but then retired myself from RPGs as they took too much of my time! Still acknowledge they are a great kind of game. Anyway, I won't be going for the FF's, but Kubos on the other hand! That was on my insta-download list!

Not o bothered about VC, except Diddy Kong 64, Donkey Kong 64!