New Mighty No. 9 Trailer Builds The Hype as Keiji Inafune Talks of a Retro and Modern Fusion

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Same old pew-pew, but faster

As the weeks and months drift by we get closer to the release of Mighty No. 9, so close that certain Kickstarter backers will be receiving playable beta builds on PC right about now. The title seems to be making solid progress ahead of its arrival next year, which is sure to have action platformer — and Mega Man — fans with a Wii U or 3DS on alert.

That comparison to Mega Man has been made a great deal, for obvious reasons, though Mighty No. 9 will go its own way in various ways. One key move is a dash that allows you to absorb the energy of weakened enemies; as Keiji Inafune has explained to Polygon at PAX, that move is one aspect that demonstrates this title's shift towards modern trends. It's all about the pacing, it seems.

If you look at some of the older games from the 1980s, the original 8-bit and 16-bit games, they moved a bit slower. With modern games, everything is sped up quite a bit, whether it's frequent save points or the actual game speed itself. So we wanted to focus on making the actual core gameplay loops a lot faster.

That's [retro Mega Man] actually a very toned-down, slow pace compared to modern games. And now, even modern games and modern society, everything has sped up to the point where a game that moves along that slowly ... is probably too slow for what modern gameplay styles are.

So for every enemy, you're asking yourself: Do I dash? Do I shoot? That timing, that rock, paper, scissors element is always there. That core system has helped us develop a game that feels classic on one hand, but also moves at a much faster pace than old school games.

Let us know what you think of these comments, while below you can see this gameplay for yourself in the latest PAX trailer. This video is notable for showing more weapons in action, along with environments and stages that are clearly relatively far into development.

[via polygon.com]

Hy8ogen

Hy8ogen said:

I'm so going to buy this game!

By the way Thomas are you guys making an azure gunvolt review? That game has mixed reviews and I'm waiting for NL's review before making a decision.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@Hy8ogen

According to a Gunvolt forum thread, Philip is working on the review.

And I am loving how this one looks. Liking the music as well.

gaby_gabito

gaby_gabito said:

The 3-D environments in this game do look beautiful and stunning, but I have to say that to me they're not full of life. For how massive the environments are, comparatively speaking there are very few enemies and action in the background.

Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs said:

The polygons are still sapping the atmosphere and mood for me as an alternate universe Mega Man game

Reverandjames

Reverandjames said:

I-it's....Glorious!

Proof right there that you should immediately stop giving your money to capcom and support a game like this.

Shambo

Shambo said:

@Reverandjames If not for Monster Hunter 4, I'd say "What's this 'Capcom' you speak of?", since they've done little more than disappoint older fans/Nintendo fans, the past years.

DonSerrot

DonSerrot said:

Every time I see something from this game I'm reminded how glad I am that I jumped on the Kickstarter for it. I can't wait for it to be done!

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

So Capcom are suing Koei Tecmo, but apparently don't see any infringement on copyright with this game? Fair enough.

From what I've seen so far it does look VERY linear. Not sure if it looks that exciting in this day and age.

Jim_Purcell

Jim_Purcell said:

@MrGawain Capcom is suing Koei Tecmo over patent infringement. Mighty No.9 is similar to Mega Man, but not in way that violates copyright. Violating copyright would literally be calling your main character Rock Man, his partner Roll, and their creator Dr. Light.

Since Mighty No.9 doesn't do anything like that, its not a copyright violation.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Reverandjames Exactly. MH3U is my fave game of all time, so of course I have to buy MH4U when it releases.

But I am really ticked about RE Revelations 2 skipping all Nintendo platforms, after 3DS sold more than PS and Xbox and PC combined. Yet they bring it to all 3 of those platforms but NOT 3DS. And Wii U outsold PC version too I believe, and sold half what Xbox did, yet no Wii U version. And you gotta figure that more people would've bought it on Wii U if 800k Nintendo fans hadn't already scooped it up on 3DS.

This gets under my skin on a personal level, as someone who bought the game day one on both 3DS and Wii U. If it weren't for MH4U I'd boycott Capcom completely. I'll buy that one but Revelations 2 and all others, I'm buying used.

mamp

mamp said:

Looks cool but I will admit it's rather plain looking, I mean for a game that made millions in funding this is looking rather meh. I guess it just hasn't been polished yet so we'll see where it goes.

Donutman

Donutman said:

@MrGawain I hate to agree with this. I love retro gaming. Example...Shovel knight is awesome. But you are right able too short today. Too linear and too short despite being awesome. But if that is what you expect, then they are great. I am working on my 3rd play through of shovel knight. It's still fun...still kind of hard...but still a short game. I think I'm like 8 hours for almost 3 play throughs.

I am a mega man fan and am looking forward to m#9.

Reverandjames

Reverandjames said:

@JaxonH Same. For me, MH and Phoenix Wright are the only franchises that have stayed consistent. Every other franchise is used as a money pit. Street Fighter 4 is ridiculous, they seriously need to stop juicing that game now.
I really thought that capcom were getting resident evil back on track with revelations, but it seems like they are going back to their old ways with re-releases and half-baked sequels.
You can see why Inafune turned to kickstarter to fund Mighty No. 9. Capcom would never have a allowed a new IP like that or probably would have cancelled it if it was a Mega Man game.

Pod

Pod said:

Still could pack more visual oomph, but it's certainly gotten a long way.

Jim_Purcell

Jim_Purcell said:

@Reverandjames Ultra Street Fighter 4 is the last update. And updating the current incarnation every few years is the best thing Capcom can do. Can you imagine what kind of nightmare it would be to buy a whole new sequel every year or two instead? Or how stale a competitive fighting game would get if it didn't get a sequel for 5 years?

People complaining about fighting game updates don't actually play fighting games regularly I'd think.

Zapkido

Zapkido said:

Looks great, but the visuals need work. And the second theme they use in this video is awesome!

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

Looking a heck of a lot more interesting than it did, initially. Gunvolt is pretty rad, by the way. The only thing I don't like about it is how it doesn't automatically recognise the completion of the little challenges, unless you actually select it before going into whichever stage. It's particularly frustrating when you basically accomplish more than one, but the game has no idea, because you can only select one at a time.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

@Philip_J_Reed
It was Mega Man 9 for me.
Scratch that, my excitement for Mighty N.9 has dropped nearly 75% ;)

This looks like a lost & found PS2 game. :P The visuals look very mechanical and lifeless. Mega Man 7 & 8 on the otherhand actually feel Alive. I just don't really care for this game anymore to be honest.

Nicko174

Nicko174 said:

The game looks pretty fun, but i'm not a fan of the graphics. The environments look bland and lifeless.

__Link__

Link__ said:

Gonna pass on this game. I feel like every time I played it I would just yearn for a new MM game 😕

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

@JaxonH - I don't think you quite understand the idea of a boycott. It means purposefully not buying from them, even if you do have some interest in their titles. If you stop buying from them simply because you don't want any of their current games that isn't a boycott. It's supposed to be about not supporting them when you want their products to stand by a principle.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

@MrGawain - Linear gameplay means a more refined game. The industry will never move past the concept because it isn't a objectively inferior method of game design. If this game ends up not meeting expectations it will be because it wasn't made well enough, not because it was linear.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

@__Link__

Pretty much this. Mighy N.9 is pretty weak compared to Mega Man. I'd be far more hyped if this were an actual new mega man game, with organic/nature based stages and Robot masters rather than the stuff we're getting...

BensonUii

BensonUii said:

Well, it's look way better than the last one featured here in NLife which I didn't like. Now I am swayed. Although it has to be 9/10 from Thomas to justify a Day-1 purchase. :D

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Geonjaha I understand that perfectly well. I never said I was boycotting them because I don't like their games. Not sure how you came to that ill-informed conclusion. I said despite liking those games, I am not buying them new, only used. As in, I do like the games. I do desire to play them. Yet I'm choosing to not buy new. Which is exactly what you just said.

Maybe you read someone else's post and accidentally responded to me? Must've, cause I never said anything about not wanting their games. Said I'll buy used only. Obviously, if I didn't want them I wouldn't buy them at all.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

The only thing I don't like is how it doesn't feel like the characters and the level are all part of the same world. It feels kind of like a bad green screen where you can tell something just isn't quite right about it. Still though looking forward to the game.

WanderingPB

WanderingPB said:

@sinalefa if u have a STEAM account im not going to use my code so feel free to use it. ZFJ09-T8JD6-LZ2M0 (if not anyone who wants to try out the code feel free and enjoy!)

Im very happy i participated in this kickstarter and cant wait for it to come out!!!

WanderingPB

WanderingPB said:

@unrandomsam i don't really play games on a PC plus dont have a decent enough one to play in to be completely honest. Glad someone got a chance to use it. I also had a few codes for WiiU Shovel Knight but by the time i gave them to my friend they were already used. I prefer to be surprised and play the game brand new so this beta doesnt really change my mind on how much i want to play the final product. So enjoy my friend happy gaming!

Grimlock_King

Grimlock_King said:

Here's hoping this turns out to be a great game. But... it might only be me but it seems like it won't be great.

TheGoof

TheGoof said:

For all the complaining about this game looking bland and lifeless, why don't you guys go to the web site for this game and let them know how you feel so that they can look at the issue and improve.
Not sit here commenting as if they will come here personally and see what you say.