Video: Mario Kart 8 Isn't The Only New Mario Kart Game You Can Play In 2014

Posted by Damien McFerran

You'll have to leave the house, though

There once was a time when the latest arcade hits were ported to home consoles with great fanfare, but these days most coin-ops are left in their natural habitat. That's been the case with the Mario Kart Arcade GP series, produced in collaboration between Nintendo and Bandai Namco Games.

It's a shame, because Mario Kart Arcade GP DX — the latest instalment in the line — is looking pretty special, as you can see from the attract sequence below. Not only does it showcase the usual combat racing action, but you can also combine your powers with another player to create a super-powerful "Fusion Kart" capable of firing shells at rival drivers.

The game is hitting western arcades this year, and may even be installed in a venue near you already. Have you played it? Do you think Nintendo and Bandai Namco should port the game — or the entire series — to home consoles? Share your thoughts by posting a comment below.

[via gonintendo.com]

KikReask

KikReask said:

Considering Pac-Man is already in Smash Bros it would be nice to see some arcade related DLC for Mario Kart 8 if we don't get a port.

Laxeybobby

Laxeybobby said:

Love the two player fusion kart, an evolution from the GameCube version of MK.
That would have worked well on WiiU as one player would use the TV whilst the other the game pad when fused.

Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh said:

Yes, I would like to get a Wii U port of this, as I don't expect to find these arcades where I live.

TourianTourist

TourianTourist said:

Interestingly enough, I've played Mario Kart in pseudo coop to 3 star all the 150cc and Mirror cups. If the AI cheats, so do we.

The fusion kart would have been sweet for this... :D

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

@Ventilator It's not developed by Nintendo - Bandai Namco are responsible for this, which could explain why there's no more feature cross over.

Cresartist

Cresartist said:

Am I the only one that wants DLC for Mario Kart 8 based on this game? I love the courses!

TICGS

TICGS said:

Please may Nintendo take all 3 MarioKart Arcade Games and port them to the Wii U as bundled title with all 3 together.

PAppleyard

PAppleyard said:

There are no arcades anywhere near me. I've also never seen a Mario Kart Arcade game. Would love to though.

SuperKMx

SuperKMx said:

They actually have these in TWO locations in Paignton, Devon. One of them is a 4-seater setup. I was blown away, given the most recent other machine in teh town is a Race Driver GRID Arcade from three or four years ago.

The game is decent fun but there's not much of a draw to pay £1 a race when I've got a very similar - and better looking, in places - game sitting at home that I can play for as long as I want. :)

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

I've played previous Mario Kart Arcade GP's before and found them quite underwhelming, especially if you compare them to F-Zero AX (haven't played AX but it looks much more fun).

norwichred

norwichred said:

I played a Mario kart arcade game for the first time this summer. Dunno which one it was, but the handling was awful, and the graphics excruciatingly bad. I put a quid in, played one track, won, and then was asked to put another quid in to continue!

ZeroZX_Dev

ZeroZX_Dev said:

Oh yeah, I saw this at Dave and Busters during my trip to Tennessee. Didn't get to try it though, had save my money to eat.(And buy my new art tablet <3!)

dkxcalibur

dkxcalibur said:

My older son and I both played it at Dave & Busters. I honestly think Mario Kart 8 is the better game by a mile. While it's cool to see and play this in the arcade, I would rather play my Wii U and Mario Kart 8 @ home. We waited in line to play it and it reminded me of other arcade racers but with Mario. It wasn't horrible, it just wasn't Mario Kart.

dkxcalibur

dkxcalibur said:

I just want to add that the game was fun. I don't want to sound like it was garbage, we had fun playing it.

Drobotic

Drobotic said:

I wish there were more arcades in my area that aren't Chuck E. Cheeses.Guess I'll stick to MK8 for now,

MacMan

MacMan said:

I would like a port of them as DLC for MK8. That way Nintendo should not need to worry about any consumer confusion about which MK game to purchase. I would pay to have them as DLC too for MK8.

KingofSaiyans

KingofSaiyans said:

Wish the fusion kart mode was implemented in Mario Kart 8. It would have made the game pad more useful

PsychoticRanboo

PsychoticRanboo said:

Dude I would buy the crap out of this if it was ported to the Wii U! I've never even seen a Mario Kart arcade machine, let alone played one!

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

My wife and I got to play it in Springdale, Ohio at Dave and Busters while we were on a trip to Cincinnati this May (a few weeks before MK8 came out which we have played the crud out of) and we loved it. We played every track at least once together. If I was a rich man I would have bought one of my own no doubt. Here's a few of our pictures from it : http://imgur.com/a/6bnnE

As a side note, no it's not as good as Mario Kart 8, but it was a lot of fun as an arcade racer. Having played the original Mario kart GP arcade at Disney World back in 2012, I can say this one is better in several different ways.

GloverMist

GloverMist said:

Man, I hope this makes its way over to Britain. It probably won't, and I don't live near any arcades (read: any seasides), but I'd still love it!

SushiGummy

SushiGummy said:

Please insert 1 coin(s)
Versus can be played with 2 players
Please insert 1 coin(s)
Versus can be played with 2 players

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

XD welp you got your double dash karts!

Geez I've only played the first mario arcade kart. I need to find the other arcade mario karts.....and a Dave n' busters.

Blueberry

Blueberry said:

I think this looks even better than MK8! It has brighter colours and looks less "realistic". If they'd bring this to the Wii U I'd consider buying it. But nobody can expect that. The game runs on a custom Windows 8 platform, not Nintendo hardware like the the earlier Mario Kart Arcade games. So it's not trivial to convert it like F-Zero AX > GX. Still, Nintendo seems to be more crowd pleasing recently.

Mario-Fan

Mario-Fan said:

Some of these courses look really nice. 1 of them looked like it was from Super Mario 3D Land. Id love to see these courses in HD and on Mario Kart 8 as a DLC.

BarryDunne

BarryDunne said:

I know what this means...I'm going to have to eventually buy these arcade machines to own every Mario Kart game...I'm down for that! lol XD

Dankykong

Dankykong said:

There's a first Mario Kart arcade game (whatever it was called) in Disneyland (California) and it was awesome, but even while I live in LA and there are a handful of arcade I can go to, none of them ever have this. :( Even the other versions

Drawdler

Drawdler said:

There's a Mario Kart arcade game at a cinema near me. Had fun playing it, though they're probably not going to upgrade to a newer one soon. The Peach Castle course looks cool. :)

"Not only does it showcase the usual combat racing action, but you can also combine your powers with another player to create a super-powerful "Fusion Kart" capable of firing shells at rival drivers."
Crash: Tag Team Racing, anyone? :P

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

Well looks like the Fusion is quite a swell surprise though it has been done before in Crash Tag Team Racing, though I haven't played it yet. Arcades are pretty much dead around where I live so I doubt I'll ever play this like the other sequels. I played the original and it charged me 4 coins to continue the race in the cup even though I got 1st place. These games are amazing but they charge so much since its a strong license and that's the weakpoint to these arcade games.

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

I would absolutely support porting these games to home console, at least the first few especially since the gamepad camera would work perfect for the head shots. My guess as to why they haven't is it would be hard to justify shelling out several thousand dollars for an arcade game when you can play it at home for much less, and that is bad business.

Then again that didn't stop Pac-Man, Galaga and nearly every other 80's arcade game being ported perfect by the end of the decade.

Janj

Janj said:

@Jesson125 How soon do they arrive? I think the one in Concord (NC) never had the old Mario Kart Arcade, but one in Cary (also NC, closer to me) did. I wonder how long it would take until either one has the new one?