Twitch is Going to Play Pokémon X on a Modded 3DS

Posted by Tim Latshaw

Hold on to your Helix Fossils this 26th July

Twitch's journey through the Pokémon titles has been quite remarkable, catching tons of viewers and somehow nearly indoctrinating them into a crowd-conjured cult. While the original outing received the most attention, Twitchers have been rambling their way through the series and are poised to attack the most recently released entry, Pokémon X.

Sure, there's no workable emulator on which to play the game through Twitch, but that's only a speed bump of a fact on the Victory Road of Mass Lunacy. dekuNukem, the modder who created a "Shiny Pokémon Finder", has focused his special set of skills and created a streaming 3DS that can be controlled by external inputs. According to a brief interview with Destructoid, dekuNukem is happy not just to let such technology fall into Twitch's hands, but provide even more routes of interactivity through the 3DS online connection:

...it's a great honor that I can contribute to the community and using the experience to make TPPX possible on a real 3DS. And since the game is running on a real 3DS, wireless connectivity will enable stream players to battle or trade with strangers around the world, and passerby are able to influence the stream by offering O-Power or trading. All in all, I believe that the last TPP is something really special, and online interaction with real players around the world will play a non-neglectable role during the course of TPPX.

You can view the Frankenstein's monstrosity in all its glory within the video below:

The Twitch Plays Pokémon channel is set to depart from Vaniville Town on 26th July at 9 p.m. Pacific Time. In the meantime, they've been driving villagers mad in Animal Crossing: New Leaf. Will you take part in the newest massive multiplayer Pokémon journey? Do you dare challenge thousands upon thousands of chatroom mashers to a battle? Let us know below.

[via destructoid.com]

Alpha2797

Alpha2797 said:

I didn't think they'd be able to do it but somehow they are going to do 6th gen? I'll be watching some of it every now and then! :D

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

I stopped following after gen 2, but man I'm impressed they were somehow able to play X. I guess I'll watch for a short while just to check how it works...

NavySpheal

NavySpheal said:

I have a feeling Nintendo might shut this down. I don't want them too, but it seems expected.

Iggly

Iggly said:

The shenanigans are strong in this one, I can see a lot of people trolling on this journey.

Tops

Tops said:

I feel like this is better suited for retro games but yeah, I lost interest a long time ago.

GalacticMario28

GalacticMario28 said:

Interactivity with owners of X and Y? Sign me up. This will get me to start paying more attention to TPP again.

eaglebob345

eaglebob345 said:

I would rather play the game myself. That and hackers and modders are never a good thing. This may just prompt Nintendo to take legal action. I'm pretty sure that there is something in the terms and condition that we all agreed to when first booting the system about modding and hacking.

BLPs

BLPs said:

@Mecha_Boo

Yes. Yes it is. But are they taking the hint? Good the first time, albeit a show of human idiocy, but after that? It's just a waste of time. It was an experiment the first time, now it is a attention grabber for Twitch.

BLPs

BLPs said:

And yeah...now the words modded have entered the fray...this isn't even legal.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

@shaneoh There are helix fossils in X/Y. In the cave behind route 9 (I think it was Glowing Cave), you can find various fossils in the last cave by using rock smash on the rocks. Each has a chance to give you a certain fossil. And helix fossils are a part of that.

@BLPs None of the TTP parts were legal in any way to begin with (emulators, duh). Modding 3DS isn't allowed, but at least they're using a legit copy of Pokémon X for this one.

Theober555

Theober555 said:

Access to the home button is going to be a bad idea, especially when trolls start joining in again

xerneas

xerneas said:

Okay I never thought this would actually be possible.. Why circle pad tho? OKay, it's more unpredictable but there's the d-pad too. Might check on this, haven't watched since Emerald..

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Forced memes and people spamming buttons for hours. No thanks, I'm keeping clear.

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

@BLPs
All the mod does is accept external input, and output audio/video signals suitable for streaming. It still can play legit games only. All legal. Sure, the warranty is void, but that's it.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

I'm surprised that Nintendo would allow this. I just remember the minecraft pixelmon mod, they were strictly told they were not allowed to use 6 gen

BLPs

BLPs said:

@GeminiSaint

I am not sure but hey, if the big N falls on em, so be it. Their own fault for turning a one of experiment into a fanatical cult and seeing how far it can go.

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

@ikki5 There's nothing illegal about this. Why would ninty take it down? :P

Besides, people cant even play the game without interruption. so there's no point in taking it down 'because people are playing for free'

Findonovan95

Findonovan95 said:

Something about this doesn't seem right, lol But then, something about TPP has never seemed right. Ah well. :/

Drawdler

Drawdler said:

Quickly! Someone start spamming the circle pad and then d-pad so they're stuck switching the rollerblades on and off!

I don't think it's absurd that TPP has kept going, despite being so repetitive. It seems most people stick around for the community rather than the game (and a lot of people don't even watch the stream).
I haven't bothered going on the Twitch page once since Platinum, though, which I checked once. IMO the run with the best story was Crystal, which started horribly but ended pretty well. Red was the most fun to watch because there was a lot of novelty to it. I didn't watch much of anything after that, but it seems boring since there's little novelty left and each new game starts off slow.

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

Hahaha, someone gave them a "Lady Helix" in a trade!
Also, it looks like lots of people all over the world are showering them with O powers. That's pretty cool!

Naoiko

Naoiko said:

Oh geez. Yeah I'll stick to watching the stream instead of attempting to input anything. I gets crazy, but oh so fun to watch!