Nintendo Download: 12th June (Europe)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Punch-Out!! gets Super, Inazuma has some GO, AiRace is back and much more

It's the day before Nintendo causes internet meltdown at E3 2014, yes, but that doesn't mean we don't have the normal business of the download update to consider. This week brings another 3DS retail release, some retro treats, discounts and new download titles on both Wii U and 3DS. Let's get to the details.

Wii U eShop

My First Songs (Ringzero Game Studio, €9.99 / £8.99) — As the name suggests this is a karaoke game for young gamers that utilises the GamePad microphone for easy play. Despite its cute exterior this one has some problems, which we outline in our My First Songs review.

Wii U Virtual Console

Super Punch-Out!! (Nintendo, €7.99 / £5.49) — The original title was available for less than a chocolate bar earlier this year, and now the extravagant and popular 16-bit sequel finally arrives. With loud, colourful visuals and wacky opponents, this was a fairly dramatic change from the NES title yet still keeps core ideas and high difficulty in the ring. We were still fans in our recent Super Punch-Out!! review.

Soccer (Nintendo, €4.99 / £3.49) — We're not sure about soccer here in Europe, but we do like a bit of football, and this one arrives with the World Cup just days away. Arguments over naming aside, this is another one of those simple self-named sports games that graced the early years of the NES; unfortunately, we don't think this one is very good. We'll give it another kick, but in the meantime you can check out our Wii Virtual Console Soccer review.

Wii U eShop Permanent Discounts

Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag (Ubisoft, €29.99 / £19.99, was €69.99 / £55.99)

Just Dance 2014 (Ubisoft, €29.99 / £19.99, was €49.99 / £34.99)

Just Dance Kids 2014 (Ubisoft, €19.99 / £15.99, was €39.99 / £29.99)

Puddle (Neko Entertainment, €6.99 / £6.29, was €9.99 / £8.99)

3DS eShop

AiRace Xeno (QubicGames, €2.49 / £2.29) — The high-speed flying series makes its second appearance on the 3DS, arriving with a lower price point, nine new levels and three new jets to race. This could be a fun option for some fast pick-up-and-play gaming; we'll accelerate our efforts for a review.

Atlantic Quest (Joindots, €6.99 / £5.99) — The match-three puzzle craze seemingly never ends, but that's probably because they're particularly popular games. This entry does bring an environmental tale on the impact of an oil spill in the sea, while throwing in some "fantasy RPG" elements; despite being part of an over-abundant genre, this earned a recommendation in our Atlantic Quest review.

3DS Virtual Console

Mach Rider (Nintendo, €3.99 / £3.59) – A title from the early days of the NES, in its day this was over-shadowed by high-profile rivals. That's a shame, as it serves up high-tempo and entertaining racing action, four modes, manual gears and even a track creation tool. All rather nifty for 1985, as we explain in our Mach Rider review.

3DS Retail Download

Inazuma Eleven GO: Light & Shadow (Level-5, €39.99 / £34.99) — Available from 13th June. The spin-off series arrives in the West at last, with two variations shooting for your attention. It continues much of the gameplay from the original trilogy on DS and 3DS, though does introduce some new ideas and a fresh cast to join old favourites. The first entry in the series developed ground-up for the 3DS, we gave this a solid recommendation in our Inazuma Eleven GO: Shadow & Light review.

3DS eShop Temporary Discounts

Nintendo Pocket Football Club (Nintendo, €11.99 / £10.79 until 19th June, normally €14.99 / £13.49)

Football Up 3D (EnjoyUp Games, €1.74 / £1.49 until 17th July, normally €6.99 / £5.99)

2 Fast 4 Gnomz (QubicGames, €2.99 / £2.69 until 3rd July, normally €4.99 / £4.49)

AiRace Speed (QubicGames, €2.99 / £2.69 until 3rd July, normally €4.99 / £4.49)

Bit Boy!! ARCADE (Bplus, €4.99 / £4.49 until 3rd July, normally €7.99 / £7.19)

Those are your download treats for this week, European gamers. Let us know what you're planning to pick up in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (169 votes)

My First Songs (Wii U eShop)

Super Punch-Out!! (Wii U Virtual Console)

18%

Soccer (Wii U Virtual Console)

Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag (Wii U eShop permanent discount)

Just Dance 2014 (Wii U eShop permanent discount)

Just Dance Kids 2014 (Wii U eShop permanent discount)

Puddle (Wii U eShop permanent discount)

AiRace Xeno (3DS eShop)

Atlantic Quest (3DS eShop)

Mach Rider (3DS Virtual Console)

Inazuma Eleven GO: Light & Shadow (3DS retail download)

Nintendo Pocket Football Club (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Football Up 3D (3DS eShop temporary discount)

2 Fast 4 Gnomz (3DS eShop temporary discount)

AiRace Speed (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Bit Boy!! ARCADE (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Nothing for me this week

63%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Romeo

Romeo said:

ffs.. just give me shantae and the pirate's curse already
big news regarding that game coming this week though..

outburst

outburst said:

Finally Super Punch Out! Now I just need to find a cheap brand new (sealed) Punch Out Wii.
Punch Out U on E3? :D

MouldyK

MouldyK said:

Here's hoping some suprise reveals on Tuesday to make this list better.

conman2012

conman2012 said:

Been waiting for the Black Flag price drop. Won't be getting it anytime soon, but probably will pick that up later this year.

Kiz3000

Kiz3000 said:

@MouldyK This, so much this.

So they've realised that the World cup is upon us and decided to release or discount the football titles. I was expectIng Nintendo to release Mario Strikers U for the World Cup but it looks like I won't get my wish. :(

(Unless it will be shown on Tuesday and it will be a "this title is only on eshop and will be available after this presentation ends.")

Mooj738

Mooj738 said:

Definitely a addition during e3, seems light fingers crossed we get a surprise addition tomorrow for Thursday, list is basic this week

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

I expected a discount on Black Flag, but I guess a pricecut's pretty neat, too.
Still not sure WHEN I'll get it, but I'll definitely buy it at some point.

For now it's waiting for tomorrow and see if they're announcing something/surprise us with another "available after this presentation"-game.

@Kiz3000 YES PLEASE! :3
That would be awesome. Mario Strikers is one of my favourite Mario Spin-offs together with Kart and the RPGs. If they announce this, they've won E3 for me :D

ledreppe

ledreppe said:

Nothing on 3DS this week, oh well, I'll go ahead and order Golden Abyss for the Vita then.

Emblem

Emblem said:

Yep I'm also guessing were getting a demo or game announced for immediate download after E3, the line up otherwise means nothing for me for once.

DrJoson

DrJoson said:

Really enjoyed Punch-Out!! Wii and the original so I'm definitely going to try Super. At least we get 3 virtual console games this week, even if one of them looks like garbage.

MussakkuLaden

MussakkuLaden said:

If I didn't have it already, I'd feel extremely happy seeing Super PO arrive. However, as I do have it on the Wii already, and didn't like it nearly as much as the amazing original (but maybe I just didn't invest enough time into it), this appears as a rather shallow week to me. But no problem, the previous weeks were all too great and it'll take me month or years to catch up all these games.

Hurblyburbly

Hurblyburbly said:

Are they ever going to release n64 and GameCube games on virtual console?
I just don't get the big N sometimes......so unbelievably frustrating. :(

BF-Medic

BF-Medic said:

Was kinda hoping for Nintendo World Cup. Would've been so much better then Soccer.

MajinSoul

MajinSoul said:

Nothing for me this week. I also hope there is a new Mario Football game coming or at least Mario Smash Football GC VC

wizball-23

wizball-23 said:

FUN FACT: the usage "soccer" is found in at least one European country — Ireland, which (like America and Australia) has another sport that it calls "football".

MAB

MAB said:

@wizball-23 Well, the Footballroos just doesn't have the same ring to it as the Socceroos... Also the goalkeeper uses his/her hands along with players throwing the ball in from the sideline which makes it not exactly 100% usage of foot all the time ;)

Game-Over

Game-Over said:

Nice to see a return to home consoles on the Wii U VC but aside from Super Punch Out there isn't much to get excited about, why is stuff being released so slowly. Something significant needs to happen in terms of the Wii U VC and E Shop, a new console being added would be nice or just an increase in what's being released for download every week. A little more needs to be added in terms of variety and choice.

Game-Over

Game-Over said:

For those new to the Wii U and the VC things are probably going well enough but i think people who had the old Wii console and have already downloaded many of the games that are on offer it can seem like Nintendo are just slowly and somewhat frustratingly going over the same ground. I don't mind downloading some of the old stuff again but it would be nice to see something new too, the introduction of the Gameboy Advance is not enough.

onery

onery said:

Got blown by a mix of Tomodachi, Ittle and some miscellaneous others. Not to mention picking up 1000 Spikes... Yea, a break this week. :)

Razor61289

Razor61289 said:

Disappointing week but then after the awesomeness of the last few, it's not surprising. Was hoping for Nintendo World Cup, band perhaps a super saving on FIFA 13.

Vriess

Vriess said:

Nothing for me this week, but do appreciate the VC NES and SNES titles. We need more of those.

jjmesa16

jjmesa16 said:

@Tsurii897 Mario Strikers charged was good but I think I like the one for the Gamecube more. I thought that there was too much going on in the Wii version. I hope they keep it simple like the original. What about a Mario Party, Mario Baseball, or Mario Sports Mix for Wii U? A new Mario Basketball for 3DS?

I don't think that I'll be picking anything up this week but I might pick up Puddle later (when I recover from Mario Kart 8).

smikey

smikey said:

@jjmesa16
Mario Party is a wii u certainty at some point.
I too would love another mario baseball more than the other sports but I'd love mario golf on wii u too but since it's just hit 3 ds I'm guessing it will be at least a 2 year wait if ever.

As for this week's e-shop I'm having a week off (though I do think they'll put something up tomorrow which i'll probably buy)

Would love to see Animal crossing wii u some time soon too.

Finntendo

Finntendo said:

@MAB

And "American Football" - and they use their feet...? To running... oh yes, that's football (and occasionally for kicking) :P

Still no drop for Ken's Rage.

ACIV - one online retailer here sold it for 21e already during the spring so I got it then already.