Video: We Blast Around Five Of Our Favourite New Tracks In Mario Kart 8

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Mii spotted in rather tight racing leathers

Mario Kart 8 is creeping ever closer, bringing with it plenty of excitement for Wii U owners. Nintendo produced a rather entertaining Mario Kart 8 Direct recently, and there's plenty of buzz about this one online.

Like many others we're planning quite a few videos ahead of release to show you what it's all about, but in a similar style to previous videos for games such as Super Mario 3D World and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze we're aiming to just given some tantalising, teasing looks at some of our favourite parts. Hopefully enough to excite you, without spoiling entire tracks or secret routes.

To kick us off below is a short video with snippets of five of our favourite new courses. We chose the following ones:

• Water Park
  • Shy Guy Falls
  • Sunshine Airport
  • Mount Wario
  • Bowser's Castle

Your humble writer plays as his Mii in this video, so if you always wanted to see a bespectacled, bearded Mii of a robust figure in a rather tight-fitting set of red racing leathers, this is the footage for you.

Enjoy!

marko

marko said:

ahh i hate you guys for playing this game while we have to wait for it !!

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

Why does your mii sound like bowser jr on helium in this game? This game looks awesome btw.

yoko19191

yoko19191 said:

I haven't seen enough credit for Mount Wario where credit is due. Look at all the stuff going on in that course! You drive out of an aircraft at the start, Ride along a dam, and race through a thick forest with a Billie Jean-esque tune playing in the background! AND THAT MUSIC OHHHH

FubumblR

FubumblR said:

For being in first that wasn't very much ink coverage on the screen for the blooper item. Slightly disappointing.

Hy8ogen

Hy8ogen said:

@Faron I did not own the Wii :/ This is pretty sweet! Thank god I pre-ordered it. I can see this game flying off shelves. So good luck to those who did not pre-order and does not want digital copies.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Shy Guy Falls looks really fun. I mean, you're going up and down a waterfall.

Mount Wario looks epic with the helicopter start and the three-section structure from Mario Kart 7 returning.

And this game's Bowser's Castle looks like the best one yet. It seems to get pretty much everything right.

SomeBitTripFan

SomeBitTripFan said:

Clearly seeing some F-Zero in the track design, which is a good thing. If only we could get some actual F-Zero to top it off...

Blue-Thunder

Blue-Thunder said:

Yeah the tracks look more F Zero than MK. Kart racing should be all bunched up, not spread out. The track design reminded me a bit off Sonic all star racing transformed, a game I bought and played once (it's on my list of games to play) :-)

I have it preordered so I'll be able to judge for myself soon but the longer I wait the less excited I'm getting and this video didn't help.

K-Gamer

K-Gamer said:

I was suprised to see Water Park in the mushroom cup, looks kinda hard. Shy guy falls will be loved. The New tracks in this game really stand out from previous entries.

luke88

luke88 said:

I'm a bit worried about the bump/mini boost mechanic to be honest. It seems like it rewards playing badly a little, surely the object of a racing game is not to bump into walls and so on. I also enjoy playing as heavy characters/ in heavy cars and barging other characters off the road. It looks like, in large sections of the tracks, that whole dynamic has been changed entirely.

I'm going to try to put all doubts to one side: I've never been in the least bit disappointed by a mk game and I have almost total faith in Nintendo as far as this one is concerned. Cannot wait.

luke88

luke88 said:

ah, having watched the video a second time to double check, I think what Thomas actually bumped in to was not, in fact, a random wall but actually some kind of little boost wheel type things; I can get on board with that. Mini pre-bedtime breakdown and subsequent nightmares averted.

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

@luke88 Don't worry, it's an antigravity only, specific piece only, not every wall, boost that you get ONLY if you bumb into those specific thingys or other cars :)

Psyclone

Psyclone said:

pre ordered mine at Best Buy, woot free gas + game and free delivery! can't wait

OmegaStar

OmegaStar said:

"Mii spotted in rather tight racing leathers."

Wow, they sure put a lot of detail in the models! :P

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Couldn't stay into the Wii and 3DS games, gonna give the series one more try with this one. I like the new F-Zero-like feature, you know...the anti-gravity tracks and all that. xD
(also the Youtube feature that I hope they continue to use in future games)

Tommeh

Tommeh said:

Got the mk bundle in order, this has just got me really excited, and I was looking forward to it already!

Acampbell128

Acampbell128 said:

Stop it NL. Im trying not to watch these Mario Kart videos so there will be some element of surprise when it comes out. Meanwhile, this is first game on Wii U that ive actually started counting down days on. Its like being back and school and counting the days til summer.