Super Smash Bros. on 3DS Just Got More Real - Lumiose City Confirmed as a New Stage

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Fight on The Prism Tower

Over the many weeks of daily screenshots from Masahiro Sakurai on the Super Smash Bros. Miiverse Director's room, those desiring the 3DS version may have felt that the Wii U iteration was getting shown a lot more love. That was probably the case, though in recent times Sakurai-san has posted more images of the portable title, and today has revealed a new stage that's likely to excite a lot of gamers.

It's Lumiose City from Pokémon X & Y.

Sakurai-san's accompanying message also suggests that this attractive setting could be a fun scene for a brawl.

Pic of the day. The Prism Tower rises above Lumiose City. Up until a few seconds ago, the fighters were brawling on top of that tower. No, really.

It looks like the 3DS version of this title will incorporate a number of the biggest hits on the system, with Animal Crossing: New Leaf's Tortimer Island also confirmed recently.

Are you excited about the appearance of the Kalos region's city? Let us know in the comments below.

[via miiverse.nintendo.net]

Related Games

torotoid64

torotoid64 said:

When I saw this at first I was like "wait PARIS?!" then I woke up and was like Ohhhhh lumoise city :D haha

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I had a feeling there would be a Lumiose City stage for the 3DS version, so this is cool. I love how the 3DS version has stages for almost all of Nintendo's major first-party games for 3DS. Nintendogs + Cats, Ocarina of Time 3D, Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, and now Pokemon X and Y have representation. I'd like to see stages for Star Fox 64 3D, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Paper Mario: Sticker Star, and A Link Between Worlds.

I wish the Wii U version was the same way with stages from recent big Wii U games like Super Mario 3D World and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, but all it has so far is Pikmin 3 and Sonic: Lost World.

Squid

Squid said:

It looks great. Just be careful not to save while fighting there!

Azooooz

Azooooz said:

Since Lumiose City is a really big stage, it can be like Delfino island on Brawl.

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

@DestinyMan Well we might see those stages a bit later this year. He takes his time with posting new stage pics and characters. Chances are though he probably doesn't create dedicated levels until the related games have been out for a while (Sonic was probably cause it was a high profile release from a 3rd party).

Considering the number of cross over games SquareEnix does with Nintendo (Fortune Street, Sports Mix, Mario Hoops 3 on 3) I'm actually kind of surprised we haven't seen a Black Mage character yet for Smash Bros (or a Chocobo assist).

@CaptainSquid NO SAVING DURING BATTLE. If only they could make a reference to that by not allowing you to "pause" for fights on this stage.

Sakurai should think about talking to Sega/Atlus about SMT x FE. He might get some Wii U stage ideas related to that. Or maybe some levels based on TW101 since it seems like the setting could work well (and environmental hazards such as the team hitting you as collateral damage).

I wonder if there will be any Namco related material. It has been awfully quiet in that direction (though then again there hasn't been a new Tales game outside of Sony consoles for a while).

Porky

Porky said:

Boo. Oh well, if it has past pokemon music then I may want to play on it.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

The moment I saw this it instantly became my favorite 3DS stage so far it looks gorgeous I can only imagine the 3D effect.

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

I was surprised to see a stage of a place in a Nintendo universe I did not recognize (kind of a rare thing for me) but then I realized it was a Pokemon level. One first party series I actually never play.

Expa0

Expa0 said:

Oh, I was wondering where the pic was from. Lumiose city was the worst place to be in X/Y imho, it was confusing, pain to control and way too big for it's own good.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

So, most likely the WiiU will get an arena-esque level in the vein of the two "Stadium" stages we've seen in Melee and Brawl, while the 3DS will witness a throwback (concept-wise) to the original's Saffron City stage.

Either way - as even @ThomasBW84 himself admitted - it's good to see Sakurai finally showing more about the SSB4 iteration I care about the most.

KeithTheGeek

KeithTheGeek said:

The pulled out screen shot shows how much of a mess Lumiose city is. There's no real landmark in the city itself since every building, besides the Prism Tower, is a mirror of the building on the other half of the city. Add on top of that a terrible camera (yeah, looked good in the trailer, but it's awful for navigating the city) and something that felt big for big's sake...it's just an annoying city. But I guess I prefer it here because of the pulled out look and because you won't actually have to NAVIGATE the city.

We haven't had any Pokemon stage yet that hasn't been man-made, have we? Even Spear Pillar, as worn down as it is, was still a monument built by people. If they want to do something interesting with stages changing layout/appearance like the 3DS Animal Crossing stage, they could always set a level in Twist Mountain and have varying levels of snowfall to represent Gen 5's season feature. Also, I hope we get a good amount of past Pokemon music- there are a lot of great songs that have STILL not been properly represented yet in Smash.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Man, I'm such a FFVII fanboi everything looks like Midgar to me :-)

Seems like a nice setting for a toy based Pokemon game. You just can't put NFC in your controller and not use it. 1 game in 18 months.

Looks like they are doing a good job of making the 3DS and Wii U versions distinct enough that people will want to own both. Smart move.

Has cross play been officially ruled out? If ever there was going to be a game where you could use your 3DS as a Wii U controller this would be the one. So much potential.

torotoid64

torotoid64 said:

@KeithTheGeek agreed music wise Kirby, metroid, zelda and Yoshi was best represented in brawl everything else felt meh Pokemon had the most boring tracks :/

marnelljm

marnelljm said:

I can't wait for this to come out. I bet the 3DS version sells much better than the Wii U version.

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

Awesome. The 3DS already has a rich library of game environments to choose from.

SakuraHaruka

SakuraHaruka said:

Since N64's Super Smash Bros that there was a stage of city from Pokemon universe (Saffron City), now return in the 3DS with the gorgeous Lumiose City.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

Looks fun. Hopefully Smash 64 stages like Saffron City will actually return this time. Brawl had none and that was a big disappointment to me.

yuwarite

yuwarite said:

That moment when you remember Nintendo owns one of the biggest IP's in gaming...

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

@SparkOfSpirit
Melee had 64's stages, Brawl had Melee's. This time around, we're likely to see such landmarks as Mushroomy Kingdom and Distant Planet returning, just to name two stages at random.

@yuwarite
Scratch that. Nintendo owns several.

Doma

Doma said:

I wonder if it will include the terrible zoomed-in camera, as a stage hazard.

JellySplat

JellySplat said:

I'll probably go ahead and buy the 3DS version. My brother will buy the Wii U version.

haniwa

haniwa said:

I hope the stage will reference the ghost girl or the saving glitch, dohoho.

WitchSugoi

WitchSugoi said:

:P @ at the Lumiose haters. I love this beautiful city with it's awesome gym, awesome stores and terrible camera angles.

I was pretty dead set on getting the Wii U version only but the stage reveals are REALLY tempting me to either double dip or go with the 3DS version.

Agent721

Agent721 said:

This site should rename itself Pokemon Life, given the number of Pokemon articles on the front page today...overkill much? Some of us don't play it & don't intend to start!

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Is this to say, because Pokemon is a portable based game franchise, that the Wii U version won't or will have less Pokemon stages?

Why don't you just take the Wii U out back and shoot it right now Nintendo?

WitchSugoi

WitchSugoi said:

@SockoMario : That'd be the easiest solution but problem is, I've been out of work for a long time so I have to be careful with my funds. Hopefully I have a new source of income by the time the game rolls around but I may not have a choice in the matter.

@Agent721

This actually falls under Smash Bros. news since this is a new stage in that game and they have reported on every single new reveal afaik so don't see why this would be an exception. But also, this is a Nintendo site and Pokemon is a Nintendo franchise so of course they'll report any news on it. They can't help that there's been quite a bit of it lately. Just be glad they don't report on the trading card game. lol :P

Manaphy2007

Manaphy2007 said:

while im getting the wii u version, i may end up getting the 3ds version too all cuz of this pic

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

I'm not a Pokémon fan but Lumiose City looks awesome in this game. I'm sure it will be one of my favorite stages. And for future announcements, Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is my favorite 3DS game so hopefully there will be a stage from that game added.