Harvest Moon: Connect To A New World Dominates for 3DS in Japan
Posted by Thomas Whitehead
Hardware sales for the region aren't pretty as PS4 drops
The latest Media Create Japanese chart results are in, and they have some interesting numbers to consider. Software sees the latest Harvest Moon title enjoy an impressive début, while a substantial drop in the PS4 system's sales — which some reports suggest is due to stock shortages — is likely contributing a little to 3DS games reasserting themselves on the software charts.
The begin with the software top 20, Harvest Moon: Connect To A New World makes an impressive start on the 3DS, clocking up a substantial 130,782 sales; fellow newcomer Kaseki Horider: Mugen Gear arrives at number three with 58,329 sales, with Yokai Watch still showing solid momentum for Level-5. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze remains as the only Wii U title in the top 20; lifetime sales are in parenthesis.
Note: All reputable sources at the time of writing are, rather oddly, missing number 14 from this Media Create chart. We'll check regularly and update this list when the information is available.
1. [3DS] Harvest Moon: Connect To A New World – 130,782 (New)
2. [PS4] Knack – 66,772 (376,076)
3. [3DS] Kaseki Horider: Mugen Gear – 58,329 (New)
4. [PS3] Yakuza: Ishin – 54,148 (192,305)
5. [3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Iru and Luca’s Wonderful Mysterious Keys – 53,276 (687,709)
6. [3DS] Yokai Watch – 37,493 (496,455)
7. [PS3] Deception IV: Blood Ties – 23,254 (New)
8. [PS4] Yakuza: Ishin – 22,466 (105,006)
9. [PSV] Deception IV: Blood Ties – 19,322 (New)
10. [3DS] Kirby: Triple Deluxe – 17,706 (475,502)
11. [PSV] Infinite Statos 2: Ignition Hearts – 15,213 (New)
12. [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Z – 14,479 (1,388,812)
13. [PS4] Battlefield 4 – 13,117 (37,916)
14. Currently unavailable.
15. [PSV] Valhalla Knights 3 Gold – 11,186 (New)
16. [3DS] Kuroko no Basuke: Shouri e no Kiseki – 10,378 (56,059)
17. [Wii U] Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze – 10,056 (60,103)
18. [PS4] Killzone: Shadow Fall – 8,501 (40,837)
19. [PS4] Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition – 8,430 (20,524)
20. [PS3] Infinite Statos 2: Ignition Hearts – 8,246 (New)
The hardware results also make for some interesting reading. Both 3DS models enjoyed a boost, no doubt helped by the new Harvest Moon title, while the Wii U remained largely static with a small drop. The PS4 fall-off was substantial in its second week, with reports of supply constraints in Japan, as it fell to 65,685 units; the Wii U clearly had no such supply issues when it launched, as its week two sales at launch in Japan were 126,916, perhaps also helped by its Holiday season arrival. The results are below with last week's sales in parenthesis.
PlayStation 4 – 65,685 (309,154)
3DS LL – 26,027 (22,253)
PlayStation Vita – 21,581 (16,857)
PlayStation 3 – 13,155 (9,983)
3DS – 11,986 (9,898)
Wii U – 8,204 (8,407)
PSP – 3,652 (3,171)
PlayStation Vita TV – 1,543 (1,383)
Xbox 360 – 257 (241)
So that's another week down, with more positive software sales on the 3DS doing no harm for third-party support in the region. The Wii U is likely to remain low for the foreseeable future, but it'll be interesting to see how Sony's new system performs in future weeks, if there are indeed supply constraints at this point. With Japan being a sizeable market, the ongoing sales trends of systems across the major manufacturers will be interesting to watch.